Experiencing an attraction for the first time

The Mighty Tim

Original Poster
On my last trip back in September, I roder FOP for the first time. I had deliberately stayed away from finding out too much information about it. I stayed away from threads describing it. I avoided POV videos on Youtube. All I knew was the basic information about it - that it was a banshee flying experience. So, when I rode it, I had no idea what to expect which made the experience even greater I think. As a result, I am intending to approach the forthcoming new attractions in the same way.

I was wondering if other people do the same as me, or if you prefer to know what you're getting into before riding.

TwilightZone

I try to for some rides. Right now I am skipping anything soarin' over the world related. I also want the star wars rides to stay a secret for me.

LeighM

Since I have vertigo and claustrophobia, I need to research a lot of rides before going on them. It helps me know when I need to close my eyes, etc. I don't feel like it takes anything away from the experience - it actually lets me enjoy it more because I can relax in knowing what's going to happen.

Paper straw fan

If it’s something like a coaster where the main draw is the thrill (despite what others say about how a non working Yeti can ruin a coaster) then I can watch all the videos I want and it’s not going to ever compare to being on it, so why not. Something like a simulator, boat ride or whatever else, then yeah, I don’t want to see anything ahead of time. Unfortunately watching videos never can prepare me for when to brace, where to try and sit, or anything related to the actual movement on the ride. Even reading about it can do a little, but I have to experience it first hand before I can really adjust.

belledream

I'm with you. Did the exact same thing for FoP (also barely remembering what the movie Avatar was like) and was thrilled beyond belief. It was one of those things that just took me a a little while longer to process what had just happened to me. Luckily, we got a second ride in where I started to pay attention to the ins and outs instead of just being like :jawdrop:.

I try to avoid discussions and pictures of most things. Rides, lands, restaurants, parades, shows, soundtracks, etc. I find so much value and enjoyment in experiencing things with my own eyes and ears for the first time.

HouCuseChickie

I don't mind watching videos of a new attraction, but I've started pulling back from threads, articles, etc. on opinions. This really goes for everything. Nothing will replace what it's like to experience these things in person and just because someone loves it or hates it doesn't mean my first hand experience will be the same.

Yert3

I did the exact same. I didn’t even know what it was until I went on it. Made the experience a lot better I think.

JIMINYCR

Being on various sites discussing all things Disney, its hard not to hear, see, read details about new attractions. I dont mind getting plastered with info, because I dont prejudge anything until I actually experience them myself. Theres so many negatives that get thrown around about everything, I tend to ignore the reports until I find out the real deal. Knowing things about a new attraction, I dont find that it spoils or ruins my experience. If anything it heightens my excitement to try it out.

Networth

I did the same thing for FOP and beyond what I now know about the new Smugglers Run and Rise of the Resistance I will look, nor read anything further on them so I can have the same experience.

Walt Disney1955

Haven't ridden the Mine Train yet. Both times the line was just too long and it was impossible to get a fast pass. I prefer to see it for the first time. No doubt I can go on Youtube to see it, but I don't want to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom