Guy climbs out of Space Mountain car during ride

HMFan999

Sometime in February, my new role will be unveiled, something very visible, and something I have avoided. But sooner or later, you need to move from behind the scenes to being in the spotlight. I sat down with my lovely wife Lisa, a person who has been on the ride from early on, tonight to discuss the fact I wanted her permission to accept the opportunity, one that will have her be by my side at many public events. So it had to be a joint decision.

Sorry I went off track at the end, but my cryptic words are meant for the long termers here.

Need to head to bed, night all.

I believe I speak for many of the newcomers when I say

mickEblu

Nobody in LA cares about the Rams

Well you have 2 generations of people that never had a pro football team in LA. It’ll take some time to get that fan base going. They re certainly not anywhere nearly as popular as the Lakers or Dodgers yet. However, getting to the Super Bowl (and maybe winning it) should start to help with that. I will say, I’m not feeling the excitement and buzz around the city like when the Lakers are in the finals or Dodgers in the World Series.

DrAlice

You might find the info you are looking for at SOARin over Anaheim

Ok, I'll play (because it beats my actually responsibilities). :D

A quick google search for SOAR leads to many possibilities.... a camp for ADHD kids, a Catholic organization for the elderly, a gaming company, two civic initiatives (one dealing with homelessness, the other open space/Ag stuff).

Or.... Maybe you just really like hang gliding. ;)

AJFireman

After everything had been resolved on Tuesday, one of my bothan spies talked to someone who was on the response team. Here's a quick overview of what they were told:
  • The passenger got uncomfortable and wanted to get off the ride, so he managed to climb out of the restraint
  • He was a larger fellow, so it's not like he just slipped out from under the lap bar (though being larger, the lap bar wouldn't have been lowered as far, which may have aided him)
  • He exited the vehicle after the top of the final lift hill, in the short moment before the cars pick up speed, and wound up on one of the catwalks
  • The ride operators did not know he had exited the vehicle until his friends returned to the station and told the CMs (as already mentioned in the thread), who then E-stopped the ride to locate him
  • There were no injuries
  • The initial investigation immediately following the event indicated that the CMs followed proper procedures and there had not been an equipment failure
  • It was determined to be one of those crazy one-in-a-billion events that you just can't reasonably plan for. The attraction was expected to reopen Wednesday morning with no modifications. It's unclear why the opening was delayed
Based on this, it sounds like everybody is being pretty level-headed in their response, despite the shocking nature of what happened. They recognize that it was a set of extenuating circumstances, which they had prepared for as well as could realistically be expected in an operating theme park. That said, they also realize how lucky they are that there were no injuries, since this could have easily ended very poorly.

I watched a few ride through videos and he is lucky to sit in the left seat. Once it gets to the part where you describe in the dark the catwalk is only on the left side of the ride. He would of taken a far tumble if he went off on the right.

Dr_dealio

Perhaps. If that were the case then shame on his care takers, if he needed them. I'd imagine it would be hard to get out of that restraint unless the bar wasn't down far enough. I suppose the cast member on the line could have missed this.
Exactly!!
Perhaps. If that were the case then shame on his care takers, if he needed them. I'd imagine it would be hard to get out of that restraint unless the bar wasn't down far enough. I suppose the cast member on the line could have missed this.
Exactly!! Stupid to put someone you KNOW that has an issue on a dangerous ride. I don’t care how you break it down. The world we live in, just one person screws it up for everybody else. You can’t defend that! This one situation is an example of what can happen. It’s not about the ride or harnesses, it’s about the people who did something stupid! Take responsibility! His caretakers acted foolish and irresponsible and did something unsafe. Normally I would be the first to slam Disney, but in this case no. But now Disney has to react. Lucky the person wasn’t seriously injured! That could have ended awful and Disney would have been blamed. When you said Shame on the caretakers, I have to agree!

Rockoder10

On the topic of restraints, I have an interesting story. As a kid, very young like 7, I went to WDW with family and friends and we decided to go to the Alien Encounter in Tomorrowland. It looked cool and that was before any real warnings about scary stuff for kids, where Stich is now if I’m not mistaken, and for some reason on that ride they put us in shoulder harnesses which I don’t remember why since it was more or less a movie with interactive bits than a true ride from what I remember.

Needless to say, I was not ready for it, I was utterly terrified, all of the darkness, loud noises and scary imagery. My mother looked over seeing me terrified and crying and did that Herculean strength mom thing and physically pushed up on the restraint that she was able to get it to deactivate and she reached over and covered my eyes and ears, shielding me from the noise and everything. I’m still impressed to this day.

lazyboy97o

Wasn't Space Mountain designed by Vekoma? I believe Veokoma also designed the ride vehicles. I'm curious at what point liability and obligation for modifications falls back on the Park vs. the manufacturer? If Vekoma designed vehicles that allowed for someone to escape the restraints, is this Disney's total liability?
Space Mountain at Disneyland is not a Vekoma coaster. If a park is using a manufacturer’s vehicle, then the manufacturer does carry liability for the design. This is why after some incidents manufacturers will notify operators to suspend operations, you make certain modifications.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
If anything good comes out of this it should be a revised restraint system. The seating on Space Mountain is super cramped if you have legs and the current lap bar doesn't make it any more comfy. Make it like Big Thunder Mountain where it goes across the whole seat.

Frontierland's Finest

• He exited the vehicle after the top of the final lift hill, in the short moment before the cars pick up speed, and wound up on one of the catwalks
  • The ride operators did not know he had exited the vehicle until his friends returned to the station and told the CMs (as already mentioned in the thread), who then E-stopped the ride to locate him
  • There were no injuries
I am shocked the guy didn't trigger the sensors which would have caused the ride to automatically E-Stop. That's a fairly standard system in place on most tracked attractions at Disney. Regardless, glad the guy was safe.

RollerCoaster

Shoulder restraints wouldn't be the worst thing on Space Mountain but it would certainly be a shame to have this attraction down when Galaxy's Edge opened just so they can be installed.

NO! We don't need to modify rides and accept modifications because some people are stupid! Millions ride Space Mountain each year without incident! The restraints "as-is" are more than sufficient. We can't prepare for and anticipate every stupid thing someone is going to do, nor should we be expected to!

Disney should issue a lifetime "no trespass" to this individual AND those responsible for his care. They should also file a civil lawsuit to recover monetary damages his actions could have caused the company.

If CalOSHA really were protecting public safety then criminal charges should be applicable to this case. If there isn't a law on the books then there should be.

TROR

NO! We don't need to modify rides and accept modifications because some people are stupid! Millions ride Space Mountain each year without incident! The restraints "as-is" are more than sufficient. We can't prepare for and anticipate every stupid thing someone is going to do, nor should we be expected to!

Disney should issue a lifetime "no trespass" to this individual AND those responsible for his care. They should also file a civil lawsuit to recover monetary damages his actions could have caused the company.

If CalOSHA really were protecting public safety then criminal charges should be applicable to this case. If there isn't a law on the books then there should be.
Alright man

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom