Mickey's Mix Magic - New Firework Show 2019

Disney Analyst

Let’s not forget that during Steve Davidson’s peak there was a lot less meddling from the higher ups on creative show decisions.

Around the debut of World of Color is when they started taking a severe interest and making their own changes. Lest we forget the original concept of WOC which was programmed and tested and then altered last minute.

Someone like Steve hasn’t suddenly lost his mojo, he is following strict orders from above. Believe me; he hated what happened to World or Color Winter Dreams, which is why it’s amazing Season of Light happened, it’s one of the strongest WOC they’ve done.

TTA94

Steve, to my knowledge, is in charge of WDWs next version of Illuminations. Very nervous for that as many are. Steve really needs to hit that one out of the water. Major shoes to fill from Reflections of Earth, and Steve and the higher ups, mostly higher ups I feel, are playing a VERY risky move including IP. It’s already sounding very much like Tokyo’s Fantasmic.

TrainsOfDisney

“Let’s not forget that during Steve Davidson’s peak there was a lot less meddling from the higher ups on creative show decisions.”

Yeah that’s why I never blamed him for the world of color 60. It seemed very much like he was doing what he could with a corporate idea. I mean what creative show producer would say “oh let’s get NPH to host this so it looks like a tv show documentary with lots of expensive fountains around it”

Still... this just looks really..... low quality.

Disney Analyst

“Let’s not forget that during Steve Davidson’s peak there was a lot less meddling from the higher ups on creative show decisions.”

Yeah that’s why I never blamed him for the world of color 60. It seemed very much like he was doing what he could with a corporate idea. I mean what creative show producer would say “oh let’s get NPH to host this so it looks like a tv show documentary with lots of expensive fountains around it”

Still... this just looks really..... low quality.

According to reports (yes I know invited media is hard to believe) the lighting, lasers, and effects are great. I assume as usual the complaints will be about song choice, and to some degree using the new Mickey cartoon looks.

VJ

Let’s not forget that during Steve Davidson’s peak there was a lot less meddling from the higher ups on creative show decisions.

Around the debut of World of Color is when they started taking a severe interest and making their own changes. Lest we forget the original concept of WOC which was programmed and tested and then altered last minute.

Someone like Steve hasn’t suddenly lost his mojo, he is following strict orders from above. Believe me; he hated what happened to World or Color Winter Dreams, which is why it’s amazing Season of Light happened, it’s one of the strongest WOC they’ve done.
The first version of Winter Dreams (most notably "OLAF PRESENTS!!!") was a lot worse than the second, so I can kinda believe that... I dunno, I'm still a bit skeptical that TDO's entertainment division can pretty much do whatever they want while TDA's is on a tight leash of "you have 5 movies to choose from, do not deviate. IP only. save money everywhere you can." If there's so much executive meddling, what's the point of having Davison and his team, or a Creative Entertainment division at all? The buck has to stop somewhere.

brb1006

This whole Mickey Celebration seems geared towards the two and under crowd. I feel like we're watching the Disney channel during preschool time.
It's very disappointing for the way both Disneyland and Walt Disney World are honoring Mickey's 90th Birthday. Considering there was a time when both parks used to go all out for previous character anniversaries.

Especially when both parks honored Mickey's 50th and 60th Birthday and Donald Duck's 50th Birthday by both creating a special Birthday parade
mick50parade9.jpg

mick50parade10tn.jpg

2012_07_28_18_42_21.jpg

And a special street show for Mickeys 60th Birthday in 1988

The last time Disney actually honored a character's major anniversary was for Goofy's 60th Birthday with "The World According To Goofy Parade" in 1992 exclusively at Disneyland.

Nowadays it's cupcakes and a small anniversary cavalcade.

Last edited:

brb1006

Well, I'm reminded of that parade from some years back, which fired confetti as it went along. Surprising that for an anniversary celebration of Disney's most iconic figure that they decide now is the time to abandon the nostalgic approach. Incidentally, some have spoken up for the use of the new cartoon style, but in my view this soundtrack matches it perfectly.
You must be referring to Donald Duck's 50th Birthday Parade when the final float featuring Donald, Scrooge, Ludwig, and Grandma Duck fired confetti in time with the parade's music. I seen video footage of the confetti going off in good quality but that video is deleted. But it can be seen in this video.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

The first version of Winter Dreams (most notably "OLAF PRESENTS!!!") was a lot worse than the second, so I can kinda believe that... I dunno, I'm still a bit skeptical that TDO's entertainment division can pretty much do whatever they want while TDA's is on a tight leash of "you have 5 movies to choose from, do not deviate. IP only. save money everywhere you can." If there's so much executive meddling, what's the point of having Davison and his team, or a Creative Entertainment division at all? The buck has to stop somewhere.

As show director, it's Davison's job to sell management on his vision of the show. Yes, there will always be budget cuts and meddling, but a good director is able to get his vision across. Yeah, it sucks management wants to have the popular IP's in each show- but it's Davison's job to ensure that show is still good.

SuddenStorm

According to reports (yes I know invited media is hard to believe) the lighting, lasers, and effects are great. I assume as usual the complaints will be about song choice, and to some degree using the new Mickey cartoon looks.

Much like the new Fantasmic and Together Forever- Disney seems to have forgotten that the lighting, lasers, projections, and other effects are just tools to deliver the show- if the only good thing we can say about the show is that "It has good effects", than they've failed.

If the media was reporting that the show was "an instant classic that pays respect to classic Mickey, all while integrating more current Disney properties for an experience that transcends generations. Oh, and the technology Disney has implemented is stunning!" I'd be far more excited.

D.Silentu

You must be referring to Donald Duck's 50th Birthday Parade when the final float featuring Donald, Scrooge, Ludwig, and Grandma Duck fired confetti in time with the parade's music.
Thank you, however I did a search and what I'm thinking of turns out to be "Celebrate: A Street Party." Apparently so memorable I had to search for the name! What I do remember of it seems unfortunately similar to this new show. I always felt bad for the custodians cleaning up all that confetti.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hey just wait, in 2028 it’ll be Mickey’s 100th and it’ll be an all virtual experience. So that way if you don’t like it you can just ignore it, and laugh at all the people having a good time watching the experience with their Disney+ Streaming Glasses (think Google Glass) and earbuds dancing around Main St. ;):p:cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom