Haunted Mansion Changing Portrait Update

The Empress Lilly

- The lighting wasn't good last trip. The effect was too dim. Subtlety is good (did I really just see that?), but the scene needed to be a bit brighter.

- The scene is better without drapes. The fun is that these are actual paintings, so you need to see the hangings. That was not a flaw, but a design choice. By covering the hangings and most of the frame with drapes, leaving just the painting itself in view, it looks like you are hiding a show trick, like you have just some screens.

erasure fan1

.....I’m sorry but do we need to hate every new thing that shows up in the parks?
If it is not as good as what was there before, yes. It's not that most hate change, most I think will welcome it. But when Disney changes things that didn't need to change, and it's a step backwards, people won't like it. I will have to see if there are any other vids out there, but from this one, it looks bad and just isn't convincing. Maybe it's better in person or they are still adjusting. Either way, from this look it is a step back.

BigThunderMatt

Thank God for Frontier Developments... cause Lord knows Atari can't make a RollerCoaster Tycoon game.
also... yeah DL version doesn't look much better.

Yeah unfortunately to run something like this at max graphical settings with guests in your park you need a NASA supercomputer to get decent FPS. It's a pretty game but it's optimized like crap.

TrainsOfDisney

I would doubt that day to day cm’s can change the programming of the lighting in an attraction. When maintenance changed the lights to LED they probably continued to run at the previously programmed settings, which is going to be too bright now with the LED fixtures. Something like that will be fixed... I don’t think it’s worth too much concern. Ha.

GlacierGlacier

Yeah unfortunately to run something like this at max graphical settings with guests in your park you need a NASA supercomputer to get decent FPS. It's a pretty game but it's optimized like crap.
Eh, any game which mixes simulation and user generated content has optimization woes. When users create beautifully intricate structures with hundreds of individual parts - and then copy that structure a dozen times around the park, it starts to chug. Then you pour hundreds of guests in with simulated behavior and pathfinding, and try and make it at a big scale... Yeah.

Parkitect is fun too.

Animaniac93-98

Before Before: ;)

pictures.PNG

And another view of flashing/hanging:

1547924365889.png

DisneyDebRob

Do the portraits still...change? God, I hope so. I can't tell from that video at all. I mean, it looks like the lightning is lighting up the whole picture, and not just the changes (the snakes on Medusa, etc. ). My god, surely TDO didn't destroy the effect altogether as its idea of an "update" or "improvement"?
On our trip in December, rode it 4 or 5 times. Never once saw any of them change. Was hoping they were just working on something and didn’t have it right yet. Month later and it still looks like when I saw it. Terrible.

Magenta Panther

On our trip in December, rode it 4 or 5 times. Never once saw any of them change. Was hoping they were just working on something and didn’t have it right yet. Month later and it still looks like when I saw it. Terrible.

Really? My GOD. How long has that effect been working perfectly until this "update"?

Can't TDO do ANYTHING right? It was bad enough reading that Tower of Terror's effects have been "updated" so that they're less effective, and now the Haunted Mansion too? What kind of imbeciles are running WDW now? Martin, do you know anything about this?

To TDO: See, this is how the portrait effect is SUPPOSED to work: we're supposed to see, for instance, a reasonably-lit portrait of a demure young girl. Then there's a flash of lightning from the window opposite, and the light reveals that the girl is anything but, because for a brief instant during that flash of light we see that she has a hideous face and snakes for hair. Then when the flash vanishes the portrait goes back to normal. THERE. GOT IT NOW? CAN YOU PLEASE FIX THE EFFECT YOU MESSED UP?

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

.....I’m sorry but do we need to hate every new thing that shows up in the parks? I personally love it. Half the time, I could barely notice the effect before the update. I don’t care what technology it uses. It looks nice. This is not an effect worth putting under a microscope.

Well, aren't you precious and easily pleased. But the rest of us prefer effects that WORK, thank you. The portraits aren't supposed to look "nice", they're supposed to look frightening. They're changing portraits, not blacklight posters. :banghead:

yensidtlaw1969

Before Before: ;)

View attachment 342037

And another view of flashing/hanging:

View attachment 342038
Can we take a moment to talk about how I miss that original Black and Orange Wallpaper? It felt much more appropriate to me than what's there now, which feels like a peach wash on the wall. I understand they may not have had more to put up when they redid the scene, but . . . *womp womp*.

Looking around Youtube, it does seem that for a while in the late part of 2018 the effect was entirely shut off and black fabric covered the wall behind the portraits, suggesting that work was happening in this scene. Perhaps they had to get into the wall while updating the lighting? It seems like the debut of the new light coincided with the disappearing of the black fabric.

It also seems like the reclining woman painting was either fixed or replaced, since her canvas had been bulging in a weird way for a while and with the new light she doesn't seem to be anymore.

I'm optimistic that within a few weeks this will be working well, as usual. We'll have to keep an eye on this, and the light levels in the Attic, which are also newly over-bright.

peter11435

Didn’t they used to close attractions for a short time for what was that called...refurbishment?
Would you rather have the entire attraction closed so that nobody can ride it as opposed to a single show element working slightly different then intended while they work on upgrading it?

I’m all for closing attractions to conduct refurbishment when necessary. But sometimes you have to find ways to minimize downtime’s while still providing upgrades and maintenance.

Jones14

It looked good in person when we rode it yesterday. Videos almost never do an attraction justice, especially one like Haunted Mansion where most of the effects are achieved through lighting changes.

I will say the ballroom needs some work, though. Some of the ghosts are barely showing up, while others are way too easy to see, even when they should be disappearing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom