Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

dlr74

Neither would I, but most do because at one time it was an E-Ticket.

No it wasn’t. The Disneyland Monorail required an E-ticket and was/is classified as an Attraction. The WDW Monorail was always classified as a mode of transportation outside of the park and required a “Transportation Ticket” separate from the Attraction tickets inside the park.

The WDW Monorail and the Skyliner gondolas shouldn’t qualify for that list. The WDW total should be 58, and the DL side 59.

DLR does and still will have more rides than WDW even with all the new additions being built on the east coast

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No it wasn’t. The Disneyland Monorail required an E-ticket and was/is classified as an Attraction. The WDW Monorail was always classified as a mode of transportation outside of the park and required a “Transportation Ticket” separate from the Attraction tickets inside the park.

The WDW Monorail and the Skyliner gondolas shouldn’t qualify for that list. The WDW total should be 58, and the DL side 59.

DLR does and still will have more rides than WDW even with all the new additions being built on the east coast

Wait, are you saying the monorail counts as a ride in Anaheim but not in Orlando?

FerretAfros

Wait, are you saying the monorail counts as a ride in Anaheim but not in Orlando?
Yes. It requires park admission to ride and is listed on the park map as an attraction. It is operated by attractions cast members. It is an attraction, and always has been; originally it only had one station and didn't even leave the park.

WDW's monorail, on the other hand, requires no park admission and is not listed as an attraction on the park maps. It is operated by transportation cast members. It is part of the resort's transportation network.

Functionally, it's no different than the parking lot trams or hotel buses. Same for the gondola. It's the same reason why the Friendship Boats can count for Epcot (where they provide transportation across World Showcase Lagoon) but not the Studios (where they only provide transportation to/from the hotels and International Gateway)

I also think it's a little disingenuous to count attractions that haven't yet opened (let alone haven't even been announced or broken ground) to boost WDW's numbers, but that's neither here nor there.

socalifornian

Yes. It requires park admission to ride and is listed on the park map as an attraction. It is operated by attractions cast members. It is an attraction, and always has been; originally it only had one station and didn't even leave the park.
View attachment 366880

WDW's monorail, on the other hand, requires no park admission and is not listed as an attraction on the park maps. It is operated by transportation cast members. It is part of the resort's transportation network.

Functionally, it's no different than the parking lot trams or hotel buses. Same for the gondola. It's the same reason why the Friendship Boats can count for Epcot (where they provide transportation across World Showcase Lagoon) but not the Studios (where they only provide transportation to/from the hotels and International Gateway)

I also think it's a little disingenuous to count attractions that haven't yet opened (let alone haven't even been announced or broken ground) to boost WDW's numbers, but that's neither here nor there.
Reminds me of a problem they had with an Avengers wrap when I was there. The Epcot monorail briefly enters the park, you just board outside its gates like you’re saying. Yet that loop around Spaceship Earth was enough to breach the Universal contract lol the monorails definitely serve a different purpose at wdw. They’re falling apart..literally
C153FC4A-B94B-4A95-9C9C-D6DDB34C91BC.jpeg

BrianLo

The same reason the Ferry boat to the Magic Kingdom is not a park attraction but Epcot’s friendship boats are.

Frankly I’m 1 million times more excited for the skyliner than some of the crap flats in DCA that I’ll never go on. But it is not a park attraction. The resort aspect of WDW is obviously way more robust.

kevlightyear

This conversation has 'derailed' from MMRR, but I have to add to it.....
This fixation on ride count is misguided without acknowledging that WDW and DL are different beasts entirely. For one, it doesn't include the more numerous stage shows available at WDW which can swallow large chunks of time. Second, it ignores the many areas that are 'experiences' in and of themselves (e.g. the countries of World Showcase, the exploration trails in DAK, etc). Not to mention the TWO waterparks, mini golf, boating/water sports, etc etc etc. WDW doesn't NEED the ride density of DL because there is gosh darn so much more to do!

Californian Elitist

This conversation has 'derailed' from MMRR, but I have to add to it.....
This fixation on ride count is misguided without acknowledging that WDW and DL are different beasts entirely. For one, it doesn't include the more numerous stage shows available at WDW which can swallow large chunks of time. Second, it ignores the many areas that are 'experiences' in and of themselves (e.g. the countries of World Showcase, the exploration trails in DAK, etc). Not to mention the TWO waterparks, mini golf, boating/water sports, etc etc etc. WDW doesn't NEED the ride density of DL because there is gosh darn so much more to do!

I don’t think anyone is fixated on it. Our conversations have been peaceful.

We’re strictly talking about rides, which is what we’ve been talking about, so it’s not misguided.😉

Disney Analyst

Has anyone heard if this means they will be finding a way to keep Toontown open during fireworks? Or only closed for a smaller time period? I can’t see them shutting down a new, signature attraction every night early?

BasiltheBatLord

Has anyone heard if this means they will be finding a way to keep Toontown open during fireworks? Or only closed for a smaller time period? I can’t see them shutting down a new, signature attraction every night early?
There was some word a few months back that they were looking into it, haven't heard anything else since.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The only way that the WDW monorail is 'free' is if a friend drops you off at a parking lot that you ordinarily would have to pay for (including the premium you pay for staying at a WDW resort which includes the price of 'free' transportation) or if you park at Disney Springs and take a Disney bus to Epcot or MK.

The same for the other modes of transportation. You have to get "in the bubble" to make use of them. Just how does one do that 'for free' (without abusing DS parking)? If you live in Orlando and wanted to take a free ride on the gondola, how are you going to do that with the resorts cracking down on free parking and the parks charging for parking?

jmuboy

I have a MRR question. So the current parade barn space behind TT looks to be about the same overall square footage as the GMR building in DHS. yes, the shape is different.

But if that is the case any reason why the Music days rehearsal hall would also be emptied and removed? Using it for additional queue space maybe? I know right now none of us really know for certain. I'm just curious.

TP2000

WDW says, "Hold my beers around the world"...

View attachment 366745
View attachment 366829

Upon closer inspection, and after following the fun conversation here, I realized you have included the Monorail and the upcoming Skyliner gondola system as "rides" in various theme parks. Your list even counts the Skyliner twice, as a ride in both Epcot and DHS, when it is in reality an aerial tramway from a handful of Moderate and Value hotels to DHS and Epcot and between.

I will have to respectfully disagree that those two things count as "rides" for any park in WDW, they are simply part of the property transportation system that many customers never use, or have no use for (If I'm staying at the Poly, why would I need to take a gondola from DHS to a Value motel? Certainly not to "experience" the food court or the Pop Warner teams running riot on the grounds.)

I wouldn't count the monorail, ferries or Skyliner as attractions considering they're transportation from one park to the other and you have to leave the park turnstiles to ride them. It's like counting the tram or the Busses to the Toy Story Lot as an attraction. I also wouldn't count the UK ride considering what we have is just rumors which can't seem to make up their mind.

I think the fair thing to do is remove the Monorail from the count as a "ride" at Disneyland, even though many would disagree with that. But we also need to remove the Monorail and the future Skyliner gondola system as theme park rides for WDW. After a little digging, you are also correct that the UK spinner is merely just a rumor and nothing has been announced by Disney.

This topic started after Disney formally announced that Disneyland would get Runaway Railway in 2022. We should stick to rides that either exist, are under construction, or have been formally announced by Disney. Rumors don't count.

With that, and removing the Monorail on both coasts and Skyliner gondolas from the ride tally, we have these numbers currently before Star Wars Land opens on either coast this summer, or Emotional Whirlwind opens this August.

April 2019 Ride Tally

Disneyland Park = 34 Rides, 11 are E Tickets
Disney California Adventure = 18 Rides, 5 are E Tickets
Disneyland Resort = 52 Rides, 16 are E Tickets

Magic Kingdom Park = 26 Rides, 7 are E Tickets
Epcot Center = 10 Rides, 4 are E Tickets
Disney's Hollywood Studios = 6 Rides, 3 are E Tickets
Disney's Animal Kingdom = 9 Rides, 5 are E Tickets
Walt Disney World Resort = 51 Rides, 19 are E Tickets

Announced Summer of 2022 Ride Tally

Disneyland Park = 37 Rides, 14 are E Tickets
Disney California Adventure = 20 Rides, 5 are E Tickets (this goes up by one E Ticket if Avengers Coaster is announced at D23)
Disneyland Resort = 57 Rides, 19 are E Tickets (58 Rides, 20 E Tickets if Avengers Coaster is announced)

Magic Kingdom Park = 27 Rides, 8 are E Tickets
Epcot Center = 12 Rides, 6 are E Tickets
Disney's Hollywood Studios = 9 Rides, 6 are E Tickets
Disney's Animal Kingdom = 9 Rides, 5 are E Tickets
Walt Disney World Resort = 57 Rides, 25 are E Tickets (58 Rides if UK Spinner is announced)

Um, okay. That surprised even me. After the huge E Ticket building spree that WDW is currently undergoing with six different E Tickets now under construction, that gets them to 57 rides, the same as Disneyland Resort in 2022 assuming the Avengers Coaster is not built by then. And if they do announce the Avengers Coaster this summer and it opens three years later, then Anaheim has 58 rides and still leads over WDW.

Since we are just weeks away from new rides starting to open in Anaheim, for much of calendar year 2019, Disneyland Resort will have 55 operating rides and 18 of them will be E Tickets

But still, the point is made and sits there for us to ponder, how did WDW's four theme parks that are all decades old fall so far behind on building rides for the last 25 years?!? And God help those poor CM's later this year at DHS as they try to open Star Wars Land in a theme park that has only a half dozen other rides in that park! That's just going to get ugly for those CM's.

Last edited:

cheezbat

Yeah it would make more sense and be cost effective for Disney but we’d be losing a cool element. Also, just because we’re in Toontown doesn’t mean we can’t be sucked into a movie screen and transported to a new locale.
Don’t need it. For once I wish WDW would get the BETTER version of something. We always seem to get screwed over on everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom