News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What is funny to me is that this deal was really positioned as being for Disney+.... BUT barely anything they acquired is actually going to Disney+? I can't imagine that nothing of Fox makes its way there.

If anything this deal was more to create a robust Hulu that Disney owns?

I kind of hope Hulu/Disney+ are packaged. Or maybe they should have just gone with a single unified platform.

Well, there's production houses and there are distributors. Just like when Disney used to distribute under Touchstone or under Disney depending on the branding and rating, a Fox-related studio could crank out family fare but then be 'distributed' and thus 'branded' by Disney theatrically or streamingly. Also, while those brands are going to be associated with D+, it doesn't stop other content from showing up. There are shows on the Disney channel not produced in any way by Disney.

But, yeah, most of Fox will head to Hulu.

BrianLo

Well, there's production houses and there are distributors. Just like when Disney used to distribute under Touchstone or under Disney depending on the branding and rating, a Fox-related studio could crank out family fare but then be 'distributed' and thus 'branded' by Disney theatrically or streamingly. Also, while those brands are going to be associated with D+, it doesn't stop other content from showing up. There are shows on the Disney channel not produced in any way by Disney.

But, yeah, most of Fox will head to Hulu.

Fair point. In other words even if Fox doesn't spin down production that much, probably a chunk of their appropriate movies will be distributed by Disney moving forward.

I just expect things like Home Alone, Greatest Showman, The Kid who would be King to wind up on Disney+, not Hulu. The Avatar movies feel Disney+ bound.

What really gets tricky is where does the R-rated Marvel fare wind up.

tomast

Marge: Homer Come back!
Marge: He is my husband!
Suit: Now he is our husband!
D2HHBdRXQAA9vTu.jpg:large

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Fair point. In other words even if Fox doesn't spin down production that much, probably a chunk of their appropriate movies will be distributed by Disney moving forward.

I just expect things like Home Alone, Greatest Showman, The Kid who would be King to wind up on Disney+, not Hulu. The Avatar movies feel Disney+ bound.

What really gets tricky is where does the R-rated Marvel fare wind up.

Definitely Hulu. Especially if the Netflix Marvel ever comes home to roost.

LukeS7

I think Deadpool will be more tied to the MCU than Fox tied him to the mainline X-men in his first two go arounds. But I kind of doubt it will be a full two-way street. Meaning it won't be essential viewing canon for the team up movies.

I just can't see him being included in one of the tentpole (Avengers) movies. Maybe X-men, Maybe Guardians.

But Deadpool 3 will totally be rife with MCU jokes, cameos and probably a fourth wall breaking acquisition acknowledgement.
I'm hopeful that they start doing Deadpool commentary tracks for their films where it's basically just Ryan Reynolds riffing on the MCU while in-character 🤞

Lucky Rabbit

Go back to my original post. I know they're going to continue making Deadpool, I was making a separate point in my response to @Crossfire. Those Deadpool movies will not be part of the MCU.

Deadpool 3 will be made and it will be R, but it won't be made by Feige and the team at Marvel Studios.
It 100% will be made by Marvel Studios.

You also have to understand Deadpool interacts with a lot of other Marvel characters. You think Feige isn’t going to want to control how characters like Colossus, Juggernaut, and Cable are used?

It's popular without the MCU already and it the MCU doesn't need it. My guess is that it stays outside but Deadpool makes jokes within the movie that reference the MCU, just like he does in the comics.

It's not worth the risk. Loads of parents don't pay attention to this kind of thing and it could seriously torpedo the MCU when Little Johnny tells his mom that "Deadpool is the next one in the series after Spider-Man" and all of a sudden kids everywhere are watching Ryan Reynolds in graphic violent/sexual scenes.
There’s not really a risk. The words Marvel already flash right before every Deadpool movie. The kind of oblivious person you’re describing probably doesn’t know a difference between Fox Marvel and Marvel Studios.

CaptainAmerica

It 100% will be made by Marvel Studios.

You also have to understand Deadpool interacts with a lot of other Marvel characters. You think Feige isn’t going to want to control how characters like Colossus, Juggernaut, and Cable are used?

There’s not really a risk. The words Marvel already flash right before every Deadpool movie. The kind of oblivious person you’re describing probably doesn’t know a difference between Fox Marvel and Marvel Studios.
I bet you $500 real-life dollars that Deadpool 3 will not be part of the MCU.

With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about.

Lucky Rabbit

I bet you $500 real-life dollars that Deadpool 3 will not be part of the MCU.

With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about.
I said made by Marvel Studios (you said Feige and co wouldn’t be involved). There will not be two Marvels, even for Deadpool. Feige has previously said MCU movies COULD be R-Rated.

The plan was to make X-Force then maybe a Deadpool 3. I think X-Force could still get made as intended. D3 would probably be more up in the air.

In the end Deadpool will eventually join the MCU. You think there going to allow two sets of characters to exist? Or are you saying Deadpool will be the only Marvel character allowed in his movie?

CaptainAmerica

I said made by Marvel Studios (you said Feige and co wouldn’t be involved). There will not be two Marvels, even for Deadpool. Feige has previously said MCU movies COULD be R-Rated.

The plan was to make X-Force then maybe a Deadpool 3. I think X-Force could still get made as intended. D3 would probably be more up in the air.

In the end Deadpool will eventually join the MCU. You think there going to allow two sets of characters to exist? Or are you saying Deadpool will be the only Marvel character allowed in his movie?
Deadpool the character may one day be in the MCU, but it won't be the Deadpool from the Deadpool and Deadpool 2 continuity.

The same is true of Wolverine and the X-Men. They'll DEFINITELY be in the MCU, but it won't be the same X franchise that Fox created.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Deadpool the character may one day be in the MCU, but it won't be the Deadpool from the Deadpool and Deadpool 2 continuity.

The same is true of Wolverine and the X-Men. They'll DEFINITELY be in the MCU, but it won't be the same X franchise that Fox created.

I think you've nailed it. They (Disney) aren't going to continue what Fox started and will go their own direction and likely will organically bring the franchise(s) into the MCU. I don't know how they'd pull off Deadpool without Ryan Reynolds and not have a revolt on their hands, though. Maybe they won't even try and it's a moot point. He kind of is Deadpool at this point. They have enough of a headache on their hands recasting Wolverine, which is going to be a major undertaking thanks to Hugh Jackman knocking his portrayal of him out of the park.

We just need Lucas Till back as Havok in the MCU and all will be right again. ;) Love him as that character, which was criminally underused.

Lucky Rabbit

I feel like we’re moving the goal post here. The X-Men Singerverse is dead. These are my key points:

- Deadpool will continue to be R Rated in his films. If he cameos in other films he’ll be censored, which could be hilarious.

- Marvel Studios will now be in charge of making Deadpool movies. If they hold off on rebooting him (The Eternals movie in 2020 is the EARLIEST we might even see the concept of Mutants in the MCU), and they make X-Force it will still be Marvel Studios overseeing it.

- There will not be two sets of characters. Deadpool interacts with other Marvel characters. If you wall him off from all things Marvel you’ll kill the franchise.

CaptainAmerica

The X-Men Singerverse is dead.
Deadpool was never part of the Singerverse, that's my point. Even under Fox and even with X-Men appearing in his films, he was never part of the Hugh Jackman continuity.

(Yes, I know they said he was. They lied to appease fanboys. There's no on screen evidence of it whatsoever in the films.)

The X-Men movies are dead, but I don't think Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool is. I think there will still be a Deadpool 3 set in the old universe prior to any MCU reboot.

- Deadpool will continue to be R Rated in his films. If he cameos in other films he’ll be censored, which could be hilarious.
I agree, but through some gimmick of marketing or branding, the solo films won't be MCU mainline continuity. They'll exist somewhere else, like the Ultimate universe from the comics if you're familiar with it.

- Marvel Studios will now be in charge of making Deadpool movies. If they hold off on rebooting him (The Eternals movie in 2020 is the EARLIEST we might even see the concept of Mutants in the MCU), and they make X-Force it will still be Marvel Studios overseeing it.
How do you figure? I could easily see a post-credits scene on Endgame or Black Panther 2 where Wakandan scientists are in a lab studying so-and-so who has unusual DNA.

I could also see a reverse House of M storyline where Wanda goes insane from the loss of Vision and introduces Mutants to the universe with her hex power.

- There will not be two sets of characters. Deadpool interacts with other Marvel characters. If you wall him off from all things Marvel you’ll kill the franchise.
They did it in Fox just fine. Deadpool interacts with Colossus, but it's not the same Colossus from X1.

LukeS7

I don't know how they'd pull off Deadpool without Ryan Reynolds and not have a revolt on their hands, though. Maybe they won't even try and it's a moot point. He kind of is Deadpool at this point.
That's the beauty of this specific character: They don't have to recast or worry about continuity. They can literally have him acknowledge Deadpool 1 & 2 in a joke, much like they've done with the portrayal of the character in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and be done with it.

SirWillow

This. Lets be honest, the Fox version of the Marvel universe has pretty much run it's course. (and storyline wise, so much of it is a convoluted mess anyways). It's interesting that it happens to be at about the same time that many of the contracts for the Disney version of the MCU are running out, and there are strong hints that for many of them Avengers: Endgame may be the end of their roles.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a major reboot/ restart of the whole entire thing within a few years to bring it all together- X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers, etc all as part of one unified MCU. It's possible that may be tied into the current MCU, but because it's likely they'll be working with so many new actors I wouldnt' be surprised to see even a separate MCU with them all together. It's not like that's never happened in the comics (over and over and over again...)

Deadpool will very likely be part of that new MCU, but because of the type of character he is, I totally see him also as a bridge to the old, with references and comments about the changes.

CaptainAmerica

That's the beauty of this specific character: They don't have to recast or worry about continuity. They can literally have him acknowledge Deadpool 1 & 2 in a joke, much like they've done with the portrayal of the character in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and be done with it.
See, and I expect them to do exactly the reverse. They'll acknowledge the MCU in (frequent) jokes.

Crossfire

They did it in Fox just fine. Deadpool interacts with Colossus, but it's not the same Colossus from X1.
Iger already said that there won't be 2 Marvel universes, it doesn't make sense to keep things separated, most likely they will creare a different banner for r rated like Marvel MAX and Marvel Knights like in the comics.

CaptainAmerica

Iger already said that there won't be 2 Marvel universes, it doesn't make sense to keep things separated, most likely they will creare a different banner for r rated like Marvel MAX and Marvel Knights like in the comics.
Big Hero 6 and loads of Disney XD shows produced by Marvel Animation say Iger is full of crap on that one.

Ripken10

@MisterPenguin , I hope you are getting all these inside scoops from CaptainAmerica. This is some good stuff. He told us:

• Deadpool 3 will not be a part of MCU (nor any Deadpool solo films)
  • none of the actors who played the characters from X-Men will be in the marvel movies moving forward
  • a new Deadpool may appear in the marvel universe
  • there will be two sets of some characters in the marvel movies (ie same character in two universes not relating to each other)
  • X-men movies are dead (I don't see you Dark Phoenix)
  • Deadpool was not part of the X-Men Universe (despite visiting Xavier Institute)
  • Disney will have two Marvel Universes moving forward

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom