So why weren't there many strollers back in the day?

jaklgreen

I have never had an issue with stroller for little kids, and I have never been rammed by one either. But I am very aware of my surroundings and have several times avoided a collision. It is understandable for those under 5-6 years old to need to be in for, especially for longer trips. It is IMHO kind of ridiculous for older healthy kids to be in one, no matter how much walking you do. When we were that age, we easily outpaced and out lasted our parents. They were the ones who's feet hurt and who needed more breaks. If kids are struggling, then they probably need more exercise in their day to day life.

JennSmith

17 pages and I'm just now joining the party. Forgive me if this has been mentioned already...
Could it be lack of stamina now? Years ago kids started physically playing as soon as they could move. Now more and more kids are allowed to play with electronics at a really young age. Which means they may get worn out and tired sooner than we ever did. I dunno...just a thought...

Goofyernmost

17 pages and I'm just now joining the party. Forgive me if this has been mentioned already...
Could it be lack of stamina now? Years ago kids started physically playing as soon as they could move. Now more and more kids are allowed to play with electronics at a really young age. Which means they may get worn out and tired sooner than we ever did. I dunno...just a thought...
Maybe, but, I doubt it. Kids have their own sense of reality. Their body parts are literally brand new. Some fatigue might come from spending all their free time playing video games, but, youth is wasted on the young.
this goes back at least 35 years, when my kids were small, but, computers and games were a rarity, they spent their time outdoors riding bikes, playing on swing sets, hide and seek, tag, etc. We first went when my youngest was almost 7 and my oldest had just turned 9. Even though they loved the place, by around 4pm they would start to whine about how tired they were, and that their feet and legs hurt and how they just couldn't go any further. So, my wife and I, who BTW, were really having pain and ache issues would decide to take them back to the hotel for a rest break.

The second, and I do mean the second, we got back to the hotel all of a sudden they had the magical burst of energy and physical capability to whine until we agreed to let them use the pool. When we said OK, it was like a flash of lightning. They were into their bathing suits and at the pool before you could blink twice and would stay massively mobile for hours. Tired? My left elbow!!

Recently, I had the occasion to ask my girls about this. They are currently in their 40's. I asked about how they would have felt if we had gotten strollers for them. They looked at me like I had two heads and said... "We weren't babies". Why would we want to be in a stroller. Hey, I just asked, you will notice you weren't in one, in fact, it never even occurred to us that you should be. Different times, different ways of thinking.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Maybe, but, I doubt it. Kids have their own sense of reality. Their body parts are literally brand new. Some fatigue might come from spending all their free time playing video games, but, youth is wasted on the young. If you, and this goes back at least 35 years, when my kids were small, but, computers and games were a rarity, they spent there time outdoors riding bikes, playing on swing sets, hide and seek, tag, etc. We first went when my youngest was almost 7 and my oldest had just turned 9. Even though they loved the place, by around 4pm they would start to whine about how tired they were, and that their feet and legs hurt and how they just couldn't go any further. So, my wife and I, who BTW, were really having pain and ache issues would decide to take them back to the hotel for a rest break.

The second, and I do mean the second, we got back to the hotel all of a sudden they had the magical burst of energy and physical capability to whine until we agreed to let them use the pool. When we said OK, it was like a flash of lightning. They were into their bathing suits and at the pool before you could blink twice and would stay massively mobile for hours. Tired? My left elbow!!

Recently, I had the occasion to ask my girls about this. They are currently in their 40's. I asked about how they would have felt if we had gotten strollers for them. They looked at me like I had two heads and said... "We weren't babies". Why would we want to be in a stroller. Hey, I just asked, you will notice you weren't in one, in fact, it never even occurred to us that you should be. Different times, different ways of thinking.

And this pretty much sums it up. Kids are made to have more energy and stamina just by design. The need for a stroller when they are older has nothing to do with how they are built and everything to do with what the parents decide to do for their special snowflake. Parents also need to be realistic and not try to act as if they don't have kids now. You can not tour like you do as 2 adults when you have kids. I know some might WANT to go rope drop to close, but the vacation is meant to be fun for the whole family and how fun is it for the kids if they are just being dragged around. We have been going to WDW for over 20 years. We went a few years before we had kids and then started taking them when they were 1&2 and yearly after that. Every single trip we toured differently, depending on the needs of everyone at that time. When they were really little we stayed mostly in Fantasyland and did not do any big rides and took many breaks. Then as they aged we grew into more and more rides and longer days. Now that they are almost adults, they leave me on People Mover and go and ride BTMRR over and over. LOL And every single one of our vacations was amazing with no meltdowns.

MrHappy

If "back in the day" refers to when the Magic Kingdom first opened, and maybe EPCOT's opening. I would say the reason was because these were "day" parks, with lots of local guests. Strollers weren't as needed with the exception of very young children. The 'World wasn't the (magical) boot camp it is today.

Goofyernmost

If "back in the day" refers to when the Magic Kingdom first opened, and maybe EPCOT's opening. I would say the reason was because these were "day" parks, with lots of local guests. Strollers weren't as needed with the exception of very young children. The 'World wasn't the (magical) boot camp it is today.
Well, WDW was smaller, but, a day or two in MK was still a lot of walking, perhaps not the first day, but subsequent days did tend to get serious. However, that isn't the reason. The reason is that it was a different culture during that time. People didn't bring small children, especially ones that were to small to go on the rides or even have a clue where they were. But, the lights were pretty. Also, as parents we had limits on how to progressively get our children to become independent and that involved having them flex a couple of muscles now and then. On top of that if people had children with problems, for better or worse, they didn't go to places where it was hard enough to take proper care of healthy children and not really the place to be if you had any challenges more extreme then your basic whining. Whether that was good or bad is up for discussion, but, that is the way it was back then, so quite frankly you didn't see a lot of strollers because very few people had a need for one. WDW was probably a little more local in the beginning, but, when I went 12 years after it opened, the situation was the same and all I saw in the parking lot were out of state plates.

celluloid

Just the fact that so many airlines have strollers flying for free as well as being more compact, affordable and rentable make a huge difference when millions of more people are visiting a year than compared to then.

MattFrees71

In my humble opinion, I wouldn't take kids who are too young to comfortably walk. That's how my parents did it with me and my siblings- with my first visit at 5 years old. They just recognized it wasn't worth all the strollers/diapers and the fact that we wouldn't appreciate it as fully. I have been amazed at the number of infants I've seen at WDW in the parks lately. I've been watching vintage film (90's and before) of WDW on Youtube, and one thing I have noticed and many people in the comments point out is the lack of strollers and the subsequently less congested pathways- I do wish it was still like that.

bryanfze55

In my humble opinion, I wouldn't take kids who are too young to comfortably walk. That's how my parents did it with me and my siblings- with my first visit at 5 years old. They just recognized it wasn't worth all the strollers/diapers and the fact that we wouldn't appreciate it as fully. I have been amazed at the number of infants I've seen at WDW in the parks lately. I've been watching vintage film (90's and before) of WDW on Youtube, and one thing I have noticed and many people in the comments point out is the lack of strollers and the subsequently less congested pathways- I do wish it was still like that.

My wife and I just recently took an infant to WDW. Why? Because my other daughter is five and enjoys going. And I enjoy taking her. And we have fun as a family. What exactly is wrong with a family just going to WDW to have a good time rather than waiting for that arbitrary moment that a child will suddenly “appreciate” or “remember” it? Whether my daughter appreciates it or remembers it when she’s 30 years old is irrelevant. We go to have fun. WDW is for families. And at this point, that includes an infant.

All that being said, we try to be very respectful when using a stroller. I was recently rammed in the back by another parent pushing a stroller. Rather than apologizing, she seemed to be annoyed with me. Go figure. I don’t think strollers are the issue. I think a lack of common courtesy among adults is the issue.

Paper straw fan

I got some heat for suggesting parents wait until kids are old enough to enjoy it, that the Facebook pictures people post of their 3 year old smiling in front of the castle is often times misleading, and that what other moms in their social circle don’t see is the other 9 hours of crying, crying, and crying, plus like you said jamming an entire CVS stores worth of supplies in the stroller.

When I say “appreciate” it, I’m not saying that the kid will, at the end of the day, say “thank you parent, I shall treasure today’s experience for several years- well done!” I just mean ‘will be able to ride some rides, see characters without screaming, and be capable of making it thru a day there without multiple meltdowns’. In my mind it just appears like some families are jumping the gun a bit, and I can see the regret on their faces at the end of the day at the parks. I’m guessing those memories fade, they see the picture of little Xrayden smiling on their Facebook feed’s “remember this from 9 months ago?” Feature and then forget most of the rest and book a trip again...

My sister and her husband would stay at a WDW resort, but just use the pools and resort activities, D Springs and things like mini golf until her 2 we’re both old enough to make park tickets/passes worthwhile.

Everyone’s different, but I agree w the ‘appreciate’ line of thought. If there’s a child not ready to handle it, you’re all going to have only as good a time as that child is having.

zurgandfriend

My 2 cents, many moons ago my DW and I spent our honey moon at WDW. Just about every server in every restaurant, many cast members and other guests told us the same thing. If you have children don't bring them until they are 6 or 7. We waited, other may not have.
When we were preparing for our first trip with our DS we also followed the advice of Samantha Brown as seen on a vacation video. In the afternoon, go back to your resort, rest, relax by the pool and recharge then you can go back out in the evening. We followed both pieces of advice and were glad we did.

Club Cooloholic

I don't want it to be a big argument as there are people on either side of the debate who are strong willed about it. But we'll stick with strollers because in my opinion a lot of the debate about scooters is that we've gotten fatter and lazier over time and it has become normal (yes there are genuinely handicapped people who need it today and in 1971 of course). But let's keep it to strollers.

Old pictures pop up and just like today there were kids at WDW. I went in 1991 but was old enough to be out of a stroller (I was 10). I know full well there were kids when I went too. Families and such were all around us. But looking at old pictures not only is the park less busy, there are clearly tons of less strollers. So what do you think changed? To me it is kids being as lazy and obese as they have ever been and parents being as lenient as they've ever been. Which is a bad combo. We went in November 2017. My kids were 6, 3, 18 months. The only one who was in the stroller was the 18 month old. Our three year old is pretty light and at the end of the night she just slept in my arms for the final hour (even through Haunted Mansion). So if we didn't have our 18 month old there would be no stroller at all for us. Our kids can walk just fine. Plus it is a nuisance parking it and un-buckling a toddler over and over.

We probably are going in October of this year. This means my kids will be 7, 4 and 2 and a half years old. Chances are I am going to go without the stroller (there are other family members who will likely stay back at the resort and gladly take the youngest for the day). Even with her though, I am thinking of going without it. It likely won't be needed. She'll be bigger by then, that's 7 months. It was such a pain in the neck getting the stroller collapsed and up into the tram taking us back to our car.

Anyway, that is my take, so what is your take? Without getting into a battle with each other, what is the main cause for the spike in strollers in the parks? Is it just more families, lazier kids, enabling parents, a younger crowd than years gone by?
Here are a few theories.
One, they make strollers lighter and more portable now. A Citi mini can fold up pretty easily, and a double is designed to fit through a normal doorway.
A second thought is airport related. There is a lot of waiting and standing at the airport, security can take a half hour now. On an early morning it is nice to be able to let the kiddos sit in the stroller

bryanfze55

I got some heat for suggesting parents wait until kids are old enough to enjoy it, that the Facebook pictures people post of their 3 year old smiling in front of the castle is often times misleading, and that what other moms in their social circle don’t see is the other 9 hours of crying, crying, and crying, plus like you said jamming an entire CVS stores worth of supplies in the stroller.

When I say “appreciate” it, I’m not saying that the kid will, at the end of the day, say “thank you parent, I shall treasure today’s experience for several years- well done!” I just mean ‘will be able to ride some rides, see characters without screaming, and be capable of making it thru a day there without multiple meltdowns’. In my mind it just appears like some families are jumping the gun a bit, and I can see the regret on their faces at the end of the day at the parks. I’m guessing those memories fade, they see the picture of little Xrayden smiling on their Facebook feed’s “remember this from 9 months ago?” Feature and then forget most of the rest and book a trip again...

My sister and her husband would stay at a WDW resort, but just use the pools and resort activities, D Springs and things like mini golf until her 2 we’re both old enough to make park tickets/passes worthwhile.

Everyone’s different, but I agree w the ‘appreciate’ line of thought. If there’s a child not ready to handle it, you’re all going to have only as good a time as that child is having.

I think the appropriate age for the bolded description is probably 4 though YMMV. At age 4, my kid was doing 10-12 hour days at the park without any breakdowns. Honestly, if character meets are a priority, ages 4-5 are an ideal time to go. That is also an age where most kids have reached 40’ and thus can do most rides. Perhaps I’m just biased since I first took my daughter to Disney when she was 4 and she had a wonderful time with no issues... maybe other parents aren’t so lucky? Now, I can see how taking a 2 or 3 year old may be counterproductive. At the same time, waiting until your kid is almost a tween to go is just silly. There’s something to be said for going when your kid is still young enough to “believe in the magic,” so to speak.

WDWFan2018

My wife and I just recently took an infant to WDW. Why? Because my other daughter is five and enjoys going. And I enjoy taking her. And we have fun as a family. What exactly is wrong with a family just going to WDW to have a good time rather than waiting for that arbitrary moment that a child will suddenly “appreciate” or “remember” it? Whether my daughter appreciates it or remembers it when she’s 30 years old is irrelevant. We go to have fun. WDW is for families. And at this point, that includes an infant.

All that being said, we try to be very respectful when using a stroller. I was recently rammed in the back by another parent pushing a stroller. Rather than apologizing, she seemed to be annoyed with me. Go figure. I don’t think strollers are the issue. I think a lack of common courtesy among adults is the issue.

YES, this exactly!! We waited until my oldest was 5 because we thought he would enjoy it at that age. Why should my 5 year old miss out on a great experience because he has a 2 year old sibling who probably won't remember it and will also require a stroller?

Patcheslee

Kids are too protected now. Alot of parents won't let them outside on their own so these kids become like domesticated pets that don't know how to fend for themselves in the wild. As a result they stay inside watching TV, playing video games and hanging on the internet.

Back in the day even young young kids were outside playing everywhere and walking around Disneyland. If they became tired then the parent would pick them up. No stroller necessary.
It's more an issue of safety for kids now. We bought a home in a safe neighborhood that has turned into a registered abuser half a block from us, 2 doors down a known drug dealer who has been arrested multiple times, and a road that now has the stop sign removed so ppl go over 35 when the road isn't large enough for 2 vehicles to pass by. All this has happened in 4 years. It means no my 10yo can't play out front or go riding around the block without an adult. The park 2 blocks away has already had two attempted kidnappings. Back yard is fenced in so she has free reign to come and go out there. But I still have to check the fence line because needles have been thrown over our fence, and she knows to come get us and not touch any she finds. This is actually one of the "better neighborhoods" in town.

zurgandfriend

And get up 4 hours before we went to bed
Then our parents would kill us and jump on our bodies while singing... It's been awhile so I don't remember it all but it's good to meet another python fan.
I go to Canada a few times a year and when I do and see a mountie, no matter what uniform they are wearing, I start singing I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK.

Incomudro

This is the way we did it with our son's, who are twins.
My wife and I took them to WDW when they were six, precisely because we wanted them to have adequate walking endurance as well as the ability to understand things at a higher than toddler level of appreciation.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom