News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not sure of the Gondola cost, but just googling how much it costs for a car wrap, I found this. I would assume it would be similar for a Gondola maybe?

View attachment 366017

The thing is.. those are custom jobs. The Disney Gondolas would be the type of job where you pre-cut printed panels that are pre-made for this specific simple panel application. The bow in the cabin is small enough they may even be able to get away with pre-fit panels that don't need overlap and trimming. A car wrap is a custom job done from bulk material where everything needs to be shrink fitted, much more advanced panels, wraps around edges, under pieces, trimming, etc.

They would knock these types of jobs out super quick. Clean, wet, apply vinyl, position, squeege... move onto the new panel. These aren't complex vinyl jobs. Each gondola is probably a 30min job tops.. depending on how many separated pieces are needed. So far the images I saw looked like just a partial body panel and maybe one window panel on each of the long sides.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Will loading be a free-for-all or will CMs be managing the count?

Free for all...

ImperfectPixie

The sign/wrap isn't the issue... it's the labor involved in peeling the old wrap off, getting all the old adhesive off, prepping the surface for the new wrap, then applying the new wrap.

Sounds like it might be just as cheap to buy a new gondola. Anyone have a gondola cost figure they can share?
If you look at some of my other posts, yes, the labor is the most intensive. There are different adhesives for temporary vs. long-term use, but even still, even if the wraps are farmed out, a large contract like this would wind up with individual wraps costing less than if they only had 3 that needed to be wrapped, so replacing the gondolas would be ridiculous.
Just a guess but I would assume the character wraps are a more permanent style of wrap with stronger adhesive designed to stay on for a long time. If they add more wraps that are in fact short term, it's probably safe to assume they will be much easier to remove with a weaker adhesive.
That would make the most sense, but then again, this is Disney, and we've seen some pretty nonsensical things from them.
The thing is.. those are custom jobs. The Disney Gondolas would be the type of job where you pre-cut printed panels that are pre-made for this specific simple panel application. The bow in the cabin is small enough they may even be able to get away with pre-fit panels that don't need overlap and trimming. A car wrap is a custom job done from bulk material where everything needs to be shrink fitted, much more advanced panels, wraps around edges, under pieces, trimming, etc.

They would knock these types of jobs out super quick. Clean, wet, apply vinyl, position, squeege... move onto the new panel. These aren't complex vinyl jobs. Each gondola is probably a 30min job tops.. depending on how many separated pieces are needed. So far the images I saw looked like just a partial body panel and maybe one window panel on each of the long sides.
Keep in mind though that there are still areas that need to be trimmed and wrapped around or the decals will start to peel/crack around the edges and their life-span will be much less (not to mention that it wouldn't look very professional). From what I've seen, they're likely one big print that's laid on wet, then trimmed and wrapped just barely around edges as needed (you don't need to wrap around much to make a body seam look nice). They'll probably need to use heat to get the vinyl to conform to the vents along the bottom, at the very least, and that can suck up some time. HOWEVER...the more often you do the same application, the faster you get. So while the first gondola may take let's say 1-2 hours, the last one will take somewhat less than that.

I'm also wondering if Disney has taken into account how likely people are to try to peel the graphics...if there are any edges accessible to people, they WILL get picked at.

Phil12

No more so than your family car in an electrical storm.
Precisely! The average hardtop automobile is an excellent Faraday cage and will protect all occupants from lightning strikes. Lightning ranges in frequency from 3 kHz to 30 kHz and needs a path to ground. Both automobile bodies and gondolas provide protection from the low frequency energy while supplying an excellent path to ground to dissipate the energy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you look at some of my other posts, yes, the labor is the most intensive. There are different adhesives for temporary vs. long-term use, but even still, even if the wraps are farmed out, a large contract like this would wind up with individual wraps costing less than if they only had 3 that needed to be wrapped, so replacing the gondolas would be ridiculous.

That would make the most sense, but then again, this is Disney, and we've seen some pretty nonsensical things from them.

Keep in mind though that there are still areas that need to be trimmed and wrapped around or the decals will start to peel/crack around the edges and their life-span will be much less (not to mention that it wouldn't look very professional). From what I've seen, they're likely one big print that's laid on wet, then trimmed and wrapped just barely around edges as needed (you don't need to wrap around much to make a body seam look nice). They'll probably need to use heat to get the vinyl to conform to the vents along the bottom, at the very least, and that can suck up some time. HOWEVER...the more often you do the same application, the faster you get. So while the first gondola may take let's say 1-2 hours, the last one will take somewhat less than that.

I'm also wondering if Disney has taken into account how likely people are to try to peel the graphics...if there are any edges accessible to people, they WILL get picked at.

But the cabins are already body color and it's just a graphics overlay... not a paint replacement. The vents at bottom don't need covering. You have the large side panel... which is the singular plexi panel. The window panels which are fixed size and no edge. The lower panel on the front back could even be an overlay... if they don't replace the full bottom.

ImperfectPixie

But the cabins are already body color and it's just a graphics overlay... not a paint replacement. The vents at bottom don't need covering. You have the large side panel... which is the singular plexi panel. The window panels which are fixed size and no edge. The lower panel on the front back could even be an overlay... if they don't replace the full bottom.
Yeah, if they're not covering the entire side, it becomes a much easier animal.

bUU

The 22 wraps are, for all anyone knows, POC. No doubt that Disney will use gondola wraps just like they have in the past used monorail and bus wraps, to promote specific upcoming or recently released films.

Goofyernmost

I think you're right, @csmat99 - it just doesn't make sense to only have decals on 22 out of 300 gondolas...that would be an easy wording error to make.
22 different scenes, not just 22 out of 300 with the decals. The most logical reason I have heard so far, is that they left some plain so they could add future scenes (i.e. new characters) without having to tear off the old ones. The only problem with that thought is that it is way, way to logical to have been thought of by Disney these days. But, if they did... kudos!

surfsupdon

(PS: will the Riviera completion see the road at CBR become a loop again? The current bus u-turn and 4 terminuses at the dead ends is inefficient and looks a pain for the drivers to traverse).

I think the road will reconnect. The current CBR bus route is a darn mess.

I also think CBR and Riviera could be sharing busses on most routes with the connected route.

Riviera is a 300 room location. Caribbean lost 576 rooms to make way for this DVC. If Caribbean were able to make it work before with its original 2112 rooms, the busses can certainly hold the addition of Riviera rooms with the remainder of Caribbean.

Think the routes will be separate or connected?

ImperfectPixie

22 different scenes, not just 22 out of 300 with the decals. The most logical reason I have heard so far, is that they left some plain so they could add future scenes (i.e. new characters) without having to tear off the old ones. The only problem with that thought is that it is way, way to logical to have been thought of by Disney these days. But, if they did... kudos!
That's what I think, too. There's no way they'd only put graphics on 22 gondolas, lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom