Pre-Trip A Bestie trip to POFQ~ June 2019

[a bit of wordy background. If you want to just get to the nuts & bolts of this Pre-trip report, skip ahead to the bold]

Sometimes the student becomes the master.

I guess it is presumptuous of me to call myself a master, but lemme explain. Back in March of 2001, my best friend of a couple years (we'd known each other in high school but didn't really like each other; then we worked at the same place in college and became best friends), Penny and I decided we should go to Disney World. I was 22 and had never been, and she had been I believe at least 6 or so times throughout her childhood, possibly more.

So she and I, and another of her friends made the trip. We stayed off property at a (very) cheap hotel (think poor college student), had to use the hotel's shuttle bus to get to/from the parks (pre-uber/lyft days, and we weren't old enough to rent a car).

As I always knew I would, should I ever get the chance to visit, I fell in LOVE with Walt Disney World. And so, as I do when I'm into something, I became obsessed. Learned everything I could about the parks.

A year and a half later, we decided to go again, same trio, plus Penny's mom and grandmother. Another blast had by all, but this time again, also off property, but with a rental.

In 2004, my sister and I took my grandmother. Because she used a wheelchair, we stayed on property. The following year, POP Century had opened, so my cousin and I took a trip. I ended up going at least every 18 months or so for many years, each time gaining more and more knowledge. I became the so-called Disney expert in my family and friends circle, and helped people plan trips. So Penny like to tease that the student had become the master.

The last trip Penny and I made to Disney together was in 2006 (unless you count a one-day trip to Epcot that was a cruise excursion). I have met up with her for a day here or there on Disney property but we haven't truly had a Disney trip together for years.

Fast forward to about 7 months ago, when I decided to book a trip for my younger brother and myself. I was looking forward to our trip, but then things didn't work out and he can't make the trip. I hated to cancel, but with DH recently job-hunting, I didn't know who would be going with me. I wouldn't have minded going solo, but it would help to have someone along to help split the cost (see DH recently job-hunting). Enter Penny! YAY! (She and her wife have recently become DVC members) So:

Where: Port Orleans French Quarter (this is kinda perfect too, because it's a place that DH really doesn't have a desire to try, whereas I've always wanted to)
When: June 15-22, 2019 This will be my only summer visit to date, and I know to expect rain and ungodly heat, so I've purchased 5 day PH plus water park. I've never been to either of the water parks, so that will be a new experience. Other than that, we'll be doing lots of breaks, going back to the resort, and swimming during the heat of the day.
Who: Me (Amber), and Penny--both age 40 at time of travel! We WILL be celebrating this!

We are currently at 129 days out. Meal reservations have been made, and I'll go into those in another post.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Re: parking.
From frequently asked questions.

Q.
Will DVC Members be charged for parking at a Resort hotel?
A.
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying in a Disney Vacation Club Deluxe Villa at Walt Disney World Resort, Disney's Vero Beach Resort or Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, regardless of whether they use Vacation Points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using Reservation Points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

A Member who chooses not to use Reservation Points for their stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel in an accommodation other than a DVC Deluxe Villa will be charged for standard overnight self-parking.

Since you are not using points or staying in a villa, it seems you will be charged. Perhaps have your friend, dvc card in hand, ask when you check in.
Thanks for posting this! I'm sure she'll ask, but at least I know what to probably expect, and honestly it's fine. I will probably just decline mousekeeping then, to use toward the parking cost.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Mostly credited to DH (@Mrhappyplace ) we were able to get the FP we wanted yesterday! Penny was without wifi, and I start work at 7am, no cell phones, so I left him lots of written instructions, and he nailed them! I tweaked a bit here and there, but priorities were Alien Swirling Saucers and Slinky Dog Dash, as I have not seen Toy Story Land as of yet.

So here is our updated itinerary (don't mind the notes, it's from a shared google doc)

Saturday, June 15th- Arrival/ Resort/ Disney Springs

• pick Penny up at airport 11:30
  • resort/ swim/ explore
  • Disney Springs
    • Raglan Road 6:45pm

Sunday, June 16th- MK/ AK

• MK opening (rope drop PP? Ride PoC, HM)
  • Dole whips? Hei Hei cupcake?
  • Cali Grill brunch 12:15pm
  • Resort break
  • AK in afternoon/ evening (open till 9)
    • 3:35 Kali
    • 5:20 Flights
    • 7:00 Primeval
  • Everest (single rider), Safari?
  • Festival of the Lion King!!

Monday, June 17th- HS (9-9)

• Rope drop TSM?
  • Cupcakes at Trolley Car/ Starbucks
    • 9:30 Alien
  • Hollywood Brown Derby Lounge lunch
    • 5:30 ToT
    • 6:35 RnRC
  • Fantasmic? Or enjoy an emptier park, or leave before buses are full?

Tuesday, June 18th- MK (9-10)

• Rope drop Buzz? Peoplemover? Castle pics/ just enjoy Main Street?
    • 9:15 Space
  • Liberty Tree Tavern lunch 1:10pm
    • 2:50 BTMRR
  • Resort break/ pool hop
  • Be Our Guest dinner 7:30pm
    • 9:05 7DMT
  • Splash to close out the night?

Wednesday, June 19th- Typhoon Lagoon/ resort day

• Kona or Olivia’s breakfast???
  • Typhoon Lagoon opens at 10:00 (I think we should be there for opening)
  • Relax at resort? Disney Springs? Both?
  • The Wave dinner & fireworks view 7:15pm

Thursday, June 20th- Epcot (am EMH 8-9)

• Rope drop Soarin’? LWTL
    • 9:40am Spaceship Earth
    • 10:45am Imagination
  • Test Track (single rider if needed)
  • Resort break when ready
    • 7:35 Frozen Ever After
  • Spice Road Table/ Illuminations view 8:25

Friday, June 21st- Last Day (we don’t have to use the other 2 FP, or spend much time at HS this morning if you don’t want, but I went ahead and got all 3 FP so that when they run out, we can head to another park--maybe MK-- and still have a chance of picking up more FPs)

• Kona or Olivia’s breakfast???
    • 10:00 Frozen Sing-a-long
    • 11:45am Slinky Dog
    • 12:45 Muppets 3D
  • Citricos dinner 7:35pm

59 DAYS!!!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Plans look more than great!!

Thanks!

Well, not much more time now, only 13 days! I've packed up to the point that I can...being that I still need shorts and such right up until I go, so I'm waiting until the last moment to get some washed and packed. It also doesn't help that I have a 3-night work retreat at a cabin in Blue Ridge this weekend, so some items I need for that, and then they need to be washed and packed for the following weekend. Good thing laundry is like the one chore I don't mind.

I've got a much shorter to-do list than when I first started, though it does still involve getting my car's oil changed, and washing/waxing the car (I normally don't worry about this much but my thinking is that having a coat of wax on the car might prevent some love bug stickage). Got my list of podcasts I need yet to download. A few snacks to pick up, though hubby has picked up my case of water and the wine bestie wants me to bring. Last minute things: chargers, etc.

It's so close!! I am so excited--I don't get the summers off since I teach at a child care, but some summers are lighter than others. Last summer I only had 6 children. This summer, FOURTEEN. And a less-than-helpful assistant, so I've been stressed. Can't wait to be in my happy place. Feel bad that hubby isn't going, though, but I will have fun with bestie.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Another update-- we've decided to add the Villains After Hours event for Thursday, June 20th! We weren't sure if it would work because we have a Spice Road Table ADR at 8:25 for Illuminations viewing. I tried to move it earlier, just so that we can be sure to have the bill settled before Illuminations, and then we can bounce right after, out the International Gateway, onto a bus to MK at Beach Club but no earlier times that work were available. I might keep trying, or really, we might be able to just show up earlier and see if they can seat us. Either way, we're eager to try out the Villains event for late night Disney! Especially at the DVC rate thanks to Penny.

annienevells

Another update-- we've decided to add the Villains After Hours event for Thursday, June 20th! We weren't sure if it would work because we have a Spice Road Table ADR at 8:25 for Illuminations viewing. I tried to move it earlier, just so that we can be sure to have the bill settled before Illuminations, and then we can bounce right after, out the International Gateway, onto a bus to MK at Beach Club but no earlier times that work were available. I might keep trying, or really, we might be able to just show up earlier and see if they can seat us. Either way, we're eager to try out the Villains event for late night Disney! Especially at the DVC rate thanks to Penny.
oh YAY! I hope we cross paths! I'll be doing the Villains event solo, so I will keep my eyes peeled for y'all :)

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
oh YAY! I hope we cross paths! I'll be doing the Villains event solo, so I will keep my eyes peeled for y'all :)

Ahhh!! Yes, please do, as will I!! I saw in your thread that you're going to a Villains event but for some reason I thought it was going to be later than the one I'm going to. YAY!!! That would be so awesome if we crossed paths :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom