Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

lazyboy97o

LEED certification didn't exist when Communicore was built. I know that much. I also know Disney wants to be greener. That is why they are building giant solar farms. For solar to be most efficient you need efficient buildings.

All factual.
Thank you for once again demonstrating you’re complete lack of knowledge regarding building design and construction. LEED has largely fallen out of favor because it does not own the concept of sustainability and being “green.” If it was being employed natural daylighting and reusing a building would both be opportunities for points. “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” is a hierarchy.

jt04

Really?

It smells like a sewer.

I don't make things up to make WDW look bad ;) (got it, @jt04 ? -- when were you even last in Innoventions, JT, back in the 2000s?)

I experienced Communicore when it was new. Same for Innoventions. The first iteration was done well but was somewhat weak on repeatability.

Innoventions was a train wreck IMO.

Looking back nostalgicly at Communicore doesn't mean it would be relatable in 2020. All that info is on your smart phone with video.

The buildings are restrictive not only to crowd flow but also the creative process.

So crucial that Disney parks aren't museums.

rreading

It doesn’t need to. IMHO.

My experience of the buildings, however, was that they basically sealed in their attractions; that even something (moderately) compelling like Sum of all Thrills was 1) lessened by its uninspiring surrounding and 2) not clearly apparent unless you wandered the halls and noticed that it was something worth doing. I distinctly remember walking by many nondescript activities - that we might have considered doing at our local museum - as we tried to get to our intended attractions.

I do think that that space could have been extensively refreshed with 1) more (any?) ambient light from windows/skylights and 2) better access to get to what you were interested in seeing/doing. I just looked at the satellite map and there was a ton of space available in the buildings but even if they were to refresh the space, I doubt that they would know what to put in there since they've had a hard time keeping anything compelling in there.

So here's hoping that what they replace it with will be beautiful, if not purposeful

trainplane3

Just like the buildings were originally designed then....
It's like taking bright and airy buildings, sticking giant stickers over the windows, and make them dark and edgy was a bad idea. Even as a little kid, Innoventions felt weird to run around in. The layout was odd but it constantly felt like I was going on a real expedition...because I was lost the whole time.

Missing20K

Thank you for once again demonstrating you’re complete lack of knowledge regarding building design and construction. LEED has largely fallen out of favor because it does not own the concept of sustainability and being “green.” If it was being employed natural daylighting and reusing a building would both be opportunities for points. “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” is a hierarchy.
The cost of certification is also high. Obviously not too high for Disney, but you can design to LEED requirements, spec all the same materials, get all the same energy efficiency, and simply not pay the USGBC for the plaque. LEED is as much a marketing tool as it is anything else these days.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's like taking bright and airy buildings, sticking giant stickers over the windows, and make them dark and edgy was a bad idea. Even as a little kid, Innoventions felt weird to run around in. The layout was odd but it constantly felt like I was going on a real expedition...because I was lost the whole time.
Such was the hip mid 1990s.

DreamfinderGuy

The hallway was better when the carpet looked like this

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom