News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Lensman

Im not sure 20 feet would have made a difference.
Yeah, I agree, and if they had done so, wouldn't they have likely had to lower the loading zone inside the old Energy Pavillion down 20 feet as well, given that loading zone for most coasters is at their lowest point? And I suspect that excavating 20 feet down in an existing structure risks undermining the existing supports for the building and so we would have ended up losing the entire old structure, though some would say that with it being totally gutted it's already practically lost.

And so the cost could be something like:$50 million (say, 15% more than currently) plus the loss of the old Energy building, all to have an 80 foot eyesore instead of a 100 foot eyesore.

It might be cheaper to build a 20 foot berm and additional artificial rock face to hide the building as a kopje or butte - though there's not much room between the old energy building and the gravity building for a berm. I guess you could have the berm start at the front of old Energy pavillion and slope up to the gravity building. But I guess you'd still have something that stood out and was thematically incongruous. People would think it was the Land pavilion.

Maybe instead of planting 80 foot palm trees, they could just put up stickers of 100 foot palm trees on the building? Lol

Magic Feather

So is there any definitive confirmation about what happened to all the dinos?
I recall hearing a rumor the WDW railroad might get its own primeval world diorama. One can certainly dream
Disneyland's Diorama just came out of refurb, maybe they were swapping parts with ones from UOE's?
The Dinos That were serviceable and well/cautiously removed were sent to DL as spares. One or two also wound up at the Archives if I recall.

DreamfinderGuy

Someone told me that the brontos were saved and that they saw pics, but they were conveniently deleted because they didn’t want backstage photos on their device. Can’t tell if it’s BS or not but take it as you will

BubbaisSleep

The view of the show building doesn’t bother me much at all. But has anyone seen the length Tokyo Disney Sea is willing to go to stay in theme? They are seriously going all out to hide their Soarin’ show building and I totally understand the fact this is the standard fans have expected out of Disney since the beginning. I don’t want to expect less from Disney. To be fair their Soarin’ showbuilding is very much in public eye but Tokyo reminds me of why I fell in love with Disney.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The view of the show building doesn’t bother me much at all. But has anyone seen the length Tokyo Disney Sea is willing to go to stay in theme? They are seriously going all out to hide their Soarin’ show building and I totally understand the fact this is the standard fans have expected out of Disney since the beginning. I don’t want to expect less from Disney. To be fair their Soarin’ showbuilding is very much in public eye but Tokyo reminds me of why I fell in love with Disney.

While I somewhat agree, the Soarin' (edit: it's Soaring there, oops) building is also in-between both Tokyo parks and is still much shorter than this one. This GOTG building is just so large, I don't know how you theme it to not stick out compared to everything around it. I might disagree with the building's size, but I agree that painting it bright blue was the best choice in this situation.

kthomas105

Im not sure 20 feet would have made a difference.
I don’t know track layout specifics and the space needed for show scenes (if there are any on the track portion in the gravity building) but if sinking the whole structure 20’ down wouldn’t make a huge impact sinking sections of the track might have helped reduce the overall height of the building. Imagine dropping the whole building down 20’ and then having a loop or something dug even deeper similar to how many roller coasters travel under walkways or paths through a concrete tunnel. If something like that reduces the height by 40’ overall then only 90’ of the total 130’ height would still be exposed. A hill with tall southern pines or other tall growing trees could have gone a long way to hiding the gravity building. Southern pines typically grow 50-80’ tall.

Old Mouseketeer

I don’t know track layout specifics and the space needed for show scenes (if there are any on the track portion in the gravity building) but if sinking the whole structure 20’ down wouldn’t make a huge impact sinking sections of the track might have helped reduce the overall height of the building. Imagine dropping the whole building down 20’ and then having a loop or something dug even deeper similar to how many roller coasters travel under walkways or paths through a concrete tunnel. If something like that reduces the height by 40’ overall then only 90’ of the total 130’ height would still be exposed. A hill with tall southern pines or other tall growing trees could have gone a long way to hiding the gravity building. Southern pines typically grow 50-80’ tall.

That's a much more expensive proposition in FL than CA. With the high water table, they typically don't dig below ground level, except for specific purposes. That's why much of Magic Kingdom, including Main St. and Fantasyland is actually the second story with their full basements being the real ground floor. Some examples of actual excavation include the tunnel under the hub linking Main St. and Fantasyland, the Epcot tunnel from next to the back of Living Seas to Innoventions, and the elevator pits and turntable for the Resistance Shuttle at Rise of the Resistance at DHL. This is why you get the high profile of Soarin' and the elevated theater entrance at American Adventure.

Last edited:

BrianLo

In park is fantastic. Out of park (Monorail) is actually worse for views of Back of House. I think FantaSEA Springs will really help with the real troublesome spots.

Hong Kong is probably just about the only park that nails it in and out (sans Toy Story Playland). The power of a really good berm.

kthomas105

That's a much more expensive proposition in FL than CA. With the high water table, they typically don't dig below ground level, except for specific purposes. That's why much of Magic Kingdom, including Main St. and Fantasyland is actually the second story with their full basements being the real ground floor. Some examples of actual excavation include the tunnel under the hub linking Main St. and Fantasyland, the Epcot tunnel from next to the back of Living Seas to Innoventions, and the elevator pits and turntable for the Resistance Shuttle at Rise of the Resistance at DHL. This is why you get the high profile of Soarin' and the elevated theater entrance at American Adventure.

Yes I know FL has a high water table. Yes I know its more expensive to build below grade when that grade is at or below the water table as the walls must be sealed and extra precautions taken to handle water intrusion. I also know this is a highly expensive attraction and may be the most expensive attraction built by WDI. I'm just saying steps could have been taken to care for the sight-lines of what was one of the most daring theme parks ever built. Disney Sea has taken extra steps to ensure sight-lines are cared for, they are getting a fully themed Soarin show building that puts DCA and espesically Epcot's Soarin to shame. Over the years Disney has built a standard of quality and IMHO they missed the mark with the gravity building. Sorry to beat a horse that has died a thousand times over. I'll stop complaining now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom