Do you think we could see 1 day ticket prices at $200 bucks before long?

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
It wont change a thing. People will go no matter what and that includes extend their credit to get their "fix" You're not looking at this from the perspective of an addict.

lol, or they make choices about what's important to them. now maybe the people you know are living on credit but not everyone who does Disney is. My coworker is also a guitarist, he gives lessons twice a week on the side, he calls that his Disney slush fund. pretty easy, 2 hours after work on Tuesday and Thursday, 3 middle school kids learn chords. Many people actually know how to budget, we have a line item in our budget for vacations, every month just like a bill they drop a % of their income to vacations. vacation are important to them just like retirement fund and emergency fund.

My boss, great salary, drives a beat up 10 year old ford pickup, people tease her here because she's pretty far up the chain, she's pretty vocal about what she likes to do. Disney, her family goes down every year 10 days, stays at the Poly. cash, she doesn't need a new car nor a big house. they like to travel

Me, nope don't extend my credit but use my credit cards for absolutely everything. mortgage, utilities everything. AA and southwest visa, got enough points this year to pay for my r/t ticket to Greece and then I'll start racking up the points to earn 3 r/t tickets from Philly to Orlando next August. that's a savings of easy grand. so now that's lodging and transportation that pretty much will cost me nothing.

I think if you let go of the assumptions you'd be surprised at how people work in their "fixes"

Patcheslee

Even before the increase DD10 wanted to spend a day at Epcot during our Uni vacation, but add in the parking fee, transportation cost we told her no. I personally don't feel the 1 day cost is worth the value for us.

Trackmaster

End of August is one of the very few periods where the parks can seem light especially if you go before food and wine. It's a transition time where the kids are going back to school, the fall decor isn't up, the Halloween parties aren't going, and it's super hot. Most people who can go at that time would rather wait till September when other festivities have started

Yeah, you'd have to be pretty irresponsible parents to just not have your kids show up for the first week of school just to go on a theme park trip. I think that there are pretty serious consequences for missing the first week of school.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
It’s already comparable when I’ve priced out vacations to Mexico and Canada vs. a week at Disney. Even some of the overseas countries have airfare deals. That said, there’s really no place on earth like WDW.
Heck, I can drive to Canada in a third of the time it takes to get to WDW, and get all the real poutine, beer-and-cheese soup and apple icewine I want.

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Yeah, you'd have to be pretty irresponsible parents to just not have your kids show up for the first week of school just to go on a theme park trip. I think that there are pretty serious consequences for missing the first week of school.
Depends on the state/school district you live in. But that's another thread... or ten...

In general the Northern East coast schools tend to start after Labor day. We generally see a lot of Pennsylvanians, New Jerseyians and Delawarians when the kids where little. Our first trip we stayed at Fort Wilderness and I swear we ran into half my kids little league team because school started crazy late for some reason that year.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
At some point it's going to be cheaper to just fly and stay at half the real countries in Epcot than it is to go to WDW.

Having been to most of them (Mainland China of course isn't an option for me), I really wouldn't want to again for various issues in each. A touch of them fits my wife and me nicely.

jloucks

lol, or they make choices about what's important to them. now maybe the people you know are living on credit but not everyone who does Disney is. My coworker is also a guitarist, he gives lessons twice a week on the side, he calls that his Disney slush fund. pretty easy, 2 hours after work on Tuesday and Thursday, 3 middle school kids learn chords. Many people actually know how to budget, we have a line item in our budget for vacations, every month just like a bill they drop a % of their income to vacations. vacation are important to them just like retirement fund and emergency fund.

My boss, great salary, drives a beat up 10 year old ford pickup, people tease her here because she's pretty far up the chain, she's pretty vocal about what she likes to do. Disney, her family goes down every year 10 days, stays at the Poly. cash, she doesn't need a new car nor a big house. they like to travel

Me, nope don't extend my credit but use my credit cards for absolutely everything. mortgage, utilities everything. AA and southwest visa, got enough points this year to pay for my r/t ticket to Greece and then I'll start racking up the points to earn 3 r/t tickets from Philly to Orlando next August. that's a savings of easy grand. so now that's lodging and transportation that pretty much will cost me nothing.

I think if you let go of the assumptions you'd be surprised at how people work in their "fixes"

I catch a lot of flack about being openly in favor of higher ticket prices in exchange for lower crowds. People say they can no longer afford to go. Pfft. Even at $200 a day you can figure out a way to go a few days a year. Cut out fast food or cigarettes or beer or bowling night or etc for a month and your golden.

Sure $200 is a lot. ...but not like it used to be. I just spent $600 on tires for a ford focus. A Focus! 3 days at WDW are attached to the bottom of my wifes car. :p

Last edited:

jloucks

It’s a false premise. Higher ticket prices do not equal lower crowds. Higher ticket prices just equal higher profits for TWDC.
Oh no, I am quite certain, at some point, people will be priced out of the market.

We have seen it with special event pricing. The crowd levels are definitely more tolerable. Unfortunately, those times are limited.

And yes, you are correct, this also means higher profits for WDW.

jloucks

Really? What are you referring to?

The Not So Scary Halloween party and the Merry Christmas party. They were more $$$, but worth every penny with the decreased crowd sizes. Sadly, they were for a very short time period. Not enough of a break to mitigate the nightmare crowds the rest of the time.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The Not So Scary Halloween party and the Merry Christmas party. They were more $$$, but worth every penny with the decreased crowd sizes. Sadly, they were for a very short time period. Not enough of a break to mitigate the nightmare crowds the rest of the time.
Oh ok. Your premise is extremely flawed.

Those parties aren’t less crowded because of the cost of attending. Those parties are (slightly) less crowded because they have a cap on the amount of tickets sold.

Now, those parties used to be even less crowded bc the cap was lower. However, greed got the best of Disney, and now the parties are far more crowded. Meanwhile they continue to sell out, proving my point that cost has no effect on crowds.

jloucks

Oh ok. Your premise is extremely flawed.

Those parties aren’t less crowded because of the cost of attending. Those parties are (slightly) less crowded because they have a cap on the amount of tickets sold.

Now, those parties used to be even less crowded bc the cap was lower. However, greed got the best of Disney, and now the parties are far more crowded. Meanwhile they continue to sell out, proving my point that cost has no effect on crowds.

No, I am still correct because you know that WDW has those tickets priced just perfectly to sell out about the same time as demand is exhausted. Why wouldn't they. They are not a charity. You are telling me they under price and cap on purpose to decrease crowds? If true, you are right. But, yikes, that seem atypical of Disney.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
No, I am still correct because you know that WDW has those tickets priced just perfectly to sell out about the same time as demand is exhausted. Why wouldn't they. They are not a charity. You are telling me they under price and cap on purpose to decrease crowds? If true, you are right. But, yikes, that seem atypical of Disney.
I gotta tell ya, I’m really having trouble following your line of thought. I’m gonna tap out here. Enjoy your day.

Trackmaster

OK guys, let me settle this. It doesn't matter what you price single day tickets at -- you could make them $900 a ticket. Doesn't matter. Almost everybody is there on a multi-day ticket, AP, courtesy ticket from a CM, comp pass because Disney screwed up on something, or something else like that (although true discounts where you don't have to sit through a timeshare presentation are hard to come by at Disney). In fact, I have read on this board that the percentage is quantifier -- less than 8% of guests on a given day are there on a single day ticket.

So you guys are splitting hairs by talking about single day prices without mentioning AP prices and multi-day prices. And the reason for the dirt cheap APs is political -- it has nothing to do with their profit motives. So the best leverage that they have for making money off of gate revenue will really be what they do with multi-day tickets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom