Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

...it's a yungle

It’s been said, “When you can’t find the answer to ‘why?’...it’s money, that’s why”

If not for technical reasons, maybe it’s this: while enjoying a gourmet dinner, a Bob thought bubble appeared, 💭“The chef doesn’t present all 11 courses at once...they’re presented one course at a time, so as to give full attention to each new offering, building anticipation for the next and extending the overall experience. Thank you chef, put it on the corporate account”.

Falcon, Rise, Mickey...if all 3 open simultaneously, packed house. One at a time, packed house. 1 open then 2 open, 2 open then 1 open, packed house...for years. Every business is about the almighty dollar, so why not open 1 at a time, from a business standpoint.
All agree there’s need for more capacity now and more so when all 3 new attractions are open. For once-a-year guests, if they can experience all 3 at once, thanks, see ya next year. If they stagger it and open 1 every 4 months they just might get those annual guests to visit twice or thrice in one year, or thrice in 2 years.

Why?
Follow the green, not the dream
(Just an outsiders thought😉)

mm52200

It’s been said, “When you can’t find the answer to ‘why?’...it’s money, that’s why”

If not for technical reasons, maybe it’s this: while enjoying a gourmet dinner, a Bob thought bubble appeared, 💭“The chef doesn’t present all 11 courses at once...they’re presented one course at a time, so as to give full attention to each new offering, building anticipation for the next and extending the overall experience. Thank you chef, put it on the corporate account”.

Falcon, Rise, Mickey...if all 3 open simultaneously, packed house. One at a time, packed house. 1 open then 2 open, 2 open then 1 open, packed house...for years. Every business is about the almighty dollar, so why not open 1 at a time, from a business standpoint.
All agree there’s need for more capacity now and more so when all 3 new attractions are open. For once-a-year guests, if they can experience all 3 at once, thanks, see ya next year. If they stagger it and open 1 every 4 months they just might get those annual guests to visit twice or thrice in one year, or thrice in 2 years.

Why?
Follow the green, not the dream
(Just an outsiders thought😉)
Or it just has technical problems and is being delayed because of that....

MickeyMinnieMom

Obviously it would be needed ASAP for the SWL crowds, let alone the Christmas crowds. It will be open as soon as it is possible but currently it’s looking later rather than sooner.
The deadline was originally achievable.
He did. Apart from it’s not applicable in this case. Quality has nothing to do with any delay.
I'm not sure how to interpret the 3rd comment given the 1st and 2nd... If it's not that there's a problem (i.e. "quality" isn't there yet -- whether that reliability, tech up to snuff, etc. - 3.), why delay something that is needed (1.)? Probably can't answer, but I'm confused!

matt9112

I think it’ll make a great centrepiece to the park, so I’m fully on board with the location. It seems to boil down to whether one liked the Great Movie Ride or not. While I enjoyed aspects of it (the Wizard of Oz scene was amazing), I can’t say I’m sorry to see it replaced. I appreciate that others are, though.

boils down to parks lack of capacity....i did enjoy the former attraction HOWEVER it boils down to capacity....that this park lacks in gigantic terms.

LittleBuford

the mickey ride is just replacing capacity...jot expanding it....your point iscthis is a better ride etc. and my point was quality of ride is irrelevant it should have been built by itself so there was capacity GAINS.

But that’s a separate argument entirely. I don’t believe any ride should be kept open just because it helps swallow crowds.

LittleBuford

But if it's swallowing crowds of people...then it must have some popularity to it.
The problem is when you have an attraction that COULD swallow crowds but doesn't.

That's another strike against the Great Movie Ride, because it really wasn't swallowing crowds towards the end of its time. As your second sentence suggest, perhaps an overhaul would have changed that.

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

That's another strike against the Great Movie Ride, because it really wasn't swallowing crowds towards the end of its time. As your second sentence suggest, perhaps an overhaul would have changed that.

Exactly...that was my point. It had the potential to swallow crowds but wasn't (except for peak seasons I'd imagine). It could've been overhauled to swallow crowds again...but they chose to completely change it. I'm ok with the change but I do wish we could've had both. Having Mickey in the middle of the park seems appropriate though. It's not a studios park anymore.

Ideally it would've been nice to be able to have Mickey at the middle, Muppets, Star Wars, Pixar, and then Marvel on Sunset and create an "acquisition" park for the IPs that didn't originally start out as Disney which stems out from the center...which would've been Mickey and Disney Animation.

matt9112

could have....you know with any remote inkling of attention or care? something it never seemed to get except for the short lived TMC deal....

LittleBuford

could have....you know with any remote inkling of attention or care? something it never seemed to get except for the short lived TMC deal....

We'll never know. My own view is that the concept was more the issue than the execution. It's not as if the ride was falling apart or anything in its final days.

matt9112

We'll never know. My own view is that the concept was more the issue than the execution. It's not as if the ride was falling apart or anything in its final days.

its a culture thing....every new ride is all this over the top xyz crammed into a 4 minute experience...no time to soak anything in or really take it in. PS this is why SSE is my favorite ride on property and im not some old fart. im 29....but i appreciate things more so maybe....i dont want all the pizzaz and glitter for 30 seconds....i want something deeper with meaning.

LittleBuford

its a culture thing....every new ride is all this over the top xyz crammed into a 4 minute experience...no time to soak anything in or really take it in. PS this is why SSE is my favorite ride on property and im not some old fart. im 29....but i appreciate things more so maybe....i dont want all the pizzaz and glitter for 30 seconds....i want something deeper with meaning.

SSE is one of my favourites too, and I'm also a fan of classic attractions. But for some reason, even though I love dark rides, animatronics, and film, I always found the Great Movie Ride lacking. I'm really not sure why.

Sir_Cliff

SSE is one of my favourites too, and I'm also a fan of classic attractions. But for some reason, even though I love dark rides, animatronics, and film, I always found the Great Movie Ride lacking. I'm really not sure why.
Must admit that I am exactly the same. I adore SSE, but Great Movie Ride always left me cold. Perhaps the slow-moving giant ride vehicles and soundstage-scale sets all ultimately gave it the feeling of rolling past a series of reconstructions of scenes from major motion pictures without any sense of intimacy or involvement. The guides, in my experience, didn't really overcome that and the film montage at the end probably packed the most emotional punch of the whole attraction for me.

I know this will not be a popular view here, but I think it was one of those attractions that was ambitious and sounded good on paper but never quite worked in practice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom