Disney may lose its right to build a nuclear power station

JoeCamel

Wait - we're talking a company that can't keep their website running more than a few hours per day - would you really trust them with nuclear power? :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

Goofyernmost

I guess we will store the nuclear waste at your house.
It has been established and pounded home a number of times that I am older then dirt. However, just to be part of this conversation, back when I was in High School, there was talk of how every home would eventually have it's own mini-nuclear reactor, black box, that powered everything in our houses, Lights, TV, AC , Heat and even powered our George Jetson flying car. I won't live to see it, but, if this country ever gets around to pulling its scared head out of its 19th century butt, we much just become progressive enough to do just that. I know I would if it were financially doable.

JoeCamel

It has been established and pounded home a number of times that I am older then dirt. However, just to be part of this conversation, back when I was in High School, there was talk of how every home would eventually have it's own mini-nuclear reactor, black box, that powered everything in our houses, Lights, TV, AC , Heat and even powered our George Jetson flying car. I won't live to see it, but, if this country ever gets around to pulling its scared head out of its 19th century butt, we much just become progressive enough to do just that. I know I would if it were financially doable.
I guess the Chinese would make them like many of out appliances. TV's, refrigerators, AC/heat units and washing machines. Reactors must be next.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Three Mile Island, Pennsylvania (The only one you mention in the States), partial meltdown, operator error, radiation was contained within the containment structure, no radiation was released, or death.
From the NRC Backgrounder on the TMI incident: (emphasis mine)...
"The Three Mile Island Unit 2 reactor, near Middletown, Pa., partially melted down on March 28, 1979. This was the most serious accident in U.S. commercial nuclear power plant operating history, although its small radioactive releases had no detectable health effects on plant workers or the public. Its aftermath brought about sweeping changes involving emergency response planning, reactor operator training, human factors engineering, radiation protection, and many other areas of nuclear power plant operations. It also caused the NRC to tighten and heighten its regulatory oversight. All of these changes significantly enhanced U.S. reactor safety. "

NelsonRD

From the NRC Backgrounder on the TMI incident: (emphasis mine)...
"The Three Mile Island Unit 2 reactor, near Middletown, Pa., partially melted down on March 28, 1979. This was the most serious accident in U.S. commercial nuclear power plant operating history, although its small radioactive releases had no detectable health effects on plant workers or the public. Its aftermath brought about sweeping changes involving emergency response planning, reactor operator training, human factors engineering, radiation protection, and many other areas of nuclear power plant operations. It also caused the NRC to tighten and heighten its regulatory oversight. All of these changes significantly enhanced U.S. reactor safety. "

The plant design contained the radioactive cooling water. Also, the overheated core was also contained. There was no detectable levels of radiation measured, and no direct health effects related to this accident. Im wondering why you felt the need to correct my statement. The point is the same, US nuclear operation is safer than Chernobyl and Fukushima.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To those who think nuclear energy is bad because of China Syndrome, or nearby ionizing radiation (the kind that glows green in movies), or storage of nuclear wastes... I'm sorry to inform you that you're on the anti-science side of 'the debate.' It puts you squarely in the camp with global warming deniers, anti-vaxxers, and flat earthers.

You need to brush up on science facts and not the irrational claims of non-scientific websites.

Besides, safer technologies that produces less waste and are safer-to-operate are on the horizon. They use molten salts for cooling and thorium as the radioactive source. These are self cooling if the layers of fail-safes all fail.

The problem is that nuclear plant technology has barely advanced. The tech that was designed for nuclear submarines had plentiful water for cooling. Land-based plants have to pump water. The uranium-base tech was favored by governments for the nuclear bomb components they provided. If countries put the resources into it, the next generation much-safer plants could be perfected and thrive.

And WDW could build one.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Im wondering why you felt the need to correct my statement. The point is the same, US nuclear operation is safer than Chernobyl and Fukushima.
"No radiation was released."
Correct, except for the 43,000 curies of radioactive krypton gas that were vented out of the reactor building.

I'm not anti-nuclear, but I am anti-sweeping-mistakes-under-the-rug.

I wonder how Disney would deal with guests if 43,000 curies of radioactive krypton gas were released from their hypothetical WDW nuclear plant.

Imagine the political cartoons showing Goofy at the control panel...

donsullivan

Premium Member
The much bigger issue in this article is not the nuclear power plant that would never be built anyway; it's the changes to the legislation demanded by the firefighters union. If this union continues their extremely aggressive and manipulative ways of 'negotiating' with the state legislature what they cannot get in normal contract negotiations, and these changes to the RCID law get instituted, it will open the door for countless other demands from other parties all around the state to demand changes for 'unfair' advantage Disney has on the property. Every few years here in Florida we get some wannabe politician looking to get some press who opens up the 'Disney should not have all this power' dialog and spins people and the media up. the minute there is precedent of taking some of that power away, I can assure you many, many people, organizations and companies will jump on it and want all kinds of power and control taken away from RCiD. That will absolutely not be a positive thing for RCID or Walt Disney World.

This legislative proposal is not about the authority to build a nuclear plant, which they were never going to do anyway; it's about removing powers to govern that RCID has at the demand of firefighters union. Adding the nuclear power plant part of this is a smoke screen so nobody sees what they are really trying to do.

Last edited:

seascape

The Firefighters Union should not be lobbying to change the law which allowed Disney to setup the RCID. If it were not for The Walt Disney Company and the RCID. Orlando would still be a small town. It was WDW that started the huge growth, followed by SeaWorld and International Drive and finally Universal. The most important thing for the Florida Legislature to remember is that it all started with a Mouse named Mickey.

DisneyCane

Disney would never build a nuclear power plant. They have had the ability to build one over 50 years and didn't. They are building a massive solar power field which can power all their planned growth. However, if the country is ever going to eliminate the need for fossil fuel, nuclear power has to be part of the energy mix. We can't survive on just solar and wind power. Burning anything releases carbon so to that leave solar, wind and water and if you look at the environmental damage caused dams you will see water power doesn't eliminate environmental damage.
Agree completely. Also, wind turbines have some environmental impacts as well (aside from the fact that they are hideously ugly). Solar panels do as well, especially if you are clearing vegetation/trees to put them in. Nothing is perfect but Nuclear (while expensive) doesn't emit CO2 and the radioactive waste can be safely stored.

A realistic goal for the US for energy production in 10-15 years would be something like 10% Solar, 6% hydroelectric, 25% wind, 30% nuclear, 29% oil/gas/coal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom