No more loose ice starting May 1

disneyflush

Original Poster
Not the world's biggest news but wanted to make anyone aware who might be planning on doing this on an upcoming trip. Loose ice and dry ice will not be permitted into the parks beginning May 1. You can apparently still go by Food and Beverage and gets complimentary cups of ice if you want to go that route. Disney is recommending re-usable ice packs instead. If you are staying in a room without freezing privileges then you may need to get fairly creative.

Jon81uk

I would assume security.

I meant, why is ice a secuirity risk?

I can get the dry ice would be a problem due to the risk of expansion and issues in sealed containers. My assumption is therefore that security can't tell the difference between CO2 dry ice and H2O wet ice, so they ban both.
Can't see any direct reason water ice would be a security risk that wouldn't also apply to liquid water.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

I can get the dry ice would be a problem due to the risk of expansion and issues in sealed containers. My assumption is therefore that security can't tell the difference between CO2 dry ice and H2O wet ice, so they ban both.
Can't see any direct reason water ice would be a security risk that wouldn't also apply to liquid water.
Maybe people with coolers that contained "wet" ice have dumped it wherever therefore causing a slip hazard. Easier just to ban it.

Jon81uk

People were routinely bringing “loose ice” (whatever that is...ice cubes, I guess?) into the parks? Why?
Because you can get it from the ice machine in your hotel and then use it to keep the drinks in your cooler cold. If you are already bringing a stroller to carry all your food and drink (and maybe a child) then why not add ice to the cooler. Unless you have a villa it would be hard to freeze plastic ice packs, but almost all hotels have ice machines.

peter11435

The ice itself is not the security risk. It’s that security can’t see what might be hiding in a cooler full of loose ice without digging through it.

lentesta

Premium Member
It didn't work the first time -- there are always too many exceptions to allow enforcement on everybody else.

I'm told they're just worried about eliminating traffic flow and safety risks for lots and lots of people walking very, very fast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom