Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This forum is slacking...

And that's where it was when it was locked!

AEfx

Sounds like you are just being over sensitive. Playing the victim. But obviously if you can’t smell something it doesn’t have a scent. Your offended because you want to be. Life is better when you aren’t trying to make others live by your made up rules.

Exactly. If someone notices I’m told I smell like “vanilla cupcakes”. Oh noes, the horror...unless they ban the cologne and perfume people seem to douse themselves in, I don’t wanna hear it.

I was perfectly happy only vaping in designated smoking areas, but with this - sorry, try to stop me. I’ll still be unobtrusive and not make a spectacle of myself, but considering that I can set mine to barely produce anything visible...again, good luck stopping me. Normally I’m not so flippant about rules and such, but vaping in a secluded area isn’t bothering anyone unless they want to be bothered.

On the general topic, I’m was actually dreading opening this thread, so I’m pleasantly surprised how much common sense is actually in here. We are far from the days where there were half a dozen areas in each park, and the scant few left were just fine the way they were. As many have said, this will simply increase the smoking everywhere and we all know Disney isn’t going to kick people out for it. It’s just a PR move and nothing else.

Paper straw fan

The legal basis of a "dangerous" item isn't needed though of course the argument could be made. Disney is private property. You agree to play by their rules by entering their property. And I know they won't ban the products, I was simply offering my opinion on how to save the CMs the trouble of that "oh gee do I risk getting screamed/spit at to do my job with this person smoking right now" inner debate. IF Disney had chosen this route it would be as simple as any other prohibited item.

But you want security trained to search for, locate, and confiscate tobacco. Honestly I’d rather they focus on weapons, and the nut case gun humpers that would being them in, as opposed to some guy’s pack of Camel Lights.

Plus, 99.9% of people who have them on hand are probably keeping them handy for when they follow rules and go to their designated banishment area in the back of Dopey parking in a coned off 10x10 area with 80 other smokers (that someone is going to walk within 50 feet of, and still complain the smoke is stunting precious baby Skyylarke’s innocent, patriotic lungs.

daisyduckie

Exactly. People blow second hand smoke way out of proportion. Indoors they have a very valid point, but you’re not going to get cancer from getting a few whiffs of a cigarette for a minute or two while you’re on the steamboat passing the smoking section in Frontierland. I’m sorry, but you’re not.

But it may be enough to cause an asthma attack, which is no fun either.

bubbles1812

The timing is quick, but I'm guessing they want all these new policies in place and the CMs accustomed to it before Star Wars? The rules are for both WDW and DLR. I assume they're expecting SW:GE to draw new guests who have no previous park experiences.

ETA: Downtown Disney in California is also included in this. But Disney Springs hasn't been mentioned in any stories I've seen, which is interesting.
I believe Disney Springs is included. I read announcements on several different news sites and saw it included as part of the ban multiple times. Possible I misinterpreted, of course. I’m still happy with the ban regardless.

BoarderPhreak

But it may be enough to cause an asthma attack, which is no fun either.
Understandable... But this risk is ever present out in the real world. Does the Disney Bubble™ now extend to eliminating all potential risks to an individual?

Granted, a bit far flung example - but where does one draw the line?

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

This won't go well.

Listen, I don't like cigarette smoke either, but to expect someone who is addicted to cigarettes to walk from American Adventure, or Rafiki's Planet Watch, to the front gate is fantasy talk. They won't walk miles for a cigarette, at best they'll find an isolated space and at worst they'll light up as they walk to their next destination.

Keeping the smoking areas is a better solution and if there are that many complaints about open air smoke, then sealed smoking rooms with smoke eater air filters and some comfortable seating is the best choice. Just because someone smokes a cigarette, doesn't make them sub-human and worthy of scorn. Make the areas appealing to smokers and they will happily seek them out.

THIS,, this is genius and right on!

StarWarsGirl

Exactly. People blow second hand smoke way out of proportion. Indoors they have a very valid point, but you’re not going to get cancer from getting a few whiffs of a cigarette for a minute or two while you’re on the steamboat passing the smoking section in Frontierland. I’m sorry, but you’re not.
It's not so much about cancer in my case. Every time I walk by a smoking area accidentally (some of them have been very poorly placed), I get a big whiff of smoke, and then I start coughing and wheezing. Then I usually have to take my inhaler. If it's a cigar, I have an even more serious reaction. My maternal grandmother was a smoker, and then she developed an allergy to cigarettes. Like, breaking out in hives from it. That made her quit real fast.

I'm personally very concerned about smokers lighting up wherever they feel like it. They already do it. A lot. At this point, I'm wondering how good any solution is that satisfies everyone.

Minnesota disney fan

The only way this works is if they forbid tobacco products inside the gate, Disney wouldn’t have to be strict about it for everyone but if someone complains about another person smoking it would empower CM and security to ask that person to turn out their pockets if they have smoking parafenalia you either turn it over or get kicked out.

Right, they should just put him in shackles and drag him/her down to jail in front of their kids.
Come on, get real. There is no need to treat smokers like 2nd class citizens or some kind of criminals.
They have an addiction that is extremely hard to break, so this judgmental attitude I'm seeing from some on here is not helpful.

PS: I do not smoke and never have FWIW,

jaklgreen

Don't tell me what to do, I know it's bad, bUT it's my choice. I go to the corner out of everyone's way and not around children in the designated areas. As someone who follows the rules, I don't appreciate being shamed for a choice I make that isn't harming anyone but me.

I'm not telling you what to do. Smoke all you want but not around others that don't want to be around it. Especially a park full of children. You are denying that second hand smoke affects others? Again, if smoking did not affect others, it would not be an issue.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

So - our story.....

1. 14 years, about $12,000.00 per year, parks, restaurants.
  2. I smoke. Apparently? I should be killed.
  3. Done. DVC contract going up for sale. I am not going back, after booked 2019 vacations. Hit David's - there will be a LOT of cheap DVC contracts around 2020 :).

Not a gripe - WDW chose, and I have chosen. We are no longer a good fit. I have no doubt that others will just flood in with comments.... no problem. I'm just not going to participate anymore.

Now, everyone is going to say "who cares". Ahead of time - no need to care. Don't need sympathy. This is a BUSINESS deal. I now choose to say "NO". Tired of being treated as a Leper, instead of a customer :(.

So why the post? Well. OTHERS, not affected, may desire to look for GREAT DEALS after 5-1-2019. WE are bailing.... but YOU, being politically correct, MAY snag a great deal on DVC, PARK Tickets. Wishing the best, for others.... Start checking those DVC sales, WDW or third party :).

StarWarsGirl

Understandable... But this risk is ever present out in the real world. Does the Disney Bubble™ now extend to eliminating all potential risks to an individual?

Granted, a bit far flung example - but where does one draw the line?
As an asthmatic, I can tell you I have problems way more at WDW than I have with other public places as far as encountering cigarette smoke. Especially with smoking areas that were not off the beaten path. And smokers lighting up wherever in WDW too. That's my main concern with getting rid of them altogether. Day to day at home, I practically never encounter smoke.

eliza61nyc

All of the laws in existence, and any laws enacted in the future, are meaningless to those who choose to ignore them.
I spent the larger part of my adult life enforcing those laws and I can tell you that if a person wants to drive under the influence of alcohol, or some other substance, they will do so with zero regard for the consequences, feelings of others, or mayhem caused by their actions.
Alcohol is responsible for 88,000 or more deaths per year in the U.S. and that figure continues to rise.
Stronger laws are nothing more than a placebo that makes righteous people feel good.
Mankind is not hard wired to obey laws.
They must want to obey those laws in order for them to be effective.
Disney's smoking laws will only drive those determined to smoke to new levels of stealth to accomplish their desire to feed their addiction.

You are absolutely right but I think the difference is the tolerance. I disagree about whether it makes people feel good. A mother who's daughter has been killed is never going to feel "good", and she's not working for stiffer penalties to be self righteous or "feel" good. she's doing it so another person does not have to suffer because bozo the irresponsible moron wants to get liguored up she's doing it so he won't kill someone else's daughter.

When folks campaign for smoke free environment, they aren't doing it to be self righteous. I'm doing it because I don't want to deal with cancer or emphysema because of YOUR addiction.

Nor do I care if a smoker has to be sneaky, good. stand in the bushes behind the outhouse. them being sneaky means less chance of me smelling or inhaling it.

Yeah, I'm self righteous. I've seen what cancer of the throat looks like. I've smelled my bedroom after someone in the balcony above me decides to smoke and yes I call security. at least 70 of the chemicals in cigarettes are known carcinogens. LOL it ain't about self righteousness, it's about self preservation. again, if a smoker wants to kill himself, have at it. puff away.

lastly, it's not an either or proposition. I can fully support a ban on smoking while trying to solve the opiod crisis.

What just because kids are overdosing I have to smell smoke?? not seeing the correlation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom