deleted

Trackmaster

You know that there are different styles of theme parks. Some promote their big thrill rides over family friendly rides. Of course most of them have stuff for the whole family. But they are not built around it as Disney is. If WDW shrunk it's family friendly rides and started just building thrill rides, they would loose business. I am not saying that there are no other family style parks, but maybe I should say no one does a family park as well as WDW. You have parks that are more all generation,family parks and you have more thrill ride parks. Universal is not trying to copy WDW with the family aspect. They have gone for the thrill ride aspect of amusement parks. And I am not saying that kids will not ride thrill rides. I am saying that Disney parks are built more around rides that all generations can ride together. Have you not been there?

And I'm saying that at the moment, all parks sell-out completely for the under 18 demographic. From a target standpoint, the adults are just chauffeurs. Name me a single park that focuses on adults over kids. Universal? Completely kid focused. Tons of kiddie rides, screen rides, Harry Potter rides, etc. Something being fast and intense and exciting has nothing to do with if the target is a kid or an adult. Kids can take the intensity more than adults. Really, when content is adult focused, it means that there is objectionable content - strong curse words, nudity, violence, mature themes, drug usage, etc. To ever see a true adult ride at a park, think what the X-Men did with Deadpool and Logan - bringing a R rating to a kid centered comic book series. I think that in Europe the parks tend to be less PC and have some more violent themes. But in America, companies are very conservative and really just do what can sell to the most people.

Really, the most adult park that I can think of in America is EPCOT... and that's DISNEY! And even that has a bunch of stuff that only kids could like. No other chain has a true adult park.

JohnD

Average guest while already inside WDW:

MK: I'm going to Disney World today.
Ep: The golf ball looks cool but there is nothing else to do there.
HS: I haven't been to MGM in a long time. Where is the big Mickey hat?
AK: It's just a zoo. I could do that at home.

jaklgreen

And I'm saying that at the moment, all parks sell-out completely for the under 18 demographic. From a target standpoint, the adults are just chauffeurs. Name me a single park that focuses on adults over kids. Universal? Completely kid focused. Tons of kiddie rides, screen rides, Harry Potter rides, etc. Something being fast and intense and exciting has nothing to do with if the target is a kid or an adult. Kids can take the intensity more than adults. Really, when content is adult focused, it means that there is objectionable content - strong curse words, nudity, violence, mature themes, drug usage, etc. To ever see a true adult ride at a park, think what the X-Men did with Deadpool and Logan - bringing a R rating to a kid centered comic book series. I think that in Europe the parks tend to be less PC and have some more violent themes. But in America, companies are very conservative and really just do what can sell to the most people.

Really, the most adult park that I can think of in America is EPCOT... and that's DISNEY! And even that has a bunch of stuff that only kids could like. No other chain has a true adult park.

I was never talking about adult vs kids, I was saying the WDW is a family focused theme park. So they focus on rides that the whole family can enjoy together and not just big thrill rides.

jaklgreen

I don't think that's too unreasonable an assumption for two reasons. I've never heard of anywhere called Maingate before until I heard of the one near Disney, so it's not unreasonable to assume it is near the main gate. And two, I've never been but can't you walk to Disneyland (and other Disney parks worldwide) main gate from off site?

That is why research is so important. If I was going to France and the hotel boasted a view of the Eiffel Tower, and that was important to me, I would sure as heck verify what kind of view it was. For all I know it could be 10 miles away and you can just barely see the top. We all know that places say things like this all the time to make them sound enticing. I always assume a company is exaggerating. Look at the commercials that Disney themselves put out. Talk about puffing.

darrelljon

That is why research is so important. If I was going to France and the hotel boasted a view of the Eiffel Tower, and that was important to me, I would sure as heck verify what kind of view it was. For all I know it could be 10 miles away and you can just barely see the top. We all know that places say things like this all the time to make them sound enticing. I always assume a company is exaggerating. Look at the commercials that Disney themselves put out. Talk about puffing.
And that's why the average person doesn't research these things otherwise businesses would never bother making the claims.

aliceismad

I don't think that's too unreasonable an assumption for two reasons. I've never heard of anywhere called Maingate before until I heard of the one near Disney, so it's not unreasonable to assume it is near the main gate. And two, I've never been but can't you walk to Disneyland (and other Disney parks worldwide) main gate from off site?
There are hotels that use main gate in their names near DLR, and you can walk to the parks. I believe at WDW there are booking sites that call a certain region main gate. When we were contemplating a WDW vacation several years ago, DH was pushing for an off-site hotel or vacation rental until I showed him how many miles it really is between parks, etc. He had only been to DLR one time and that’s the only experience he had with Disney. I get why someone who hasn’t done any research would be taken aback.

ppete1975

Sadly if you are new and treated it like any other amusement park you are going to be frustrated and confused. You have to do research and planning well ahead nowadays. Most parks you show up and you are on an even playing field. So you’d probably be awed by the castle, the ball, the theming. Get a feeling of nostalgia from seeing things you saw in books your whole life. Then totally confused and irritated that you should have had reservations and fast passes months ago and studied which rides you should do first. Because six flag doesn’t do that lol

Trackmaster

Sadly if you are new and treated it like any other amusement park you are going to be frustrated and confused. You have to do research and planning well ahead nowadays. Most parks you show up and you are on an even playing field. So you’d probably be awed by the castle, the ball, the theming. Get a feeling of nostalgia from seeing things you saw in books your whole life. Then totally confused and irritated that you should have had reservations and fast passes months ago and studied which rides you should do first. Because six flag doesn’t do that lol

Different people have different preferences. Off the bat -- I think that most casual park goers are OK with what they want to ride once, and calling it a day on rides. They wouldn't even ride the rides 5-10 times each if the park was a ghost town. And, they can enjoy looking at the sights, going out to eat (can probably find a reservation somewhere, even it has to be at the resorts, and EPCOT you can usually get something same day), seeing the fireworks, etc.

Its only select groups of people (like me and probably a lot of people on this board) who would even take advantage of getting 5-10 rides in on their choice of rides if given the chance.

So I think that's how casual park goers can justify going at busy times of the year sans a plan.

Trackmaster

I was never talking about adult vs kids, I was saying the WDW is a family focused theme park. So they focus on rides that the whole family can enjoy together and not just big thrill rides.

I don't think that the family aspect has anything to do with it. I've seen young kids who barely meet the height requirements go on anything and everything, and I've seen adults sit to the side and watch their kids on the big coasters more times than I can count. If anything, I think that very young kids like what you call the "big thrill rides" even more than call adults of people "not in a family."

Maybe the concept that you're referring to is "Least Common Denominator" type attractions.

jaklgreen

I don't think that the family aspect has anything to do with it. I've seen young kids who barely meet the height requirements go on anything and everything, and I've seen adults sit to the side and watch their kids on the big coasters more times than I can count. If anything, I think that very young kids like what you call the "big thrill rides" even more than call adults of people "not in a family."

Maybe the concept that you're referring to is "Least Common Denominator" type attractions.

I think you have completely lost the train of what we were talking about. We were not discussing individual's likes, but Disney parks as a whole. I was saying the Disney is unique in that it has a majority of it's rides that anyone can ride, as opposed to many amusement parks where they focus on the big thrill rides. Which is what people obviously want since WDW is the biggest, and the busiest theme park in this country.

Trackmaster

I think you have completely lost the train of what we were talking about. We were not discussing individual's likes, but Disney parks as a whole. I was saying the Disney is unique in that it has a majority of it's rides that anyone can ride, as opposed to many amusement parks where they focus on the big thrill rides. Which is what people obviously want since WDW is the biggest, and the busiest theme park in this country.

Yeah, hence the "Least Common Denominator" mentality. You're just trying to make it polite and use the euphemism of "family" for some reason. Tons of parks try to make rides for people who are boring and have nothing interesting about them so that nobody will be turned away. Disney is only unique in the sense that they spend tons of money, have top notch IPs, and do a very good job at what they do.

LaughingGravy

We had a first hand account of a family with 2 kids, aged 6 and 4, who went as a family for the first time.
DD grew up going to WDW as a kid. DW had never been.
I'll call this the average family from the OP, keeping in mind they never went on any forums and just wanted some suggestions.

They were blown away. Well. DW and the kids were. DH had a good time, but he knew to book the proper hotel.
Good for them (yes, I'm jealous) money wasn't an object. They stayed in the Contemporary tower, park view.

They were not overwhelmed with the planning process. They did get fast passes and enjoyed them when available. They took in what they could and really appreciated the hotel ( ya think?) as a place to take a time out in the day. DD was six and was scared by something, and a castmember brought them to a quiet one on one meeting with Chewbacca. It was described simply as Disney magic to us. They will be back.

Now, that's an unusual situation. Is an average guest someone with money as no object with a monorail hotel?
Or is an average guest someone who budgets with an all star hotel or off site and treks in each day, and deals with buses or parking fees each day? That's another situation.

The family did go to all four parks and did enjoy all, but MK was the runaway favorite.

Trackmaster

We had a first hand account of a family with 2 kids, aged 6 and 4, who went as a family for the first time.
DD grew up going to WDW as a kid. DW had never been.
I'll call this the average family from the OP, keeping in mind they never went on any forums and just wanted some suggestions.

They were blown away. Well. DW and the kids were. DH had a good time, but he knew to book the proper hotel.
Good for them (yes, I'm jealous) money wasn't an object. They stayed in the Contemporary tower, park view.

They were not overwhelmed with the planning process. They did get fast passes and enjoyed them when available. They took in what they could and really appreciated the hotel ( ya think?) as a place to take a time out in the day. DD was six and was scared by something, and a castmember brought them to a quiet one on one meeting with Chewbacca. It was described simply as Disney magic to us. They will be back.

Now, that's an unusual situation. Is an average guest someone with money as no object with a monorail hotel?
Or is an average guest someone who budgets with an all star hotel or off site and treks in each day, and deals with buses or parking fees each day? That's another situation.

It doesn't matter to Disney. They can charge whatever they want and do whatever they want, and the park will be nearly filled to capacity either way. For as much as people complain about it, they keep coming back.

LaughingGravy

We are coming back, but it's not to WDW anytime soon, unless things change, which is why the forums are frequented.
DL and DCA is next. TDA>TDO. More available park hours per dollar, no or minimal up charges or get kicked out, closer walks. more trees, shade, and places to sit down.

po1998

We are coming back, but it's not to WDW anytime soon, unless things change, which is why the forums are frequented.
DL and DCA is next. TDA>TDO. More available park hours per dollar, no or minimal up charges or get kicked out, closer walks. more trees, shade, and places to sit down.
...and paper FP's! 👍

disneyworlddad

So my parents are coming with my family and my brothers family this summer. They have been once before about 30 years ago.

MK- this is where all the rides are at right?
Epcot - What do we do here? Its the one with all the countries right?
HS- there isn't anything there right i would like right? (they aren't thrill ride people)
AK - its like a zoo so we can do a half day there.

eliza61nyc

So my parents are coming with my family and my brothers family this summer. They have been once before about 30 years ago.

MK- this is where all the rides are at right?
Epcot - What do we do here? Its the one with all the countries right?
HS- there isn't anything there right i would like right? (they aren't thrill ride people)
AK - its like a zoo so we can do a half day there.
:D😄
And this is where you make a suggestion to pick up either a guide book or tell them to visit a website.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom