fp+ questions

marge

Original Poster
For fp+ do you get on right away or how long do you wait to get on ride?

How many extra fastpasses do you get if you use up your 3 allotted?

Is it a better plan to do all fastpasses early ,so we use them quickly to get more OR start booking later and then have some for evening?
(our park plan is to rope drop and then go back to the hotel for rest, swim or nap, then come back for dinner and a few rides/fireworks in the evening)

if you use all your fastpasses, can you pick fp4 as a tier 1? thanks!!

nickys

Premium Member

Is it a better plan to do all fastpasses early ,so we use them quickly to get more OR start booking later and then have some for evening?
(our park plan is to rope drop and then go back to the hotel for rest, swim or nap, then come back for dinner and a few rides/fireworks in the evening)

Generally using an FP means you’ll walk through the FP line fairly steadily. You may have a little wait but it shouldn’t be long, unless the ride was previously down for some reason. Then anyone who had an FP could turn up together and lengthen the line. For a show, then you really want to turn up 15-20 minutes early (apart from Fantasmic where at least 30 minutes is advised).

Once you’ve used your pre-booked ones, you can get one more at a time. Either using the app or the kiosks.

Once you’ve used your first three, you can then book any tier after that. If there was availability, you could book a tier 1 for the 4th, 5th, 6th and so on. Availability is key though.

However, if for any reason you don’t want to use one, it is always best to Modify it to something else or a later time. You can also just tap in at the ride entrance and then just not ride. Don’t rely on the FP expiring and don’t just cancel an FP. That can cause issues with booking further ones.

As for timing, different people do different things. If you are like me and use Fos for the family’s must-do rides / shows, then sometimes our third one is mid afternoon. If you plan to do rope drop (that’s when the park first opens), and will be there 30 minutes before, an hour for MK and AK, then I would book your first at around 9:30/10am.

JohnD

You can enter the queue at the FP checking scanner 5 minutes before, anytime during your scheduled hour, and 15 minutes after your scheduled hour. How long you are in the FP queue is dependent on the queue setup for the attraction.

As many as you want. But you only get one additional to use before you can schedule your next one.

Is it a better plan to do all fastpasses early ,so we use them quickly to get more OR start booking later and then have some for evening? (our park plan is to rope drop and then go back to the hotel for rest, swim or nap, then come back for dinner and a few rides/fireworks in the evening)
It depends on how you schedule your day. If you decide to spend the whole day in a park, then scheduling your three FPs early is the better strategy so that you can get schedule additional FPs. Your plan is better for scheduling FPs in the evening. If you plan on rope dropping anyway, then schedule your three for the same evening. This strategy also works if you plan on rope dropping one park then hopping to another park or entering a park later in the day on check in day.

You no longer have Tier 1 or Tier 2. It's whatever is available although Tier 1 will still be harder to get.

JillC LI

The longest I've ever waited with a FP+ is 30 minutes but usually it is closer to 5-10 minutes.

There is no limit but you can only book one at a time based on availability.

Is it a better plan to do all fastpasses early ,so we use them quickly to get more OR start booking later and then have some for evening? (our park plan is to rope drop and then go back to the hotel for rest, swim or nap, then come back for dinner and a few rides/fireworks in the evening)
We always go at rope drop when the parks are the least crowded so we do everything on standby until late morning, and then we use our FPs in the afternoon. That means that all the "big" rides often have no availability when we are ready to add a 4th FP+. However, if you are going at a crowded time of year then those "big" rides may already have no FP+s left even before you arrive that morning.

Yes if it's available but unless it is a low crowd season, there is a good chance it won't be available.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If you plan on rope dropping anyway, then schedule your three for the same evening.
Completely disagree. We rope drop and park hop and we always book FPs for 9am, 10am, and 11am in our morning park. We get two or three rides done at rope drop, then ride our 9am FastPass late in the window. We're on to our fourth FP+ when we go to our evening park.

We also tend to schedule things in the evening that either don't need FastPass or have ample same-day availability. Things like DAK shows, Studios shows, World Showcase, lesser Fantasyland attractions, etc.

JohnD

Completely disagree. We rope drop and park hop and we always book FPs for 9am, 10am, and 11am in our morning park. We get two or three rides done at rope drop, then ride our 9am FastPass late in the window. We're on to our fourth FP+ when we go to our evening park.

We also tend to schedule things in the evening that either don't need FastPass or have ample same-day availability. Things like DAK shows, Studios shows, World Showcase, lesser Fantasyland attractions, etc.

Clearly there are options. Several weeks ago, I rope dropped AK, did FoP and saw several shows in the morning. I hopped to Epcot and had FPs for SSE and Illuminations. About the only way I would recommend getting a FP for this show if hopping to Epcot in the evening. Choices were sparse anyway. Might as well scoop up a FP for Illuminations with a good view before I can no longer see it. Or you may want to rope drop one park, then hop to, say, MK or HS later in the evening to experience attractions at night. This works better if you can schedule your FPs 60 days out. Mine was scheduled last minute.

Last edited:

aliceismad

Depending on when you are going and how busy it is, there are some rides that are almost always available as 4th, 5th, etc., FPs, but there are also some rides that are unlikely to be available the day of. (Flight of Passage and Slinky Dog Dash are probably the hardest FPs to get. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at MK is also a very popular ride.) If you really want to get one of those rides, some people are willing to just take whatever time is available. It helps to do some research regarding which rides are most beneficial for FPs, which ones have the longest lines, etc.

Herdman

We typically don't park hop. It usually depends on the park as to how we schedule our FP+. For example, we rope drop HS (we haven't been since TSL opened) and ride Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror and the Rock Coaster early, then I schedule FP+ for each one again later in the day when the park is typically more crowded (picking two of the three because of tiers. 3rd one is usually for Star Tours). I've done the same type of thing in other parks where we like to ride an attraction more than once.

It's all about how you typically do a park day as to what works best for you.

Wendy Pleakley

Some observations from a few weeks ago:

Animal Kingdom: Kilimanjaro Safari FP was not available day of, but Everest was. Likewise for Primeval Whirl. I booked FoP, Dinosaur, and Everest. Should have substituted Kilimanjaro for Everest.

Epcot: Soarin FP was available day of, but not Test Track or Frozen to my knowledge. Book accordingly.

Magic Kingdom: has the most attractions, so most options for getting that 4th, 5th, etc. FP. Seven Dwarfs was the only attraction with zero same day availability. I'd go with Dwarfs, Big Thunder, and Space Mountain based on my observations.

Hollywood Studios. Can't say, as was stuck with a 6:30 Slinky Dog FP so didn't have a chance to book a 4th. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and ToT had the longest waits so those are your other best choices to book a FP for.

No reason not to book early Fastpasses. Rope drop waits aren't that short, really. I'd book Fastpasses in the first three hours, do one or two attractions at opening, and you'll still make good use of the first Fastpass.

Also note that Pandora, for example, opens early. We arrived around 8:20 for a 9:00am park opening. They opened it up around 8:30. Most people went to FoP, while we did River Journey twice with no wait, before it was even 8:45.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom