2020 Hotel Choice

SpiteriFam

Original Poster
Hi,

With the free dining for 2020 coming out shortly we will most likely book a holiday for August 2020. Our kids will want to got to AKL again but I’d like some advice on other options.

Though we loved AKL we found that if we were feeling lazy it was hassle to go out to a non AKL restaurant for a meal. As such the Beach Club resort appeals. We probably wouldn’t want to go above that from a price POV so it rules out other deluxe resorts.

BC is about a £1k more than AKL so tbf i’d probably want the resort to offer a significant benefit over AKL? I assume the location and pool is a significant step up?

The other option we might consider is to go in the other direction and move down to a moderate such as POFQ. I’ve heard a lot of good about this but wonder how it measures? It’s a lot cheaper than AKL which doesn’t hurt. I would necessarily rule out considering other moderates provided there were no renovations going on.

One important piece of information is that coming from the UK we’d be there for 2 weeks. Having previously done a full on 2 week trip our next one would probably have more resort time so I want to get it right.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Club Cooloholic

Hi,

With the free dining for 2020 coming out shortly we will most likely book a holiday for August 2020. Our kids will want to got to AKL again but I’d like some advice on other options.

Though we loved AKL we found that if we were feeling lazy it was hassle to go out to a non AKL restaurant for a meal. As such the Beach Club resort appeals. We probably wouldn’t want to go above that from a price POV so it rules out other deluxe resorts.

BC is about a £1k more than AKL so tbf i’d probably want the resort to offer a significant benefit over AKL? I assume the location and pool is a significant step up?

The other option we might consider is to go in the other direction and move down to a moderate such as POFQ. I’ve heard a lot of good about this but wonder how it measures? It’s a lot cheaper than AKL which doesn’t hurt. I would necessarily rule out considering other moderates provided there were no renovations going on.

One important piece of information is that coming from the UK we’d be there for 2 weeks. Having previously done a full on 2 week trip our next one would probably have more resort time so I want to get it right.

Well if you booled the Caribbean beach you would have access to the Skyliner. I have no idea how easy that will be to take when actually running. POFQ is nice, but understand there is no onsite table service restaurant and the trip to disney springs on the boat can take awhile with waiting etc. If having options but weighing price consider Saratoga Springs. Easy access to Disney Springs and all the dining and some nice looking pools, though I never stayed there.

SpiteriFam

Original Poster
Well if you booled the Caribbean beach you would have access to the Skyliner. I have no idea how easy that will be to take when actually running. POFQ is nice, but understand there is no onsite table service restaurant and the trip to disney springs on the boat can take awhile with waiting etc. If having options but weighing price consider Saratoga Springs. Easy access to Disney Springs and all the dining and some nice looking pools, though I never stayed there.

Thanks for pointing out the lack of restaurant at POFQ. It obviously hadn’t twigged with me that the restaurants are at Riverside.

For some reason when we booked before it seemed that SS could not be booked as early as other resorts. I’m keen to take advantage of free dining so need to be able to book prior to July (I think)

slappy magoo

For some reason when we booked before it seemed that SS could not be booked as early as other resorts.

That might be because Saratoga is a DVC resort, unlike many of the other resorts with a DVC section, Saratoga and Old Key West are considered to be DVC resorts entirely.

This is not to say you can't book a room there, and of all the Deluxe and Villa resorts, Saratoga is usually the easiest to book. It tends to be every DVC member's resort of last resort. But they might not open up as early as other resorts because they've got to give DVC members first crack at the rooms which they can't get until 11 months before their check in date at the earliest.

nickys

Premium Member
That might be because Saratoga is a DVC resort, unlike many of the other resorts with a DVC section, Saratoga and Old Key West are considered to be DVC resorts entirely.

This is not to say you can't book a room there, and of all the Deluxe and Villa resorts, Saratoga is usually the easiest to book. It tends to be every DVC member's resort of last resort. But they might not open up as early as other resorts because they've got to give DVC members first crack at the rooms which they can't get until 11 months before their check in date at the earliest

Not quite true. Disney’s CRO availability won’t affect DVC availability. But it is still the case that even CRO can’t book before 11 months, they are still subject to the same conditions as other members.

DisneyOutsider

POFQ is nice and it has an awesome bar with live music most nights... Sort of a more grown-up vibe for the moderate resorts and feels less busy and crowded than the other options.

However, it is a HUGE step down in terms of dining options. AKL as a whole (including Kidani) is a top contender for best food at a Disney resort. The in-room furnishings are also a cut above POFQ.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
POFQ is nice and it has an awesome bar with live music most nights... Sort of a more grown-up vibe for the moderate resorts and feels less busy and crowded than the other options.

However, it is a HUGE step down in terms of dining options.

It depends on how you view it. 10 minute walk to Boatwrights, 15 Minute boat ride to DS. Both options which are easily accessible and rather convenient (much more so than a bus). If you look at it that way - there's enough to keep you busy.

DisneyOutsider

It depends on how you view it. 10 minute walk to Boatwrights, 15 Minute boat ride to DS. Both options which are easily accessible and rather convenient (much more so than a bus). If you look at it that way - there's enough to keep you busy.

Ehh, that's a bit generous on the boat ride. Taking the boat to Disney Springs from POFQ is no quicker than taking the bus to MK from either resort. And good luck taking the boat back home at night on a weekend.

On-site dining is several orders of magnitude more convenient than traveling to DS from PO. Gotta draw the line somewhere for comparison's sake. It's fair to include Boatwright's for POFQ, but even so AK is the clear winner and it's not close.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Ehh, that's a bit generous on the boat ride. Taking the boat to Disney Springs from POFQ is no quicker than taking the bus to MK from either resort. And good luck taking the boat back home at night on a weekend.

On-site dining is several orders of magnitude more convenient than traveling to DS from PO. Gotta draw the line somewhere for comparison's sake. It's fair to include Boatwright's for POFQ, but even so AK is the clear winner and it's not close.

It all depends on timing. If timed properly it works. I do it all the time. If we're comparing POFQ/POR options to AK. Yes AK wins. I would though still take Boardwalk in general (YC/BC/Boardwalk) as the better options for dinning (discounting IG and EPCOT as an option). As good as AK is - personally I prefer Shula's, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Flying Fish etc...

correcaminos

I like POFQ but there is a pretty big difference between AKL to it. Just a thought, have you considered WL? Should be similar to AKL in pricing (last I looked) but closer to more dining options via boat.

Oh bother!

I’m sure you know this but if you move to a moderate check which dining plan would be free, it may be the quick service plan. Not sure if that’s a consideration for you x

Jon81uk

Thanks for pointing out the lack of restaurant at POFQ. It obviously hadn’t twigged with me that the restaurants are at Riverside.

For some reason when we booked before it seemed that SS could not be booked as early as other resorts. I’m keen to take advantage of free dining so need to be able to book prior to July (I think)

I would not worry about the fact French Quarter doesn't have a table service place, most of the time you will want the food court anyway. Would you actually eat table service at the same restaurant more than once a trip? We eat at the parks most of the time and also Disney Springs is only a boat ride from Port Orleans so its really easy to go visit all those restaurants too.

SpiteriFam

Original Poster
I like POFQ but there is a pretty big difference between AKL to it. Just a thought, have you considered WL? Should be similar to AKL in pricing (last I looked) but closer to more dining options via boat.

Good shout re WL. I’ve seen a decent price online for there with a TA we used before. I like the idea of the leisure facilities seemingly available within the grounds.

The pictures look great too

SpiteriFam

Original Poster
I’m sure you know this but if you move to a moderate check which dining plan would be free, it may be the quick service plan. Not sure if that’s a consideration for you x

I was actually thinking that if we did end up with a moderate I’d see about trying to upgrade from quick service to standard. Quick service food was fine once per day but I’m not convinced about twice daily over a long stay.

Daughter would’ve rated the cheese pizza in the Mara for every meal of the stay though!

SpiteriFam

Original Poster
I would not worry about the fact French Quarter doesn't have a table service place, most of the time you will want the food court anyway. Would you actually eat table service at the same restaurant more than once a trip? We eat at the parks most of the time and also Disney Springs is only a boat ride from Port Orleans so its really easy to go visit all those restaurants too.

You are correct that with all the options it seems a shame to use the same restaurant too often.

correcaminos

Good shout re WL. I’ve seen a decent price online for there with a TA we used before. I like the idea of the leisure facilities seemingly available within the grounds.

The pictures look great too

I normally hate giving advice for places people don't suggest, but given the dilemma it came to mind. We love it there though. We seem to visit it every trip. We'll be at BLT next, but glad we're just a boat ride away from WL.

The food options there are fantastic. I love all they have to offer there as a whole. Recreation choices are great and easy to get around to other locations (not any worse than the monorail IMO for example).

Oh bother!

I was actually thinking that if we did end up with a moderate I’d see about trying to upgrade from quick service to standard. Quick service food was fine once per day but I’m not convinced about twice daily over a long stay.

Daughter would’ve rated the cheese pizza in the Mara for every meal of the stay though!
I looked at doing that for both our 2018 and upcoming 2019 trip.
For the two of us the cost difference was fairly small, so for us AKL made a lot more sense!

DISR

Hi,

I go back and forth on our trips between theming and location as the drivers. As much as I love AKL and WL, I don't know that I would want to be stuck there for two weeks....I would want a more central location and more options/variety. The EP resorts offer a central location, direct access to two parks, and all of the World Showcase and Boardwalk dining. In addition, the renovated YC rooms are probably the best designed rooms I've been in...tons of storage and functionality. For two weeks, that would be one of my top choices. The other option I would consider is a 1 or 2 BR at SSR. Disney Springs and offsite grocery shopping is pretty convenient. You also greatly simplify the packing with in-room laundry facilities. The ability to have some meals in your room may be a plus for a stay that long. IMO SSR offers the easiest accessibility for off-property activities of all the Deluxe/DVC resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom