Do you think we could see 1 day ticket prices at $200 bucks before long?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
In my lifetime, sure it's possible! But I'm actually thinking the opposite may happen. Low date-specific gate prices and the reintroduction of tiered value ticket books (digitally linked to your account/magicband). A lower gate price but with the additional option to purchase more ride tiers at $12 or so per person. The illusion of value.

Not dissimilar to the current fast-pass tier options only instead of free they'll be a charge to pick more ride/attractions. I think it's only a matter of time before it's implemented. :/

Trackmaster

In my lifetime, sure it's possible! But I'm actually thinking the opposite may happen. Low date-specific gate prices and the reintroduction of tiered value ticket books (digitally linked to your account/magicband). A lower gate price but with the additional option to purchase more ride tiers at $12 or so per person. The illusion of value.

Not dissimilar to the current fast-pass tier options only instead of free they'll be a charge to pick more ride/attractions. I think it's only a matter of time before it's implemented. :/

No way. People love the idea of paying one price at the gate (or these days for the season) and riding all of the rides for "free." Guests think that they're riding all day for free, but they don't do the math and realize that they're paying $15-20 a ride. Sure, if they charged per ride, lines would plummet, but the cost of waiting in lines falls on the consumer, not the park. So Disney is just going to keep pumping more guests into the park, and not worrying about ideas like that.

The way that I see it, charging per ride puts a lot of stress on the guests, even if its revenue neutral for the park. For the seven minute ride you're thinking, "is this ride really worth $14 for seven minutes of my life??" The more the cost is hidden, the more people just enjoy their vacation, and not have to worry about stuff like that. Its all revenue neutral for the park, and they've improved the guest experience.

These days, parks don't even have to charge for all per sale anymore. More parks are moving towards dining plans and credits to make the experience more cashless. I don't see parks going back to the 50's model of ticketbooks anytime soon.

bhg469

There is a rumor that Universal's new park will be hub and spoke design but with a major difference. Each land will be an entrance, and the "hub" will be free to enter for anyone but there will be no attractions. I wouldnt mind a no ride pass feature to any of the disney parks. I would gladly pay less to just walk in, and not ride anything. What is the worst that could happen? I could buy things and spend money on food and drinks?

Bpmorley

There is a rumor that Universal's new park will be hub and spoke design but with a major difference. Each land will be an entrance, and the "hub" will be free to enter for anyone but there will be no attractions. I wouldnt mind a no ride pass feature to any of the disney parks. I would gladly pay less to just walk in, and not ride anything. What is the worst that could happen? I could buy things and spend money on food and drinks?
We met a couple a few years back in HS(may have been MGM at the time) and they didn't go on any rides. They bought tickets just walk around the parks and soak some disney in. They should have some kind of free pass to do so.

Trackmaster

You're kidding right? The midways at Disney aren't crowded enough already that we need to let hoards of cheapskate non-riders in? There are plenty of places in America to go and walk around, waste time, dine, shop, etc. Let us have our parks with our rides. Don't turn Disney into a state fair/carnival.

Shouldigo12

We met a couple a few years back in HS(may have been MGM at the time) and they didn't go on any rides. They bought tickets just walk around the parks and soak some disney in. They should have some kind of free pass to do so.
Like Trackmaster said, this be a really bad idea for a park already struggling with crowding issues.

Trackmaster

Like Trackmaster said, this be a really bad idea for a park already struggling with crowding issues.

And that's the purpose of the hotels, Disney Springs, movie theaters, etc. If people want to relax and hang out, they go those places. I understand that when you're on vacation not every minute can be spent rushing from ride to ride. But you can't be wasting valuable park square footage on people who aren't there to do park stuff.

bhg469

I'm not even saying free.. but a reduced price pass would be great.

bhg469

You're kidding right? The midways at Disney aren't crowded enough already that we need to let hoards of cheapskate non-riders in? There are plenty of places in America to go and walk around, waste time, dine, shop, etc. Let us have our parks with our rides. Don't turn Disney into a state fair/carnival.
Myopic view... No one said free... And they have ways to reduce crowding, it's called building attractions people want to be on.

jloucks

Myopic view... No one said free... And they have ways to reduce crowding, it's called building attractions people want to be on.
WDW is a global attraction with unlimited demand. you could add 5 more gates, and you are going to have the same crowding issues. You have to find ways to reduce demand, not increase it. Adding popular attraction increases demand.

Right now, I suspect a leading demand limiter is the crowding. Obviously when a limiter to demand is removed, demand just increases.

danyoung56

And they have ways to reduce crowding, it's called building attractions people want to be on.

Huh? This seems exactly backwards. If Disney were building more attractions people want to be on, then the crowds would grow, not shrink. Am I missing something?

Trackmaster

Reading comprehension would have saved an argument in this case. Yes, the OP was talking about Universal, but their point was that they would like to see Disney try this. My response was No way Jose.

Janir

No way. People love the idea of paying one price at the gate (or these days for the season) and riding all of the rides for "free." Guests think that they're riding all day for free, but they don't do the math and realize that they're paying $15-20 a ride. Sure, if they charged per ride, lines would plummet, but the cost of waiting in lines falls on the consumer, not the park. So Disney is just going to keep pumping more guests into the park, and not worrying about ideas like that.

The way that I see it, charging per ride puts a lot of stress on the guests, even if its revenue neutral for the park. For the seven minute ride you're thinking, "is this ride really worth $14 for seven minutes of my life??" The more the cost is hidden, the more people just enjoy their vacation, and not have to worry about stuff like that. Its all revenue neutral for the park, and they've improved the guest experience.

These days, parks don't even have to charge for all per sale anymore. More parks are moving towards dining plans and credits to make the experience more cashless. I don't see parks going back to the 50's model of ticketbooks anytime soon.
Remember folks, way back when, that's how they charged for tickets. You bought A->E ticket rides. Then they moved to a park entrance model to make more money, make it easier on guests and overall simplify their system.

Trackmaster

Huh? This seems exactly backwards. If Disney were building more attractions people want to be on, then the crowds would grow, not shrink. Am I missing something?

Have you heard of the growing the size of the pie argument? In negotiations, parties will often times forgo their slice of a pie if they deem that by doing so it will grow the size of the pie, and thus increase their size of the pie. In this case, if we're to think of the pie as being demand for a ride, even those the slices of the pie are smaller from a percentage standpoint, more rides cause more demand, so potentially, the existing rides get a spillover benefit from the newer, exciting rides.

Its the reason that while many amusement parks have a Teacups ride that isn't that much different than Disney's, Disney's is the only one that ever gets a line. And that while Disney has fine dining and gourmet options, you still still people eating chicken fingers for almost the same price: tons of bodies at the park, and they can't all fit in the fancy restaurants.

flynnibus

Premium Member

When you build capacity - your park can handle more people..

That's been the problem in the last decade... less 'sponge' in the parks to hold and occupy people, while demand has been increasing.. thus more 'crowded'.

TL : DR - make a distinction between 'attendance' and 'crowd levels'

OneofThree

The truth about Disney Ticket prices:

Can't remember the specific figures as I did the calculations quite some time ago but, I went back and looked at admission costs and average household income back in the early/mid 80's versus today. Bottom line was that at least in terms of tickets (accommodations, food, etc aside), the percentage to income was similar. Demand for the product however has increased significantly (due to US population growth and international interest). What this means is that Disney's horrible price increases aren't really price increases at all as such. There's still quite a bit of room to raise admission before price comes even close to addressing demand. As such, I would not be at all surprised to see $200 in the near future (with multi-day and annual solution pricing increased accordingly).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom