Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

flynnibus

Premium Member
GMR was waaaaaaay too dated. If featured that "really old movie" Alien(s) to quote Soider-man. And that was one of the newest movies it featured.

Who gives a damn about Busby Berkeley, John Wayne, Casablanca, or Singin' in the rain now? Very few Disney guests, that's for sure.. Even Wizard of Oz is pretty unknown to anyone under 20. It is well beyond its once a year TV event status

This is like saying we should throw out the fourth of July and instead replace it with a Kardashian's birthday...

Bender123

If there was something to report aside from the delay it would be.

In the meantime, it’s a good time to remember the GMR was split into movie genres, not movies.

I always understood that...The problem was that, without any real updates, the idea of it being genre representations melted with a generation that really didn't see those movies, that were being shown, as representative of what they knew the genre to be...

Alien represented Scifi, which is a awkward, as it doesn't really touch on what scifi is, anymore. Alien is basically a horror house movie, set in a spaceship. It doesn't really do much for the space opera genre, so the representing genre was a bit lost. Same for the Gangster Movies missed out on modern classics, like Godfather, Good Fellas, etc...Alien and Underworld are representative of what would be considered niche sections of much larger genres in the current environment.

When strung together, it ended up feeling like a disjointed travel through time, where it started out at the beginning, lurched into the 60s with Westerns, then 70s with Clint Eastwood and Alien, then 80s with Indy, before regressing to 50s style horror, Tarzan, Casablanca, Fantasia and Wizard of Oz. Im not sure that genre storyline really was that clear to the uninitiated.

To make it more muddy, by the time it closed, besides the ending movie, there were only two movies made in my lifetime and both were from days when I was not even in school, yet...Indy and Alien.

I just never understood how a ride with a theme that begged for constant updates never received any real updates or additions...I get that it was money...

Maybe Im just looking into it too much. I obsessed over that ride as a kid.

Bender123

Then again, CoP's version of the near future looks like a what the 1980s though the year 2000 would look like...

In the future we will have ovens that are too dumb to function with even basic logic, video game graphics out of the 1990 and we will all have "car phones".

wow...I just made myself sad...

Lensman

I always understood that...The problem was that, without any real updates, the idea of it being genre representations melted with a generation that really didn't see those movies, that were being shown, as representative of what they knew the genre to be...
Or that the genre itself had waned in popularity so that people don't have a connection to it - the musical, the western, the gangster movie, etc. I still blame execution here because you can still make the connection with those genres if you pick the right source. I think someone earlier mentioned the video montage at the end making more of a connection than the set pieces and I agree. But still I think it might be a stretch to think that there was anything that you could do to really engage people with those genres in a way that wouldn't require updating to make a connection with people. I don't think the majority of people want a history lesson - but if you're going to depend on that you might think about going all-in instead of only halfway like they decided.

Alien represented Scifi, which is a awkward, as it doesn't really touch on what scifi is, anymore. Alien is basically a horror house movie, set in a spaceship. It doesn't really do much for the space opera genre, so the representing genre was a bit lost. Same for the Gangster Movies missed out on modern classics, like Godfather, Good Fellas, etc...Alien and Underworld are representative of what would be considered niche sections of much larger genres in the current environment.
Alien was a great choice when the attraction opened despite the fact that it was a bit of a genre mixup - I agree that it was a horror movie
set in space but I think that's quibbling. And the franchise itself has proven durable so I'm not sure what excuse this segment of the attraction has if people think it's a bit blah.

When strung together, it ended up feeling like a disjointed travel through time, where it started out at the beginning, lurched into the 60s with Westerns, then 70s with Clint Eastwood and Alien, then 80s with Indy, before regressing to 50s style horror, Tarzan, Casablanca, Fantasia and Wizard of Oz. Im not sure that genre storyline really was that clear to the uninitiated.
I agree about many of the transitions being a bit jarring and taking you out of the ride.

To make it more muddy, by the time it closed, besides the ending movie, there were only two movies made in my lifetime and both were from days when I was not even in school, yet...Indy and Alien.
That shouldn't have mattered, but unfortunately it did.

Maybe Im just looking into it too much. I obsessed over that ride as a kid.
What do you mean?

Anyway, the new MMRR won't have these problems. It's going to be immersive where we're part of the story, not being lectured to about movie genres and history, right?

Dave B

No offense, but that is literally what we have been speaking about the last 3 pages.
No offense taken, BUT I jumped in the thread and read boxes 180, 181 and 182 prior to posting and did not see anything about my question, just a lot of banter about the movies included, I apologize but do not have the time to red all 183 boxes, so I just read the last three and did not see anything, sorry if I missed something

IMDREW

No offense taken, BUT I jumped in the thread and read boxes 180, 181 and 182 prior to posting and did not see anything about my question, just a lot of banter about the movies included, I apologize but do not have the time to red all 183 boxes, so I just read the last three and did not see anything, sorry if I missed something

Last few pages have indeed only been about GMR discussions and the occasional cryout to get the thread back on track.

If I’m not mistaken I believe @marni1971 dropped the ride was delayed big time. More looking like end of the year if not 2020 unfortunately.

Bender123

Or that the genre itself had waned in popularity so that people don't have a connection to it - the musical, the western, the gangster movie, etc. I still blame execution here because you can still make the connection with those genres if you pick the right source. I think someone earlier mentioned the video montage at the end making more of a connection than the set pieces and I agree. But still I think it might be a stretch to think that there was anything that you could do to really engage people with those genres in a way that wouldn't require updating to make a connection with people. I don't think the majority of people want a history lesson - but if you're going to depend on that you might think about going all-in instead of only halfway like they decided.

Alien was a great choice when the attraction opened despite the fact that it was a bit of a genre mixup - I agree that it was a horror movie
set in space but I think that's quibbling. And the franchise itself has proven durable so I'm not sure what excuse this segment of the attraction has if people think it's a bit blah.

I agree about many of the transitions being a bit jarring and taking you out of the ride.

That shouldn't have mattered, but unfortunately it did.

What do you mean?

Anyway, the new MMRR won't have these problems. It's going to be immersive where we're part of the story, not being lectured to about movie genres and history, right?

I'm a movie fan...I like learning about movie history. The issue with the ride was that the genres just seemed to be stuck. When it opened Godfather and star wars were things.

It just never evolved. It stayed stuck in an old mentality of what movies were...not what movies are.

nickys

Premium Member
I'm a movie fan...I like learning about movie history. The issue with the ride was that the genres just seemed to be stuck. When it opened Godfather and star wars were things.

It just never evolved. It stayed stuck in an old mentality of what movies were...not what movies are.

Yeah, Star Wars is just old hat now. It’ll never resonate with a modern audience. ;)

CaptainAmerica

So my mid-August trip is looking like 1) no MMRR, 2) no Rise of the Resistance, 3) MAYBE a soft opening of Galaxy's Edge.

Best case scenario TBH. Stumbling into an unannounced soft opening for a couple of hours before Twitter finds out would be the only hope of seeing Galaxy's Edge in the next year without crushing crowds. Bonus, my first visit to Toy Story Land will likely be during the first major lull in the land's existence.

etc98

As my mom always says Turner Classic cruises are very popular.. people still like Hollywood glamor and movies. That being said I just don’t think Mickeys will be enough. I wish HS would have some more low key omnivore rides, it would make such a difference.
You're right. There are just way too many carnivore and herbivore rides in that park, and not nearly enough omnivore rides!

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
So my mid-August trip is looking like 1) no MMRR, 2) no Rise of the Resistance, 3) MAYBE a soft opening of Galaxy's Edge.

Best case scenario TBH. Stumbling into an unannounced soft opening for a couple of hours before Twitter finds out would be the only hope of seeing Galaxy's Edge in the next year without crushing crowds. Bonus, my first visit to Toy Story Land will likely be during the first major lull in the land's existence.

I am in the same boat... If it wasn't for a sweet rate I have for the Contemporary (because another message board is having an anniversary or something), I might consider rescheduling this trip.

Disney Analyst

As my mom always says Turner Classic cruises are very popular.. people still like Hollywood glamor and movies. That being said I just don’t think Mickeys will be enough. I wish HS would have some more low key omnivore rides, it would make such a difference.

Turner Classic Cruises? Maybe for the grey hair crowd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom