News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Brad Bishop

I really don’t like how it’s going to be angled in relation to the park in the MK. In Shanghai, it faces directly at the park. It calls to you from the hub. From 300 yards away (or whatever it is) the light show is incredible and impressive.

Here, it’s almost turned sideways. Like it’s down an alley.

It won’t be the same kind of impressive show unless you’re behind SM facing it directly... and from there it can almost be too close to take it in.

I said something positive about it's placement and hoping the Imagineers do a good job early on in this thread.

The more I think about it the more I think:
- It's just poorly placed. It'd be like placing Splash Mountain right next to the Matterhorn or Space Mountain right next to the Matterhorn and then everyone being excited with, "Oh! New ride!," because they've all be ride-starved for 20+ years.
- As with you, the angle is wrong. This coaster should be something that is seen, not stuck back in a weird little corner at an odd angle.

It really feels like someone in a WDW meeting said, "We need something big and new for the 50th!," and someone else chimed in, "We could put in a Tron coaster - we've already built it once, just build it a gain - cost savings!," and then they just looked for a place to stick it in the MK. It really doesn't feel like it's had more thought than that.

The other thing that sucks is that I remember Space Mountain being lit up like a white jewel on the horizon when it was first built. You'd see the castle, and then glowing off to the right, Space Mountain, and it was exciting. You'd think that they could capture that again with the LEDs but they haven't. It's "lit" but dimly lit.

thecouch

Bocabear

The week before I went, the carousel had a wait time of 2 hours. For the carousel........ I didn't dare even look at the wait time for Pirates or Tron. Yes, the walkways are huge there, but goodness, I'd hate to see how many people actually show up to make the wait 2 hours.
The park desperately needs more attractions...even quick serve and more shops. When they count every meet and greet as an attraction, and a fiberglass Donald duck statue as an attraction, you know they are in trouble...but it seems to be the way they build parks anymore...all of the recent parks opened with way too few attractions...Shanghai is no exception...
The park layout is also disorienting with no central hub and a seemingly ponderous design...not the easiest park to navigate.

Missing20K

Jeez can they get a power wash up there?
In fairness that's a flat (sloped) roof with an interior roof drain. It probably looks like that after every rain. Roofs that are interior draining are usually....dirty. There isn't anywhere for the dirt to go due to the screen on the drain. When this is a concern, a better solution is to usually drain the roof through a scupper, or, in this instance, over a gravel stop edge into a horizontal gutter. There is typically less dirt accumulation with these methods, particularly the latter. Seeing as neither would have probably been acceptable, using a black EPDM instead of white would help hide the crud.

Casper Gutman

So Micechat is reporting that Tron is coming to Disneyland (if this is old news, my apologies), which prompts two thoughts:

1) Disney really want to convey the message that there is no need to go to WDW. Just go to DL - they are getting all the same rides, and aren’t losing classics to do it - MMRR is replacing nothing but part of a store, SWL necessitated only a shortening of the RoA (which I think turned out well). The only major build WDW is receiving that DL isn’t is Rat - but Marvel Land kind of offsets that.

2) It remains deeply irritating that the short, redundant, rider-limiting, out-of-date Tron is the overseas ride Disney is bent on copying and not Shanghai Pirates or Mystic Manor - or Tokyo’s Monsters or Pooh or B&B or...

lazyboy97o

So Micechat is reporting that Tron is coming to Disneyland (if this is old news, my apologies), which prompts two thoughts:

1) Disney really want to convey the message that there is no need to go to WDW. Just go to DL - they are getting all the same rides, and aren’t losing classics to do it - MMRR is replacing nothing but part of a store, SWL necessitated only a shortening of the RoA (which I think turned out well). The only major build WDW is receiving that DL isn’t is Rat - but Marvel Land kind of offsets that.

2) It remains deeply irritating that the short, redundant, rider-limiting, out-of-date Tron is the overseas ride Disney is bent on copying and not Shanghai Pirates or Mystic Manor - or Tokyo’s Monsters or Pooh or B&B or...
The scale of the existing design would be horrible in Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom