Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

BrianLo

But, again: Bantha's are huge. Literally elephant sized huge. And slow. How would that even fit in the land? How would that have a PPH that got over 400 PPH? We're talking something similar to a horse-drawn Main Street carriage ride as a feasible third ride for a land.

I understand the theme and concept, but how could it even be remotely feasible in practice? It just seems like the kind of impractical pie-in-the-sky ideas that pop up with armchair imagineers.

This is why it was cut. The Horse-drawn analogy is great.

It's not feasible or smart to add a low capacity A-ticket for the sake of a third attraction. Albeit maybe it would have had added show scenes.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is why it was cut. The Horse-drawn analogy is great.

It's not feasible or smart to add a low capacity A-ticket for the sake of a third attraction. Albeit maybe it would have had added show scenes.
There is no indication it would be low capacity. Again the impression I got is it would be more PM then Main St vehicle. So was PM low capacity? Its not like there would have been only one Bantha for the entire land so no reason to think it would be low capacity like Main St vehicles.....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There is no indication it would be low capacity. Again the impression I got is it would be more PM then Main St vehicle. So was PM low capacity? Its not like there would have been only one Bantha for the entire land so no reason to think it would be low capacity like Main St vehicles.....

PM?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If it's a People Mover, then where would it go? You can't have people crossing the tracks of the ride, so, would this be elevated? An elephant-sized thing pulling a cart of people along what? Rooftops? Through the sides of mountains? Is this a dark ride? Through what? Caverns... with an elephant?

Still see zero feasibility.

mickEblu

If it's a People Mover, then where would it go? You can't have people crossing the tracks of the ride, so, would this be elevated? An elephant-sized thing pulling a cart of people along what? Rooftops? Through the sides of mountains? Is this a dark ride? Through what? Caverns... with an elephant?

A mountain bank

Think Jungle book Live action scene with the wildebeasts(?)

If their is a will, their is a way.

and you re right everything else in the Star Wars universe is so damn realistic. Lol.

mickEblu

Thank you! I knew I wasn't crazy lol. And I looked at their menu, yeah its all still there. A bit cheaper because its not a buffet obviously.

Same exact menu? If so, same exact flavor too? I’d love to hear from someone who has tried both. I haven’t LOVED anything at River Belle. The ribs were ok. Didn’t like the brisket sandwich very much. The chicken was also just ok.

Well maybe I didn’t miss out on Big Thunder BBQ after all.

fctiger

Did anyone actually go to Disneyland to pet goats? I mean it was cute, I guess, but I always assumed Big Thunder Ranch was just meant to be filler until something more unique to Disneyland was greenlit, like SWGE.

I mean it was a nice distraction. I don't think I went back there every visit but if we had a little time to kill it was nice to watch them. But I don't remotely care they are gone because we are getting STAR WARS out of it! And I agree it was something to put there as filler so I don't think most cared. If you want to pet goats, then just go to a real petting zoo.

fctiger

Same exact menu? If so, same exact flavor too? I’d love to hear from someone who has tried both. I haven’t LOVED anything at River Belle. The ribs were ok. Didn’t like the brisket sandwich very much. The chicken was also just ok.

No clue, only ate there once and that was before they moved it to the menu. But it sounds like the same items that were at the ranch at least.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Peoplemover

Now these were all rumors from years ago now. But if I recall correctly it was suppose to be a raised track around an external berm of SW:GE giving an aerial view of the land from a elevated vantage point. Again similar to the Peoplemover of TL. I don't remember there being much details beyond that.

Obviously you can't envision any but an elephant. Again think a creature about the size of a Peoplemover car pulling another Peoplemover car. They made the speedtunnel big enough to fit a Peoplemover car. So I don't know why there couldn't have been a cavern of sorts that a Banta plus guest could go through.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

I would vote for having the full river back over SWGE. But that’s because I love rivers & riverboats, and couldn’t care less about any SW films released after 1977.

This is a somewhat unpopular opinion I completely agree with. There was something secluded, peaceful about the old river that the new iteration doesn't have.

I'd take the old river + some additional rockwork (like a new Cascade Peak) over the new one any day.

That said, of the changes Disney's made to the parks over the last 5 years, that's hardly the most egregious one and isn't one I'm grabbing the pitchfork over.

socalifornian

The ribs and chicken made the cut, haven’t had them at River Belle tho. Those sandwiches didn’t exist. It also sucks that a plate of ribs costs $27 when all you can eat was $24.99 during lunch or $30.99 for dinner. I’m sure those prices would be up a few dollars by now if it existed still, but even then it’s a better deal than what we have these days
751B9B70-0C92-4D94-950E-F2158FEC9A42.jpeg

Rich T

... There was something secluded, peaceful about the old river that the new iteration doesn't have.
Exactly. You could hop on the riverboat or head for the far corner of TSI and relax away from the crowds. The illusion of being miles away into the wilderness was fantastic, and it gave DL more variety and depth. It’s hard for newer fans to believe, but a day at DL didn’t used to mean you’d be stuck in crowds all day everywhere you go. The park used to have many places to go to just relax and breath. :) Walt and the designers recognized this was an important part of the big picture. Today’s management just thinks “Quiet space = No cash registers ringing.”

But, as you said, I’m raising no pitchforks here. If they had to shoehorn a freaking space opera behind the river, they did it as cleverly as they could. Times change. If anything eventually kills DL, it’ll be the pricing, not SW.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Then it's not a Bantha.

You lack imagination. Who says it has to be the same full sized Bantha that you saw in the OT? There are different sized horses (and elephants) so why couldn't there have been a smaller sized Bantha found on Batuu? Maybe Batuu is known for breeding miniature Banthas.

Point is if they had moved forward with it they would have found a way to make it work within the larger context of the land.

mickEblu

Chicken and ribs cooked on a BBQ as opposed to slow cooked in an oven are apples and oranges. Just because the River Belle serves chicken and ribs doesn't mean they are cooked, seasoned, or served anywhere close to the same way or with the same flavors.

That’s what I was assuming. That they the not cooking them on a bbq anymore.

Then let’s forget the flavor bonus points for setting and the all you can eat.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom