Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

OG Runner

I have not read all of the posts in this discussion, but would like to through in my two cents. Disney should updated the Imagination pavilion and return the ride to something closer to the original. It really was the best iteration. As far as Inside Out, why not just update
and revamp Cranium Command in the Wonders of Life pavilion? The show was pretty much Inside Out, before Inside Out was a movie.

Bender123

Out of curiosity, where do you stand on new Test Track vs Old Test Track?

Redheads are pretty offensive.

My issue with the Redhead is well documented. It was just a random change to appease a very small number of perpetually offended people, which in itself isn't terrible, but the new version is just cringe level bad.

The thing I thought the old version would get clipped for wasn't that pirates were doing pirate things, it was that they were making fun of a fat lady. Oddly, nobody seemed to care about the "selling her by the pound", "Shift your cargo" and "show em your larboard side"...

I just get the feeling Disney doesn't really understand what pirates are...they did come up with this gem.

rle4lunch

My issue with the Redhead is well documented. It was just a random change to appease a very small number of perpetually offended people, which in itself isn't terrible, but the new version is just cringe level bad.

The thing I thought the old version would get clipped for wasn't that pirates were doing pirate things, it was that they were making fun of a fat lady. Oddly, nobody seemed to care about the "selling her by the pound", "Shift your cargo" and "show em your larboard side"...

I just get the feeling Disney doesn't really understand what pirates are...they did come up with this gem.View attachment 350023

It's called whitewashing of history (either non-fiction or non-fiction based fiction, if that makes sense). Instead of learning, appreciating and growing from our history (industry calls this risk mitigation and process improvement and the use of best practices), they ignore it and try to act as if it didn't exist. The always offending culture that is being bred today will never be happy (that's okay, progress is great!), but they go about change the wrong way, in every facet of the way change is supposed to take place.

Rich Brownn

Thank goodness they haven't changed the song yet. I am sure some people are off put by the Pirate's lyrics.
I remember reading when Marc Davis was assigned to help create Pirates he thought it wasn't very friendly. Then he researched and found out most pirates were dismal failures, tended to rob each other more than others, and mostly died of VD. He felt that gave him permission to just have fun and use cliche's instead of history.

SirWillow

Out of curiosity, where do you stand on new Test Track vs Old Test Track?

I'm definitely an old Test Track person. While the "design your car" in the queue is interesting, I found even the old queue much more dynamic with all of the crash test stuff. And the ride itself is very plain looking and uninteresting now. Look at a screen, but why are you doing these things? The tests and what is happening have little reason behind them now, and half the time it doesn't even show the car designs of the riders right.

the old was far more interesting visually, flowed with what was happening, and felt more like an actual testing of the cars to us. My whole family was disappointed with the new version.

Seabasealpha1

I just get the feeling Disney doesn't really understand what pirates are...they did come up with this gem.View attachment 350023
It takes everything I have (plus I don’t want to embarrass Mrs. Alpha!) to not shout loudly from the boat “We wants the readhead!”, it really does... the new scene is just a hell of a lot of backpedaling over a non-issue... people should know and expect that pirates weren’t the best people to have ever existed. If anything the new scene just made the problem worse. At least in my mind!

GlacierGlacier

It's called whitewashing of history (either non-fiction or non-fiction based fiction, if that makes sense). Instead of learning, appreciating and growing from our history (industry calls this risk mitigation and process improvement and the use of best practices), they ignore it and try to act as if it didn't exist. The always offending culture that is being bred today will never be happy (that's okay, progress is great!), but they go about change the wrong way, in every facet of the way change is supposed to take place.
Whitewashing history wouldn't've been done by Disney, I don't think, if it weren't for the fact that the pirates became the good guys.

The PotC movie made every young swashbuckler wish to be Captain jack sparrow, and now they had a problem on their hands: these kids go on this ride to hear about pirates and what it means to be a pirate, and these characters which were originally depicted as the villains, the drunks, the terrible folks doing terrible things - they're now the role models the kid is dressing up as.

That's not a great message to send - regardless of your stance of the impact of that on children. Even if kids never blinked at it and were just like "I'm a pirate, yo ho, pirates historically were terrible people but I love dressing up as them now because our modern, fantasized versions of pirates are so disconnected from the monsters they were historically," it's still not a great PR thing for the Disney company.

They were a victim of their own success.

Phil12

Whitewashing history wouldn't've been done by Disney, I don't think, if it weren't for the fact that the pirates became the good guys.

The PotC movie made every young swashbuckler wish to be Captain jack sparrow, and now they had a problem on their hands: these kids go on this ride to hear about pirates and what it means to be a pirate, and these characters which were originally depicted as the villains, the drunks, the terrible folks doing terrible things - they're now the role models the kid is dressing up as.

That's not a great message to send - regardless of your stance of the impact of that on children. Even if kids never blinked at it and were just like "I'm a pirate, yo ho, pirates historically were terrible people but I love dressing up as them now because our modern, fantasized versions of pirates are so disconnected from the monsters they were historically," it's still not a great PR thing for the Disney company.

But Captain Jack Sparrow is a hero! He received a full pardon and was commissioned as a privateer on behalf of England and the East India Trading Company. That puts Captain Jack Sparrow in the same league as Sir Francis Drake!

The English thought Sir Francis Drake was great while the Spanish thought he was a dirty pirate. So, it all depends upon which side you're on!

FigmentJedi

But Captain Jack Sparrow is a hero! He received a full pardon and was commissioned as a privateer on behalf of England and the East India Trading Company. That puts Captain Jack Sparrow in the same league as Sir Francis Drake!

The English thought Sir Francis Drake was great while the Spanish thought he was a dirty pirate. So, it all depends upon which side you're on!
He didn't even accept the letter of marque. Norrington's the one that became a privateer.

All Jack did was lead them to Shipwreck Cove to save his skin.

HauntedMansionFLA

Whitewashing???? They left out a pretty important character in Splash Mountain!!
I hope the Song Of The South will be on their new streaming channel!!

Phil12

He didn't even accept the letter of marque. Norrington's the one that became a privateer.

All Jack did was lead them to Shipwreck Cove to save his skin.
The point is that the difference between a pirate and a privateer is a matter of opinion. As I stated before, it all depends upon which side you're on! And, as we know, Captain Jack Sparrow will switch sides at any time that it serves his purpose. Captain Jack doesn't need no stinkin' letter of marque!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom