News Tower of Terror to operate at reduced capacity due to an extended refurbishment

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Would anybody contest to them adding in another profile to mimic what was at ToT DCA?

Small Drop - Small Drop - Ascend to top - small drop, big drop - ascend then immediate drop - slow ascend, gain momentum - loiter at top - last big drop - end.

Would this profile even match the ride time in the drop shaft?
There’s room for 3 or 4 more profiles (don’t recall which without checking)

The Summer Nightastic profile is still in there too.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
There’s room for 3 or 4 more profiles (don’t recall which without checking)

The Summer Nightastic profile is still in there too.

I thought the problem may be the ride time in the drop shaft, but i'm not sure. I also don't know the profiles or their names.

Rodj

I don't remember that effect. The second time was kind of plain, but the first profile there was a very faint strobe light on a manikin looking ghost figure near the bottom of the shaft.. (if i'm not imagining things) this actually creeped me out, but up to that point I was a little disappointed with the lower volume of the courtyard music and all narration outside of the pre-show. I couldn't hear anything!

I see what you mean, DHS's drop profiles do feel shorter but I wasn't sure. Thanks!
This was the best video I could find of that profile where you can see the motion slightly from the light leaks:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
This was the best video I could find of that profile where you can see the motion slightly from the light leaks:

Oh wow, that's pretty much it! Only real difference was the very last drop

On a side note, that video you posted was 7 years ago and the audio sync was still wayyyyyy off in the hallway showscene.. eeeh.

Rodj

On a side note, that video you posted was 7 years ago and the audio sync was still wayyyyyy off in the hallway showscene.. eeeh.
2009 was when the audio was upgraded to Solid State, however from that point to early 2013, Charlie has had the worst synchronization as it played the longer version of the beginning audio and Delta was playing the shorter version(Which surprisingly made the hallway scene perfectly on sync, however only after the door motor change), I call that period the worst time period for the ToT(besides Summer Nightastic) because of how messed up and scrambled the audio was. Each shaft was its own audio test until they made them play the proper audio version for each shaft in later 2013.

Tom Morrow

2009 was when the audio was upgraded to Solid State, however from that point to early 2013, Charlie has had the worst synchronization as it played the longer version of the beginning audio and Delta was playing the shorter version(Which surprisingly made the hallway scene perfectly on sync, however only after the door motor change), I call that period the worst time period for the ToT(besides Summer Nightastic) because of how messed up and scrambled the audio was. Each shaft was its own audio test until they made them play the proper audio version for each shaft in later 2013.
Unless the music track stops -before- the window shatters in the corridor scene, it still isn't correct. Been a couple months since I've ridden but I believe the music was still out of sync.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Unless the music track stops -before- the window shatters in the corridor scene, it still isn't correct. Been a couple months since I've ridden but I believe the music was still out of sync.
As a guide to being in sync, there should be a quick “harp” like strum rising in pitch as the big spark flickers from floor to ceiling after the ghosts disappear.

Purduevian

Where dates ever attached to this? My 60 day window is still about a month away, but looking at the Fastpass days I can see TOT is out basically every day. I assume this is due to running at 1/2 capacity causing only 1/2 fastpasses to be offered. Just curious when work is supposed to finish up or if there will be a break between the sides to run at full capacity during busy seasons.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Where dates ever attached to this? My 60 day window is still about a month away, but looking at the Fastpass days I can see TOT is out basically every day. I assume this is due to running at 1/2 capacity causing only 1/2 fastpasses to be offered. Just curious when work is supposed to finish up or if there will be a break between the sides to run at full capacity during busy seasons.
I can’t recall what was chosen but one option was to disable Fastpass for the work.

Thelazer

I'm confused why it wouldn't be hard to get this in sync. I'm guessing that there is set triggers that start the playback of show elements. It would be, trival to adjust the SMTP code, or other code to move forward / back the time these sound effects play back. Is it a lack of trying or not having the time to do it? Just seems odd that when something was converted to solid state, or a drop profile updated, they wouldn't update all the other elements to match it as needed if it's just a edit to a timeline in a programming code.

Purduevian

I can’t recall what was chosen but one option was to disable Fastpass for the work.

That actually would be a good thing. Are there any projected dates when this refurb should be done? Since the ride isn't actually going down, I don't believe Disney has published anything

iowamomof4

Do we know if this refurb has already begun? I've seen some scattered reports of only one elevator shaft operating, but that can happen just about any time from regular maintenance/run-of-the-mill downtime, so I wasn't sure.

Tom Morrow

What's the word on this refurbishment? When did it start? How far along are they?

I was there the other day and I noticed only Foxtrot side was running, so I assume Echo side is under refurbishment. Was Echo the first one to go under refurb or second? It had an 80 minute wait due to this on an otherwise not particularly busy day, so I didn't bother.

rct247

Refurb has started. Fastpasses are extremely limited if not almost completely wiped. It should take most of the summer so expect long wait times, on par with Slinky at times. I want to say they may only have one out of the four loads open at one point. That will be rough to wait on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom