Is there a "typical or average" WDW visitor/family?

disneyfireman

Because sporting events and concerts are other high priced entertainments.
Agreed. Imho. WDW or DL is not only affordable. But I can’t go anywhere on vacation with maybe the exception. Of Vegas. Where I get my monies worth like I do at Disney. I consider Disney vacations to be perfect. No complaints.

bryanfze55

Sporting events have gotten outlandish. My family recently went to an STL Cardinals game at $45 per ticket. That’s $180 for a family of four plus $40 in “fees.” Another $20 to park. We’re already at $260 for 3 hours of fun. We don’t buy ballpark food or drink, but say we did for argument’s sake: $30 for two adult beers and two kids’ sodas, $50 for four orders of hot dog and fries. Brings us to $340. That is for three hours of entertainment. For $60 more, give or take, a family could spend 12 hours in a Disney Park. Say you spend $200 that day on food. The cost per hour is still so much lower at Disney than anything else.

MuteSuperstar

*Everything* is getting outlandish just to maintain the standard of living that a lot of us are used to. For me I'm beyond frustrated with the whole ball of wax and it's just dismaying (though not a surprise) to see Disney embracing a lot of the modern c-suite era corporate traits I loathe. It's not that we don't expect Disney to raise prices regularly, but this stuff with selling the MK twice, the endless planning only to still be greeted with teeming throngs at every turn, jumps in food prices with debatable quality, attractions that take an eternity to materialize, having to walk a mile for a smoke (kidding, sort of)....it just all adds up. Of course there are still plenty of wonderful things about it, I miss going to a degree and will certainly cave and go back eventually, but it gets harder to justify by the year when everything else under the freaking sun except a new TV is going up and up and up with no end in sight. And as I've said before I still marvel at how blithely most people seem to accept this endless gouging at every turn that we all are living with in everyday life, forget about on some silly vacation. But bubbles pop....and oh my is this one gonna be an earthshattering kaboom.

And of course for us single types who don't have the perk of dual incomes, it just gets harder. And the fact that the job Ive had for 22 years just got outsourced overseas....well there's the death blow. Or maybe not....maybe WDW (and an offsite hotel) will get a chunk of my severance if I have a weak moment. :) Probably not....the Smokies for like 80% less seems like a wiser and far less stressful play especially with the Death Star crowds looming on the horizon. A friend of mine who is quite well-off just dropped 12 grand on a cruise and I can't even fathom that, even if I made that much money. I know we all value things differently, but this stuff isn't that much fun, come on now. And about 3 days into it, his texts made it clear he agreed with me.

Just my two cents (while I still have it) from someone in the dwindling middle class who used to go basically every year (and sometimes twice) for 20 years and hasn't gone back in almost 5.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Unfortunately Americans are notorious for not taking vacations. I have managers here that have earned 6 weeks of vacation and are hard pressed to take 2. a lot of them sell their vacation back. we have a lousy ingrained sense of work=worth, so a guy who actually takes all his vacation is seen as a 'slacker"
Here is the thing, there some companies that you are better off not taking a vacation depending on position. I am saying that because there is a company I know that actually calls employees on emergency even if they are on vacation. when the company calls you on emergency, they expect you to end you vacation and go back to work in person. That means you better not be on a cruise or take a vacation that is far away from work.

The same company in question actually discourages people to use sick days also besides forcing them to take lots of overtime.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Oh, I thought they had something in common beyond extortionist pricing. Otherwise why would anyone compare the two.

I mean, I know when I’m deciding on family vacation, I don’t typically debate between living for a week at CitiField or going to Disney World, but I guess some people do. 🤷‍♂️

bryanfze55

*Everything* is getting outlandish just to maintain the standard of living that a lot of us are used to. For me I'm beyond frustrated with the whole ball of wax and it's just dismaying (though not a surprise) to see Disney embracing a lot of the modern c-suite era corporate traits I loathe. It's not that we don't expect Disney to raise prices regularly, but this stuff with selling the MK twice, the endless planning only to still be greeted with teeming throngs at every turn, jumps in food prices with debatable quality, attractions that take an eternity to materialize, having to walk a mile for a smoke (kidding, sort of)....it just all adds up. Of course there are still plenty of wonderful things about it, I miss going to a degree and will certainly cave and go back eventually, but it gets harder to justify by the year when everything else under the freaking sun except a new TV is going up and up and up with no end in sight. And as I've said before I still marvel at how blithely most people seem to accept this endless gouging at every turn that we all are living with in everyday life, forget about on some silly vacation. But bubbles pop....and oh my is this one gonna be an earthshattering kaboom.

And of course for us single types who don't have the perk of dual incomes, it just gets harder. And the fact that the job Ive had for 22 years just got outsourced overseas....well there's the death blow. Or maybe not....maybe WDW (and an offsite hotel) will get a chunk of my severance if I have a weak moment. :) Probably not....the Smokies for like 80% less seems like a wiser and far less stressful play especially with the Death Star crowds looming on the horizon. A friend of mine who is quite well-off just dropped 12 grand on a cruise and I can't even fathom that, even if I made that much money. I know we all value things differently, but this stuff isn't that much fun, come on now. And about 3 days into it, his texts made it clear he agreed with me.

Just my two cents (while I still have it) from someone in the dwindling middle class who used to go basically every year (and sometimes twice) for 20 years and hasn't gone back in almost 5.

Sorry to hear about your job displacement. I know that’s a tough thing. But I’m the sole earner supporting a family of four. Don’t quite make six figures. We go to Disney every year, spending between $3,000-$3,500. Worth every penny thus far. Never found the need to stay in extravagant lodging. I guess it’s all about choosing where you want to spend and deciding to make it a priority. We don’t go “all out” on our Disney vacation, and we certainly don’t live extravagantly in our day to day lives.

disneyfireman

Sorry to hear about your job displacement. I know that’s a tough thing. But I’m the sole earner supporting a family of four. Don’t quite make six figures. We go to Disney every year, spending between $3,000-$3,500. Worth every penny thus far. Never found the need to stay in extravagant lodging. I guess it’s all about choosing where you want to spend and deciding to make it a priority. We don’t go “all out” on our Disney vacation, and we certainly don’t live extravagantly in our day to day lives.
Yep. We almost always stay at a Value. And don’t buy much other than food. Your cost is close to ours. We are middle class 100%. Disney imho is very affordable. You just have to be smart about how you vacation there.

MuteSuperstar

Always been the same mindset for me. I totally get that many still find it worth every penny. Honestly I probably still would too since I know the place well enough to not spend foolishly. I was always the one whose friends gave me the "you're going there again" routine, so believe me all of my criticism comes from a place of love (for WDW the place if not TWDC). But for me, at the moment, it's just not as enticing as it used to be.

Chef Mickey

Disney doesn't release their demographic data. But you can glean a lot of it from other sources.

For example, the Bureau of Labor Statistics has data that shows how much the average American household spends on vacations each year, broken out by quintile. Here's that data from 2017, summarized:

View attachment 365073

It's pretty clear that even a day at Disney World for a family of four is going to be beyond the annual budget for the bottom 40% of households. And from Disney's own travel agent media, it's pretty clear they're targeting the top 20%. They're almost certainly targeting the top 10%, 5%, and 1% specifically too.

One interesting thing we got from our (the Unofficial Guide/TouringPlans) surveys is that around 33% of our users' trips involve just adults. That's a higher number than I expected.
Seems impossibly low across the board. It’s basically saying people go on road trips exclusively, stay at Motel 6, and eat sandwiches in the car.

It costs a family of 4 almost $1K for flight tickets and more than the top 40% fly. They also plan on doing stuff, eating, and sleeping at their destination. I put almost zero faith in government reporting.

Walt Disney1955

You should see our family. My kids don't look anything alike, and if you saw us together, you wouldn't know that they were our kids. But I get what you are saying.

I'll bet you that to the outside eye your family looks alike. No one thinks that their kids look like them as much as others, because people see your face more than you see your own. I got that when our son was born. Yeah I thought he probably looked like me, but to everyone out there the resemblance was uncanny.

Shouldigo12

I'll bet you that to the outside eye your family looks alike. No one thinks that their kids look like them as much as others, because people see your face more than you see your own. I got that when our son was born. Yeah I thought he probably looked like me, but to everyone out there the resemblance was uncanny.
I never thought me and my brother looked much alike until we did one of those face swapping filters. We didn't think it had worked at first because you could hardly tell the difference.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster

Sorry to hear about your job. been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

I think that kinda of goes back to the "value" proposition. A friend of mine is a pharmaceutical salesperson, she spends tons of time in her car, so for her a luxury car is actually a must. Now I'll never drop 55K on a car, lol ever but if I routinely spent 3-6 hours a day in my car, I could definitely understand why some one would want the comfort. everyone's perspective brings different values to the situation

I do admit I'm a luxury hotel person and I do accept the fact that Disney deluxe's are priced way higher because I'm paying for location. so if I want to dance to that particular song, I've got to pay their price did you know there is a growing segment of the cruise industry where the people live on the ship for about 9 months out of the year? I met one of these ladies.

mdcpr

Slightly off-topic, but would love to know how many times in their lifetime an ‘average’ family visits WDW. I’m taking the family for the first time this year, yet I don’t foresee wanting to go on a yearly basis.

Naplesgolfer

Slightly off-topic, but would love to know how many times in their lifetime an ‘average’ family visits WDW. I’m taking the family for the first time this year, yet I don’t foresee wanting to go on a yearly basis.
Once you go you'll be hooked. I predict twice a year for you!

eliza61nyc

Original Poster

I do think it's like many other vacation destinations where people fall in love with it. Around my neck of the woods, people go to the Jersey shore every year. The jersey shore is easily as expensive, when 1 week rentals in high summer are generally 3,000 bucks a week.
Many folks like me, end up buying into dvc. it's gotten crazy expensive though and one has to really do the math to see if it works for them.

Also for many, the way you vacation "morphs". We use to go for 9 days, now that the kids are older and everyone is busy, some times we'll go for just a very long weekend.

disneyfireman

We go every other year. Either WDW. Or my favorite. DLR

Last edited:

jaklgreen

My brother, sister and I have the same face structure and you can definitely tell that we are siblings. My girls are complete opposites. One is petite with brown hair, brown eyes, and round face. The other is taller, blond, big blue eyes, and a longer face. My hubby is a tall, skinny, ginger and I am light brown hair, hazel eyes, and olive skin. None of us look anything alike. If you stretch it a bit, my oldest might look like she can be mine. LOL When my kids were young, people would ask me if they had the same father because they are so opposite. Yes they do.

jaklgreen

We started going before we had kids and then started taking them when they were 1 and 2 years old. We have gone every year since. For the last 8 years, I have added a solo trip in the fall. Some years daddy is unable to go, but us girls do not miss a year.

mdcpr

I do think it's like many other vacation destinations where people fall in love with it. Around my neck of the woods, people go to the Jersey shore every year. The jersey shore is easily as expensive, when 1 week rentals in high summer are generally 3,000 bucks a week.
Many folks like me, end up buying into dvc. it's gotten crazy expensive though and one has to really do the math to see if it works for them.

Also for many, the way you vacation "morphs". We use to go for 9 days, now that the kids are older and everyone is busy, some times we'll go for just a very long weekend.
We've done the Jersey Shore--once was enough. :) But I hear you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom