Disney World in 2071

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
2071: A time when diseases such as Alzheimer's / Dementia, and all cancers are completely and easily curable. The world is more connected globally than we could ever imagine back in 2019. There will most likely be some serious issues with population to job ratio by then, but like all other past obstacles... we'll manage. Housing and other resources for those wanting to live there will be the most crucial concern. It'll be a cramped lifestyle, for sure. But we'll still be hobbling along. If theme parks still serve as a valued source of entertainment (why would they not?) then Disney will be doing just fine. Different, for sure. But just fine nonetheless.

The babby boomer population bubble will have burst leaving all the retirement communities as empty wastlands.. The Villages will become a wildlife park.

Astro_Digital

My thoughts are this today people are looking for 2 minute, VR experiences
In 50 years ..... will sit at home attached to a rig like in "Ready Player One"... will not want to go to WDW

darrelljon

Maybe Disney could do away with parking lots for cars and build several train lines and cycle tracks to parks from off site hotel areas and the airport by 2071. I am still surprised not a single train line runs to Disneyworld in this day and age. Hong Kong has a line direct into Disney.

Goofyernmost

Maybe Disney could do away with parking lots for cars and build several train lines and cycle tracks to parks from off site hotel areas and the airport by 2071. I am still surprised not a single train line runs to Disneyworld in this day and age. Hong Kong has a line direct into Disney.
As does Paris to Disneyland Paris... but, different culture and different travel habits. No sense building a train connection that won't be used.

MAGICFLOP

I am thinking in another 50 years the parks will not be open.
I do expect the parks will be long gone.
Maybe they price themselves out of existence, I already pass spending $500 on a family today I do not think is money well spent.
Maybe people will get tired of crowds .... reason number 2 why I stopped.
People used to go for nostalgia, Disney has been dead for over 50 years the World of Disney is not of TV anymore. Maybe the kids that grow to adults will simply not care.
Finally maybe people will start seeing Walt Disney World for what it is a cheap exploitation of Pop Culture. Go for Star Wars, Avatar, Marvel, Pixar ...... a big commercial.

Really the last time I when to Walt Disney World was 2 years ago and I really do not miss going back. You may wonder why I still visit the board, do not get me wrong I do not hate the place. For the negatives I pointed out there are still reasons to go, and I still drop in from time to time because I still get nostalgic. I did have good times at Walt Disney World and who knows I may go back one day. Not anytime soon but one day.

If Walt Disney World is alive and healthy in 50 years I do suspect whatever is in movies the future will be in the parks.
Classic attractions "Country Bear, Small World etc... will be long gone"
What you said exactly applies to myself as well except its almost 4 years for me.

I will add another couple of reasons why I don't think it will survive.
In my opinion, I think there is a huge crisis about to fall in Hollywood, round 2 of the sex scandals involving pedophilia on a big scale and I don't know if/what Disney's role is in it (if any). I don't know anything, but I can kinda feel it. COMPLETE SPECULATION
If there is (God forbid) another major terrorist attack on American soil and it happens near the Orlando or even the transportation system like 911 was, then everyone would be afraid to travel. I was one of the few that still went to Disney after 911 and the parks were empty, difference now is that they have since added tons to hotel rooms that might sit empty. Look on u-tube what hotels look like sitting empty, how fast they degrade.

I hope it will survive and it even resembles what it is today..

DisneyDoctor

2071: A time when diseases such as Alzheimer's / Dementia, and all cancers are completely and easily curable. The world is more connected globally than we could ever imagine back in 2019. There will most likely be some serious issues with population to job ratio by then, but like all other past obstacles... we'll manage. Housing and other resources for those wanting to live there will be the most crucial concern. It'll be a cramped lifestyle, for sure. But we'll still be hobbling along. If theme parks still serve as a valued source of entertainment (why would they not?) then Disney will be doing just fine. Different, for sure. But just fine nonetheless.
Pretty optimistic point of view on the diseases lol.

Marc Davis Fan

I won't be alive for WDW's 100th, but I probably will be alive for Disneyland's 100th... and I plan to be there! Seriously, I decided while I was attending the 60th celebration that I'm going to attend the 100th (well, unless I'm inhabiting the Haunted Mansion by then).

That being said, while thinking about DL's 100th being fewer than 40 years out, and DL being more popular than ever, it occurred to me that it's very likely to be there in 2050. I suspect that Main Street and Rivers of America will be basically the same, and I would imagine there being upgraded versions of HM, PoTC, and Matterhorn Bobsleds. I would imagine that other lands might be more substantially altered by then.

I'm far less certain about how the future of WDW will play out, since it seems more impacted by trends, and more apt to change faster.

darrelljon

As does Paris to Disneyland Paris... but, different culture and different travel habits. No sense building a train connection that won't be used.
9.5 million ridership annually is predicted for the Orlando high speed line to Disneyworld. By way of comparison of visitor numbers, MK gets 20m, AK and Epcot gets 12m, HS gets 10m.

Goofyernmost

9.5 million ridership annually is predicted for the Orlando high speed line to Disneyworld. By way of comparison of visitor numbers, MK gets 20m, AK and Epcot gets 12m, HS gets 10m.
Nice projection, but, unless they personally asked all 9.5 million directly and got a "I sure will ride it!", that number was pulled out of the air and is meaningless. That might, however, be the number needed to keep it on track (so to speak).

Wouldn't those comparison numbers all include the first 20m mentioned. People don't fly into Orlando to just go to one park so they over lap. That seems to me to be quite an impossible number at almost 50%. It might replace the Disney prison buses, but, would benefit no one else other then Disney. Try getting the public to pay for the enhancement of Disney's already Billion Dollar profits.

darrelljon

So 'won't be used' is a more carefully calculated prediction than company projections of 9.5m. The public pay for roads surrounding disney so no reason to keep disneyworld in the dark ages for its first century with no rail connection, unlike other disney properties worldwide.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With the fiftieth anniversary coming up, I've been thinking about what the parks will be like at the 100th year anniversary. What rides in each of the four parks do you think are safe, and which do you think are at risk of being removed within the next 50 years?

I think there’s little chance of a Disney “as we know it” in 2071...

Due to economics

Goofyernmost

So 'won't be used' is a more carefully calculated prediction than company projections of 9.5m. The public pay for roads surrounding disney so no reason to keep disneyworld in the dark ages for its first century with no rail connection, unlike other disney properties worldwide.
Contrary to popular belief, there is way, way more to central Florida then WDW. Those that sequester themselves on WDW property don't know that, so that isn't a good comparison. If the public were asked to build a road that could only be used to get to WDW that wouldn't fly either. I-4 and 192 are used to get to many, many places and can be used to get to WDW.

Maybe by 2071 society will change to be in line with other countries, but, until all cities are aligned to have everything centralized to be handy to get around on foot in, the high speed train system would be way to selective as to who would benefit to ride it. Future? Maybe! However, we are a auto nation and until the collective thought that it is necessary, it just will not ever be profitable in this country. We cover to much area.

Last edited:

twilight mitsuk

The year, 2071.

A delicate “bong” sound tells Jim he’s got mail. Jim heard it and makes his way to the front door through his home while the rest of the family is still asleep. Jim’s home is mostly stark white. Vast open areas, highly polished floors, white vinyl furniture, with harsh square edges.

The inside walls are empty and white, and the outer walls are walls of glass to the outdoors. Outside there is barely a horizon, mostly gray and fog, nothing to see as Jim moves to the door. Jim sees Al the postman through the door’s video display and opens the door.

"Good morning Jim, here’s your mail." "Thanks Al," Jim continues their running joke, “So Al, when they gonna shut down the postal service?” Al says, ”next week maybe." They both laugh and exchange goodbyes, and Jim closes the door. The hum of the automatic digital deadbolt is heard as he walks away.

Jim shuffles through his mail and he finds his Walt Disney World "One Hundredth Anniversary" Vacation Package!

A big smile comes over his face. He puts down the rest of the mail and runs to the closest home controller.

He presses a few buttons and all of a sudden, the house erupts with the sounds of “When you wish upon a star”. Jim can hear the cheers from his two kids and wife as they run into the living room cheering, “We are going to Walt Disney World!”

The family gathers around Jim in sheer excitement. Jim opens the package and out slides the four bionic modules. “Here are our keys to the world,” Jim says.

Starting with his daughter Jane, he delicately places Jane’s module on the magnetic connector on her right temple. Next his son Billy, next his wife Sue. Jim glances at his antique 1982 EPCOT Center watch, its 7:30 AM. He connects his module to his temple.

The family wakes in the historic Bay Lake Tower resort. The Walt Disney World Resort had grown to over 2000 resorts if you count the ones on the Moon and Mars, but Jim’s family loves the old-fashioned style of the historic Bay Lake Tower, right here in the Republic of Reedy Creek.

They make their way and instantly get on the monorail, and it’s off to the Magic Kingdom. It’s a beautiful day and they breeze through the gate and are in the park. The park is crowded, but everyone is happy. Peter Pan is a favorite so they go there first and they walk right on the ride and have a good time. Then hit the Mine Train, Pooh, small world, and PhilharMagic; all with no wait. They catch the train, no wait, and do both Splash and Thunder Mountains, breezing onto the rides.

They are feeling hungry so they decide to have lunch at Cinderella’s Royal Table. They jump on the train and it’s back to Main Street. They walk into The Castle and are instantly seated.

It’s a great lunch. There are no menus, there are no checks, no money, the family is served instantly and it’s exactly whatever they wanted to have for lunch. All the Characters knew the family by name. It was a blast. Happy and full, Jim’s family is happily skipping down Main Street.

All of a sudden, everything goes white… VR SYSTEM FAULT. Please contact customer service…

Jim's family wakes on the sofa of their living room. “It happened again Dad,” Billy says. “Yeah,” Jim says, “another system crash of Disney's Virtual Reality Systems."

The family sadly removes their modules and hands them to Jim. Jim says, “I will send these back and see If I can get some new ones." Jim glances at his watch, its 7:35 AM. Jim says, “Go back to bed kids." The family sadly walks away.

Jim, now also depressed, slides the modules into the return envelope.

Just then, a delicate “bong”. Al is back. Jim answers the door. “Hi Jim. Here, I missed a piece of mail." Al hands him the mail. Jim hands Al the return envelope. Al recognizes the envelope and says, “Another system crash I take it?” Jim sadly says, "Yes." Al asks Jim jokingly, “When are they going to fix that Disney VRS?”

Jim plays along, ” Next week maybe."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom