News Disney Junior's Fancy Nancy coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

ThatMouse

Claiming a show is "for girls" or a toy is "for girls" is just reinforcing gender inequality. It's unbelievable to me how fast a doll is snatched away from a boy and replaced with a sportsball. Why does a child before the age of puberty need to concern themselves with gender identity? When I was little I thought Dale was a girl for some reason, which is why I liked Chip better. Who taught me that it mattered???

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
There is a new Disney Junior show that I think is an attempt to appeal more to boys- Gigantosaurus.
And side note, does anyone remember Jungle Junction? My now 8 year old was OBSESSED with that show. I miss Jungle Junction :joyfull:

Fancy Nancy might be coming to DHS but there's no doubt in my mind that Gigantosarus is predestined for DAK. Having watched the preview, I think it'd be perfect IP to fix Dinorama. They could even incorporate a Disney Junior Presents show to replace the Nemo theater. Not a great solution but I think Disney has a lot riding on this show. There's a sense of desperation to have a Dinosaur movie or show succeed. Might be a good fit for DAK. As for the boy/girl debate: Look at the success of "The Land Before Time" franchise, seen by nearly everyone.

phillip9698

This is such an incorrect comment. These shows aren't developed or marketed as anything gender-specific, they're made with the intent of creating entertaining content for children while teaching them valuable life lessons. Doc McStuffins and Sofia the First were very popular with boys, and for good reason, they were shows that taught lessons of honesty and kindness, with well-rounded memorable characters.

As a side note anyway, Disney Junior still has a wide variety of shows that are similar to those that you mentioned with Jake and Handy Manny, etc. including Muppet Babies and Puppy Dog Pals.

If Disney Jr. has a wide variety of shows it would help things out a bit if they actually aired them. It's the same 5 shows all day long. I make it a point to show Doc McStuffins when it's on because it's the only show they don't repeat ad nauseum.

Also it's hard to say a show isn't marketed almost exclusively to girls when there isn't any non pink/purple frilly merchandise available for Vampirina or Sofia. And no I'm not comfortable dressing my son in a purple tank top with a faux tutu bottom even though he does like the show.

Missing20K

meanders in and sees discussion about gender inequality depicted in Disney Junior programming
giphy.gif

RSoxNo1

A brief reminder: A show with a female lead is not necessarily targeted towards girls and Vice Versa.
No, but historically that's how we've conditioned society. It doesn't make it right, but a show with a female lead is typically targetted at women where a show with a male lead is more often to cross gender lines. As the "gender in power" the historical societal norm was for women to adapt to what males found entertaining.

While we've started to shift away from those previous societal norms, they still very much exist.

ImperfectPixie

A couple of thoughts as to the gender thing...1) sometimes kids just gravitate towards specific toys/characters.

For example, I love nature and spent tons of time trying to get my boys into animals (right up until probably 2nd grade with each of them) - we had sets of both domesticated and wild animals of varying sizes for them to play with, including corrals, etc. I even bought a complete set of dinosaurs hoping that would help... Nope. Neither of my sons has ever been interested in playing with toy animals or dinosaurs. Real animals? Sure. Toy ones...not even 1 hour of play-time (unless it was a stuffie tied to a specific vacation or attraction visit).

Now, put something - ANYTHING - with wheels in front of either of my boys, and they'll be content playing for HOURS, and this statement has been true pretty much from birth.

2) I think that these days advertising and seeing what a peer's preferences are play more of a role in conditioning gender roles than families do. We've always had Barbies around (I collected for a short while), and my sons loved playing with Barbie along with all their other Toy Story toys. It wasn't until my older son was in probably 2nd or 3rd grade that playing with Barbie became a "girly" thing. My younger son tends to follow his older brother around, so as interest in Barbie waned for my oldest, it also did for his younger brother.

As much as it pains me to say it, Disney has dropped the ball when it comes to Disney Jr. and pre-teen programming. Sofia the First was fairly popular in our house, but only for a super-short time. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was watched daily for years until they switched it to the racing show, and the new shorts have generally been ignored. Jake and the Neverland Pirates was a hit with my sons, but it wasn't on very often, and they gradually lost interest. The same could be said for the Tangled and Big Hero 6 animated series. Neither of my boys has ever shown an interest in any of the live action shows played on the Disney cable networks. My boys are now 13 and 8, and the Disney cable networks are rarely on anymore unless I happen to spot something I want to watch. They'll watch virtually any movie from any Disney-owned studio, but television is where Disney fell short for us. (Funny enough...they both love My Little Pony!)

Magenta Panther

A couple of thoughts as to the gender thing...1) sometimes kids just gravitate towards specific toys/characters.

For example, I love nature and spent tons of time trying to get my boys into animals (right up until probably 2nd grade with each of them) - we had sets of both domesticated and wild animals of varying sizes for them to play with, including corrals, etc. I even bought a complete set of dinosaurs hoping that would help... Nope. Neither of my sons has ever been interested in playing with toy animals or dinosaurs. Real animals? Sure. Toy ones...not even 1 hour of play-time (unless it was a stuffie tied to a specific vacation or attraction visit).

Now, put something - ANYTHING - with wheels in front of either of my boys, and they'll be content playing for HOURS, and this statement has been true pretty much from birth.

2) I think that these days advertising and seeing what a peer's preferences are play more of a role in conditioning gender roles than families do. We've always had Barbies around (I collected for a short while), and my sons loved playing with Barbie along with all their other Toy Story toys. It wasn't until my older son was in probably 2nd or 3rd grade that playing with Barbie became a "girly" thing. My younger son tends to follow his older brother around, so as interest in Barbie waned for my oldest, it also did for his younger brother.

As much as it pains me to say it, Disney has dropped the ball when it comes to Disney Jr. and pre-teen programming. Sofia the First was fairly popular in our house, but only for a super-short time. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was watched daily for years until they switched it to the racing show, and the new shorts have generally been ignored. Jake and the Neverland Pirates was a hit with my sons, but it wasn't on very often, and they gradually lost interest. The same could be said for the Tangled and Big Hero 6 animated series. Neither of my boys has ever shown an interest in any of the live action shows played on the Disney cable networks. My boys are now 13 and 8, and the Disney cable networks are rarely on anymore unless I happen to spot something I want to watch. They'll watch virtually any movie from any Disney-owned studio, but television is where Disney fell short for us. (Funny enough...they both love My Little Pony!)

The Pony show is better than it had to be, that's for certain. And it does have a strong male character in Spike the dragon. Plus some truly memorable villains. The pony Twilight had an epic battle with a centaur/minotaur villain once. Yeah I've watched the show. I watch a lot of cartoons. Frankly (although don't you even THINK of it, Iger) I'm surprised the show hasn't been incorporated yet into some theme park. The Pony franchise has been around a long time and now has a lot of adult fans. You'd think a park featuring Sugar Cube Corner, the Carousel Boutique and a dark ride would be a no-brainer. I wonder if the prejudice that the show is "just for girls" has something to do with its lack of representation in any theme park? Corporate suits can be very old-fart, uh, I mean old-fashioned... ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom