New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

JT3000

Seeing, and specifically looking for, a show building isn’t going to ruin the majority of guests’ experience. The lines at Soarin’ are still very long after 15 years. There comes a point where you just need to enjoy your day.

Because Universal would go bankrupt if they put some brick work on this building.

lazyboy97o

The drop building bring bare and visible is unfortunately par the course for Universal where they will completely drop the ball on something despite so much effort around it. Just like Diagonal Alley where huge efforts we made to ensure every view inside the land was appropriate but entering the land’s signature ride can mean being immediately dumped out back.

Tom Morrow

Seeing, and specifically looking for, a show building isn’t going to ruin the majority of guests’ experience. The lines at Soarin’ are still very long after 15 years. There comes a point where you just need to enjoy your day.
There’s a bit of a difference between a backstage building being visible from literally across a huge park and an unthemed building right in the middle of the actual ride track area that is also a literal part of that ride. Especially a ride that’s supposed to be completely physically immersive like this to make up for their mediocre last few efforts.

Predictably you also jumped again to the “but Disney!!!” defense. Because full immersion is only something Disney fanboys care about or whatever. Yet, JAWS didn’t have anything unthemed visible while on the ride. Universal also raised the bar with Hogsmeade and again with Diagon Alley. Why not always go 100% like that instead of their predicable 75%?

Animaniac93-98

The drop building bring bare and visible is unfortunately par the course for Universal where they will completely drop the ball on something despite so much effort around it. Just like Diagonal Alley where huge efforts we made to ensure every view inside the land was appropriate but entering the land’s signature ride can mean being immediately dumped out back.

Even in Japan, this is a problem.

Another perfect example would be the Jimmy Fallon facade that covers 70% of the sound stage building, but then leaves that random side unfinished:

JoeCamel

Even in Japan, this is a problem.

Another perfect example would be the Jimmy Fallon facade that covers 70% of the sound stage building, but then leaves that random side unfinished:

View attachment 355871
Ok, I'll make the excuse. It is a soundstage in a movie lot. Same as DHS and MK where buildings are perfectly visible behind the facades. Part of theme parks, they are not real

raven

There’s a bit of a difference between a backstage building being visible from literally across a huge park and an unthemed building right in the middle of the actual ride track area that is also a literal part of that ride. Especially a ride that’s supposed to be completely physically immersive like this to make up for their mediocre last few efforts.

Predictably you also jumped again to the “but Disney!!!” defense. Because full immersion is only something Disney fanboys care about or whatever. Yet, JAWS didn’t have anything unthemed visible while on the ride. Universal also raised the bar with Hogsmeade and again with Diagon Alley. Why not always go 100% like that instead of their predicable 75%?
Well I guess there’s only one way to solve these sight problem issues for the people that are so disgusted by them: Don’t go.

ToTBellHop

They aren't done with the drop building. It will have a forest mural painted on it with real trees in front of it.

Fallon looks that way because it is "Rockafeller Center" which is a skyscraper that is taller than it is wide. If they had covered the entire soundstage it would have looked like a short squat office building.
You don’t seem to have been to Rockefeller Center in real life. It is a large number of buildings taking up a city block. Faux windows should have been on order.

JT3000

If you guys want to get all cranky over sight lines, one thing has annoyed me at Universal. When you go from tropical to Harry Potter snow-covered roofs. I can live with it but it is very abrupt. I know you are going into a different land but it just hits me as strange. Can anything really be done about that? No. For that matter what are fake snow roofs doing in Orlando FL?

Everywhere in the world I have gone, there is always a random warehouse somewhere. Pretty much everywhere and they don't get themed. Their them is a warehouse.

I don't find it any more abrupt than other land transitions. At least there's still a sign on that end denoting the entrance/exit of JP. Wish they hadn't torn down the other one for Kong.

There's a fake Antarctica in Orlando, and we're concerned with snow on roofs?

They aren't done with the drop building. It will have a forest mural painted on it with real trees in front of it.

Fallon looks that way because it is "Rockafeller Center" which is a skyscraper that is taller than it is wide. If they had covered the entire soundstage it would have looked like a short squat office building.

Well it certainly doesn't look like a skyscraper. It looks like a soundstage that's been partially clad in theming, because that's what it is.

OG Runner

Especially when the back corner of it is so visible from the Hogwarts Express platform. (screen grab of video courtesy of Midway Mayhem)

View attachment 355798

If that concept art is 100% correct, only the left side of that building will get paint/scrim, making this view even more awkwardly worse... 🤨

-Rob

Maybe they should paint it sky blue. I have heard then, that no one will notice it.

yensidtlaw1969

I so much want to love this ride, so I don't mean to sound negative, but does anyone else have this sinking feeling that it's not quite going to live up to its concept?

The idea of flying around the Forbidden Forest in Hagrid's Motorbike spotting magical creatures feels like total wish-fulfillment, and a great concept for the ride, but realizing that with an outdoor coaster among real planted vegetation seems like a let-down compared to Potter's other signature rides.

Gringotts has some story issues, but it's pretty beautifully realized, and Forbidden Journey feels about as immersive as anything. I can't help but think between the exposed track and reliance on real plants that guests are never going to be able to feel like they're really flying or that they're really in the thick, dense, dark Forbidden Forest. I would think an Indoor Dark Ride would have been the obvious method for realizing such an adventure, where you can simulate the forest, control the lighting, mask-out the ride track, and fill it with creatures that need not stand up to the elements. Maybe a short outdoor section before heading into a large showbuilding if they want the "weenie" of the motorbikes flying over the treetops . . .

This seems to me like the kind of ride that should really come alive at night. I'm super excited to ride it and will likely make a special trip after opening just to give it a whirl, but the more I look at photos the more I find myself trying to manage my own expectations. The idea feels like a total home run, but the execution doesn't yet appear to be on that level.

phillip9698

I so much want to love this ride, so I don't mean to sound negative, but does anyone else have this sinking feeling that it's not quite going to live up to its concept?

The idea of flying around the Forbidden Forest in Hagrid's Motorbike spotting magical creatures feels like total wish-fulfillment, and a great concept for the ride, but realizing that with an outdoor coaster among real planted vegetation seems like a let-down compared to Potter's other signature rides.

Gringotts has some story issues, but it's pretty beautifully realized, and Forbidden Journey feels about as immersive as anything. I can't help but think between the exposed track and reliance on real plants that guests are never going to be able to feel like they're really flying or that they're really in the thick, dense, dark Forbidden Forest. I would think an Indoor Dark Ride would have been the obvious method for realizing such an adventure, where you can simulate the forest, control the lighting, mask-out the ride track, and fill it with creatures that need not stand up to the elements. Maybe a short outdoor section before heading into a large showbuilding if they want the "weenie" of the motorbikes flying over the treetops . . .

This seems to me like the kind of ride that should really come alive at night. I'm super excited to ride it and will likely make a special trip after opening just to give it a whirl, but the more I look at photos the more I find myself trying to manage my own expectations. The idea feels like a total home run, but the execution doesn't yet appear to be on that level.

An indoor dark ride with this amount of track? Are we still talking about a roller coaster or another slow boat ride? Id much rather go whizzing through actual vegetation with real pine scents instead of moving past fiberglass and Disney smell-o-vision.

GLaDOS

Yea, I think this is going to be a personal problem for you. Me? Gimme an outdoor coaster with real vegetation and water and all that.

Tom Morrow

I can excuse the Fallon exterior, it falls right in the middle of where the soundstage theming meets the New York theming, which is also supposed to be movie set facades, so it's a mix of both. Though I can't deny that it would have looked better to completely cover the soundstage, maybe make the other part look like a different building, or something.

However I kind of can't help but question the logic here to not properly theme the drop track building. For a project this big and ambitious in scope, what would adding a brick or rockwork facade add to the budget? Very little, as they would only have to theme the sides you can see. Obviously I completely understand leaving the backstage facing parts untouched.

Ok, I'll make the excuse. It is a soundstage in a movie lot. Same as DHS and MK where buildings are perfectly visible behind the facades. Part of theme parks, they are not real
Not trying to be annoying here, but I legitimately can't think of anywhere in MK where an unthemed show building is blatantly visible. Haunted Mansion's is.... IF you know where to peer through the trees at certain angles to see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom