Love Bugs (Local Tips)

Cole Lay

Original Poster
Hello, I am a local to florida. I am currently in Saint Augustine, we do not have a big issue but here are many tips I have learned through my visit today, and my past experience as a Florida local. Lovebugs are attracted to bright colors, they DO NOT bite, spread disease, Poke, Sting, Hurt you in any way. They are safe just really annoying and gross. Lovebugs are out mainly in April/May, and August/September. They are still out other months and days but that is there prime time I believe. Another tips is to wear citrus perfume or cologne/deodorant, they really dislike the smell. And they also come out around noon so plan accordingly, they do not go inside at Disney that much. They are kind of mesquites, so big spray might be good, best thing is to stomp them. Hope this was helpful, Make sure you drink lots of water at the parks, and you are getting A/C.

mouse_luv

They're always there the months we visit. I shower in citrus body wash and they still bother me, so I don't know that the tip on that is accurate, just saying.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Love bugs usually come out to breed for about two weeks (why you see a lot in pairs) in May and another two weeks in September. Heavy during those weeks. Leading up to or shortly after you get remnants. Other than cars, clothes (if you try to smack them) they're not really a problem, just a bit annoying. But then again...it's probably annoying to them, when you swipe at them, while they're trying to do their thing...

Maybe Disney should do a "bug's life" type of attraction....Oh wait.....

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

It is just crazy- our neighbors have a pool, that they do not keep up- (covered and stagnant water) and they infest our yard, every year. We also have a kazillion frogs that also come from said pool. 😑 We have bug busters, citronella torches and candles everywhere but the only place they do not get all over us is when we are in our chlorinated pool! Gonna try the CO2 trap tho. Thanks for posting!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
It is just crazy- our neighbors have a pool, that they do not keep up- (covered and stagnant water) and they infest our yard, every year. We also have a kazillion frogs that also come from said pool. 😑 We have bug busters, citronella torches and candles everywhere but the only place they do not get all over us is when we are in our chlorinated pool! Gonna try the CO2 trap tho. Thanks for posting!

A long PVC pipe and some "equalizer" (based on the situation - pick your poison, literally) should cure the problem. I had one of those type neighbors once.

Paper straw fan

Thanks Cole, honestly I never really knew there was anything to repel love bugs. They bother me more just having to look at the front of my car lately!

DisneyFreak

We've had them everywhere the last 10 days or so here in Ft. Myers. Seems this year has been worse than the past couple of years. As of Sunday they seemed to have all of a sudden disappeared. They must be exhausted.

thomas998

We get love bugs here in Coastal SC --I'd rather have them instead of mosquitoes. Only draw back to love bugs is they get squashed all over your car when driving as was posted they are harmless
Yep that was the only bad thing I remember them when I lived In Florida. During the big bug seasons your car would be a complete mess from driving and you didn't want to leave the dead bugs on very long because in the sun they would dry on and become even more difficult to get off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom