Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

jt04

Working out fantastic? You just don't get it.

You troll for a reaction. I gave you one. Now stop.

I'm saving the seasonal E Ticket openings over the next couple years for after hour tickets. And then other established attractions with a silver pass. Strategy.

Tom Morrow

I'm not surprised, but they really dropped the ball on this one. Imagine if they could announce that SWGE and MMRW are opening at the same time. They also very much would have benefited from the additional draw and capacity MMRW would have provided.

jt04

I'm not surprised, but they really dropped the ball on this one. Imagine if they could announce that SWGE and MMRW are opening at the same time. They also very much would have benefited from the additional draw and capacity MMRW would have provided.

IMO the last thing they need is another reason for people to show up early on. This is much bigger than TWWoHP evidently.

Rteetz

Is the Orlando area that starved for quality construction workers that they couldn't hire additional workers for SWGE without sacrificing MMRR? Or do they just not want to spend more to hire more?
Finding enough workers is certainly an issue. WDW isn't the only place building right now. Universal has a ton going on, Margaritaville, road construction, and other businesses in the area.

Kman101

While I agree Disneyland has and will continue to have the best mix of attractions, SW:GE is a much better fit in DHS and does not belong in a castle park, especially Walt’s original castle park. Just my opinion though.

Of course. I don't think it fits in DCA either, for what it's worth. It's probably better thematically in Disneyland, as much as people resist it. We can't speak for Walt anymore. Maybe he would have loved it?

Kman101

Finding enough workers is certainly an issue. WDW isn't the only place building right now. Universal has a ton going on, Margaritaville, road construction, and other businesses in the area.

Yes, there's a massive amount of work going on in and around Orlando, etc. I'm not surprised at all there's a shortage, so to speak. Lots of hotels, lots of theme park lands, lots of attractions, etc. Sea World just finished Sesame Street not that long ago. Tigris at Busch Gardens in Tampa just opened. Lots of stuff has been going on and will continue to go on. I feel like some folks think these things just magically go up overnight ...

Magic Feather

So is the following accurate?

1. They barely were able to get Toy Story Land open on time in June 2018
  2. They are opening Smuggler's Run slightly ahead of schedule.
  3. They are missing their target opening date for Rise of the Resistance
  4. They are substantially missing their target opening for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
This does not inspire much confidence in me.
It could be argued that none of these are true. However, current public info dictates that 2 and 4 are true.
Should DHS consider some sort of reservation system or capacity-throttling mechanism? There doesn't seem to be enough rides or restaurants in the park to handle extra-large crowds.

A back-of-envelope calculation puts the non-GE park capacity at something like 43K (15,000 people in line, 35% of those in the park are in line). I'm trying to figure out how they'd put, say, 20K more in there.
There is a plan to grow capacity for both parks in a dramatic manner. A lot of preparation has been going on back of house. (Read as extended hours, (a lot) more than Pandora, less than Star Tours, not entirely public)
I'm convinced WDW is waiting to see what happens at DLR before deciding on a course of action.
Depends on what part of the plan. Some aspects are well into development, as they should. Others...
So far the two coasts seem to have different operational ideas regarding what they’ll do.
From what I can tell, the big difference is how each coast is dealing with hotels, largely due to WDW’s much larger scope. Other than that, there seem to be quite a few parallels, with some of WDW’s plan likely to hange over the Summer.

Kman101

Seems like the only thing Disney is good at getting done on time, if not early are price increases.

And DVC towers and restaurants. They're just now clearing land, etc. for the Club 33 in Animal Kingdom yet plan to have it ready by the end of this year. THIS year. I get they're different than attractions, obviously far more is involved, lol, but we all know where their priorities are ...

DisneyNorthFan

I'm very disappointed this won't be ready ahead of SW:GE. I'm excited for SW:GE, but not without other significant capacity opening up to make crowds at least somewhat manageable. My fear is we now have the worst case scenario - tons of crowds and only 1 attraction open. This sounds like a recipe for a poor guest experience, no matter how great SE:GE turns out to be.

TP2000

Where is this supposed to go in ToonTown? The queue?

The ride warehouse building goes backstage, in an area that is currently occupied by a big warehouse and rehearsal halls used by the parade/entertainment groups. They are building a new parade building nearby on land currently used for an empty warehouse. They are getting really good at moving support facilities off property at Disneyland. They now even make the horses for the Main Street Streetcars commute in from a ranch 15 miles away, so they could build Star Wars Land.

From the Disneyland forum here, and with thanks to @truecoat for doing this, here is the DHS footprint of the building overlayed on the existing warehouse just north of Toontown that is to be torn down for Runaway Railway. There is plenty of room here for the Toontown version, although Toontown itself will be reworked for the entrance to the ride.

mickeys-jpg.366063

Does this mean park execs are in panic mode to get RotR completed, or are they playing 3D chess with crowd control?

As a longtime observer, I am convinced most park execs on both coasts are incapable of playing 3D chess. Checkers they can handle, but chess is too hard, and 3D chess they just don't have the mental capacity for.

They can only really plan about 90 days out, and 30 days is their comfort zone. They are mostly reactionary when given information by other people, in this instance a WDI organization who simply had to admit they can't get Runaway Railway open before this August.

While you may need to move some personnel around to help Star Wars Land, which is the more important project, I am suspicious of the new narrative that everything is fine with Runaway Railway they just need more bodies working in Star Wars Land for now.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the wireless/trackless ride systems that WDI went headfirst on for both Runaway Railway and the Star Wars Resistance ride are the real culprits behind all the delays and drama. The wireless/trackless ride system just isn't ready for prime time, and now they are forced to open Star Wars Land on both coasts with only the Millenium Falcon ride operating, and open Star Wars Land in DHS eight months before Runaway Railway is ready.

It's a recipe for crowd control and PR disaster on both coasts. And even mediocre checkers players like they have in TDA and TDO wouldn't do that on purpose. In short, they are totally hosed on both coasts this year. ;)

Last edited:

Bleed0range

It’s a good thing I’m not going back to WDW until next year. As much as I wanted to see SWGE, I am not going to deal with the crowds and I want to be able to go the same time as MMRR. So I guess it’s next May for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom