35th Anniversary Tokyo Trip

donsullivan

Premium Member
I looked at both hotels, but went with the Sheraton because it was much less than the Hilton for the dates I wanted. Got a rate of about $150USD + tax through Expedia and I'm quite happy with that.

It's still a year away, but I'm excited to know when I'm going and where I'm staying. After all these years, I'm finally going to TDR!

You will not regret your choice on the Sheraton. However, unless you chose a non-refundable room reservation I would encourage you to watch for specials from both of those hotels The Hilton for example, regularly runs really amazing specials on rooms and I'm sure the Sheraton does the same. You have a lot of time for sales to save you even more money on the same accommodation before you actually go.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
The rate I booked (same on Starwood's site) was the flexible option. I have until a week before I go to cancel. The non-refundable pay-all-at-once rate was $20 less a night, but I don't want that all on my CC just yet.

My vacation dates aren't very flexible, and it's about what I expected to pay for that hotel, so unless something substantially better comes along I'l probably stick to what I have. However, I'll keep an eye out for any deals if they pop up.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
How much should my daily budget for food and incidentals be? I normally do $100/day for the US parks (not that I spend that much, it's just to cover what I might). Would the equivalent in TDR be enough?

BrianLo

How much should my daily budget for food and incidentals be? I normally do $100/day for the US parks (not that I spend that much, it's just to cover what I might). Would the equivalent in TDR be enough?

I think you'll find things are generally running 20-30% cheaper than the US parks. Perhaps 100 CAD if anything.

Anticipate that you'll walk away with less merch than normal too.

GiveMeTheMusic

That's more than enough, provided you aren't doing a lot of table service. You should definitely eat a meal at Magellan's at some point if you haven't before, but there aren't any other must-do table service options in the parks IMO.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Would like to visit the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge, but is the SS Columbia Dining Room worth trying?

Also, do any restaurants in the parks have a dress code?

GiveMeTheMusic

Would like to visit the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge, but is the SS Columbia Dining Room worth trying?

Also, do any restaurants in the parks have a dress code?

IMO the Columbia Dining Room is not worth trying. It doesn't even begin to compare to Magellan's. Of course, the Roosevelt Lounge is delightful.

Also, can you buy a multi-day monorail pass at the station, or do you have to line up and pay every day?

The automated ticket machines at the monorail stations will let you purchase multi-day passes easily.

PiratesMansion

Another random question, how late can you enter the queue lines for attractions? Is it 1 minute before closing like at the American and French parks?

It's been years since I've been, but I believe that it depends on the length of the line. You'd probably be able to get in line for an attraction right before close if there's no one in line, but if there's a two hour line for Journey at 8 and they close at 10, they will cut the line at 8. They have to get guests and cast out of there so everyone can get home before the subways shut down at midnight. That's why they almost never close later than 10.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I just saw that sales tax in Japan is rising from 8% to 10% soon.

Is the tax of a given product included in the sales price in Japan (like France and the UK) or is it on top of that (like USA & Canada)?

EDIT: the tax increase does not go into effect until October 2019

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

Not as early as you might think. The parades are extremely popular, but there are a few things that will work in your favor. The first is that most parade viewing is sitting room only (and they are very strict about this); the second is that you will probably be taller than most of the Japanese.

Because of this, we were able to get decent spots of the parades not that long before they started. No need to bring out the parade mats unless you have a specific spot in mind or want to live like a local.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Just got back. Amazing trip. I have many things to say, but I have no idea where to start.

I can't decide which park I like better, but I think TDL has now topped DLP for my favourite Magic Kingdom. True, DLP looks better, but TDL has the better attraction mix, entertainment and QS food options.

DisneySea is Disney's best second gate. Nothing else compares. Just beautiful to walk around day or night.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I thought Journey to the Center of the Earth was too short. The dark ride portion was great, then you speed out of the volcano and it's over. I guess I was thinking it would be like Radiator Springs which has a longer outdoor race. Still a great ride, but even with a FP it took awhile to get on because of the wait for the elevators.

20,000 Leagues left a bigger impression on me, partially for my own personal wish to have the ride back in WDW. I'd be fine if they tore out Mermaid and replaced it with this in MK.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
My top 10 theme park rides post trip [in no order]:

Indiana Jones Adventure (DisneySea)
Sindbad's Storybook Voyage
The American Adventure
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (Disneyland Paris)
The Haunted Mansion (Tokyo Disneyland)*
Tower of Terror (DHS or DisneySea...tough to decide)
The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
Splash Mountain (Tokyo Disneyland)
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
Pirates of the Caribbean (Paris or Tokyo, but I have not been on the Paris version since the changes)

And they're almost all in Tokyo/USJ!

*Phantom Manor maybe once it reopens

BrianLo

I can't decide which park I like better, but I think TDL has now topped DLP for my favourite Magic Kingdom. True, DLP looks better, but TDL has the better attraction mix, entertainment and QS food options.

Interesting. I don't think I've really ever seen someone identify TDL as their favourite castle park. Usually it's not the second (or even third) one most people go to and I find with it usually plays off as a best-of knock off.

You don't seem like much of a Disneyland fan?

I thought Journey to the Center of the Earth was too short. The dark ride portion was great, then you speed out of the volcano and it's over. I guess I was thinking it would be like Radiator Springs which has a longer outdoor race. Still a great ride, but even with a FP it took awhile to get on because of the wait for the elevators.

Indeed, I don't think we sufficiently warn people enough about its length. I realize it pulls the classic 'diverted' storyline, but the queue demonstrates a few more show scenes you are expecting (crystal caverns being the one I recall). Unlike Sindbad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom