AKL refurb -- rooms?

MagicalThinking

I also read that all the rooms in Jambo were to refurbished with a fall 2019 completion date, but that they didn’t start on time, so the date is pushed back to spring 2020. Supposedly, there is only a very small amount of rooms that are done so far, and they are taking it slow to keep the most amount of rooms available. Interesting to note...DVC values are unavailable from late 2019 to early 2020 due to construction. We are renting points In January 2020 for two standard (not value) studios, and when he checked at 8am, 11 months out, not a single one was available after 1/26. He said it was very odd, as there were still some available for early in the month, so we moved our dates up. I’m kind of wondering if it has to do with the construction, but that’s just my guess...

Greg H

Interesting to note...DVC values are unavailable from late 2019 to early 2020 due to construction. We are renting points In January 2020 for two standard (not value) studios, and when he checked at 8am, 11 months out, not a single one was available after 1/26. He said it was very odd, as there were still some available for early in the month, so we moved our dates up. I’m kind of wondering if it has to do with the construction, but that’s just my guess...

I was told by DVC it was due to construction. There is a note on the website now (in the booking engine) that also says this. I think it is from around Dec 3rd 2019 to late Jan 2020. I think the value rooms started coming back around Jan 26th 2020 or something like that...

MagicalThinking

We were trying to secure a standard studio at Jambo for 1/28-2/6. I was just thinking to myself that the timing was curious. Right as the values become available again, the standard studios are unavailable, like maybe they were next? Or maybe just some of them, so therefore, less are available? Idk, I’m not DVC, and we just moved our dates up, and left it at that. I have no way to see if my theory is correct. Lol 😊

nickys

Premium Member
Looks like they've adopted some of the functional elements of the Yacht and Beach Club room updates, and I'm a big fan of those. Can you confirm that these rooms are in AKL and not DVC Jambo house? Any idea what floor/wing has the updates completed? Thanks!
these are definitely standard AKL rooms not DVC.

Just to clarify for @DISR, Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort has two separate parts to it. Jambo and Kidani. Kidani is totally DVC rooms, whereas Jambo has both DVC and non-DVC rooms.

The pictures show non-DVC rooms in Jambo House.

Apologies if you knew this @DISR, but some people think there are three parts to the resort (Jambo, Kidani and AKL itself).

DISR

I'm tracking on the different AKL/DVC options. I could only see one bed in the picture, which I believe is the standard layout in the DVC studios....that is what made me ask the question. I know there are a few rooms with single kings in the main resorts, but in limited numbers. The AKL and/or Jambo DVC renovations seem to have lots of places acknowledging the work, but few places with any information on what is happening. Kind of curious since there renovations don't really need to be close-hold. It doesn't really impact me one way or the other, but I am big fan of AKL and WL....always curious what is in store for the future there.

MagicalThinking

I'm tracking on the different AKL/DVC options. I could only see one bed in the picture, which I believe is the standard layout in the DVC studios....that is what made me ask the question. I know there are a few rooms with single kings in the main resorts, but in limited numbers. The AKL and/or Jambo DVC renovations seem to have lots of places acknowledging the work, but few places with any information on what is happening. Kind of curious since there renovations don't really need to be close-hold. It doesn't really impact me one way or the other, but I am big fan of AKL and WL....always curious what is in store for the future there.
There’s two beds in the pic. 😉

CaptainAmerica

Thanks for the info. As I mentioned before...raised beds, USB ports everywhere, well designed/plentiful storage, removable showerhead for bathing kids, are all great improvements. Disney got it right with the YC renovation and it looks like they are expanding it to other resorts.
I believe the Grand Californian set the template for this new layout.

Indy_UK

I like the look of these refurbs. The rooms looks brighter to me but may be wrong. Hopefully all work will be done and dusted by Fall 2020

DISR

Another blogger's site is showing pics of room renovations being staged from closed off areas of the Savannah....basically accessing the rooms from the outside. This seems like it could affect the animal viewing experience...I doubt they would come close to your room if there was equipment operating in close proximity. Maybe the work is being done in sections so that areas where the animal behavior would be affected are closed off?

I haven't seen much chatter on this, so maybe Disney is handling it well, and it has minimal impact to guests. In the past Disney has notified me when there is a renovation or closure which may impact the hotel I am staying at. In this case, there has been no notification associated with my August reservation.

DISR

I just stayed at AKL from Aug 22-26. There are renovations ongoing with visibly work being performed on the Arusha Savannah rooms nearest the pool. It was a non-issue for us since we were on the opposite side of that Savannah. The animals seemed unaffected and seemed to follow their normal pattern of going wherever the food was put out. There were no giraffes present on the Arusha for most of our stay though. A cast member told us new giraffes were being introduced to that area, and were still acclimating in the barn...they would come out of the barn when they were ready.

I stayed in a renovated room and it was nice looking and functional. Not as good as the renovated rooms at YC, but still well done and in keeping with the overall theme of the resort.

I asked about bunk bed rooms and the front desk told me two things: 1. they are very popular 2 Disney is phasing them out. That is kind of a head scratcher to me.

In case I don't get around to a trip report, I will also mention that I much preferred the Kidani pool to the Jambo House one. I don't think I've seen that opinion voiced a lot anywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom