Tacit differences between Value - Moderate - Deluxe

Bronson55

One of the things that I really appreciate are the inside doors in Deluxe resorts. During fowl weather and especially hurricanes the difference is huge. My sister was trapped in the furthest building from the lobby and food courts at the AOA resort and couldn't leave their room throughout the storm. I was at the Beach Club and was able to travel from one end of the Beach club to the far end of the Yacht Club with all the amenities, shops, food courts, restaurants,ceramic classes, gym plus all kinds of Disney character entertainment while high and dry. It actually was a fun time. Not so for my sister who was hungry and had a severe case of cabin fever. Sure you wouldn't base a resort selection on fowl weather but it sure makes a difference when needed.

daisyduckie

I haven't found that the guests that stay at Deluxe resorts are automatically better behaved and nicer than those at the Values. It depends on the guest. Money doesn't buy class or manners. Not to mention the guests who stay at the Values are not automatically poor and those at the Deluxe resorts rich. No way to draw a line between Deluxe resorts and better behaved guests in my experience.

clarabellej

As I type this, I'm sitting on a brand new queen bed at Pop.

Quality does go up, but not by much. And if a mod or luxe that hasn't bought new beds in a while might have a lesser bed experience then a tier below them.
Just for the record the new Murphy beds at Pop are very comfortable, very quality mattresses. I was actually concerned about those and they turned out to be really nice “real” beds! I believe the awful trundle beds in the moderate Port Orleans Riverside have been replaced. My daughter refused to sleep on that. So our experience was certainly not beds getting better at higher priced resort. Can’t speak for Deluxe, but at those prices the beds better be fit for KINGS and Queens LOL!

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I have stayed at all levels, stayed at a Value once, never again. I found it the opposite of relaxing when I want to wind down in the evening. That is all I will say about Values as I don’t have anything nice to add about my experience with Values.

I have stayed at Moderates a hand full of times, nothing really ill to say about them except the room layout with the bathroom etc. I don’t like having no balcony and no ability to walk, take a boat, or monorail to the parks. I would stay in a Moderate again if we needed to.

We only stay at Deluxe's at this point (we even bought DVC now). I find them more peaceful and relaxing overall. Typically better amenities with in the room, food options, transportation options, CM’s quality etc.

What is the cheapest Deluxe option, and at what time? I'm paying 200 a night for a Moderate and that's right around my budget unfortunately. The Deluxe's were 400+ if my memory serves right.

PrincessNelly_NJ

What is the cheapest Deluxe option, and at what time? I'm paying 200 a night for a Moderate and that's right around my budget unfortunately. The Deluxe's were 400+ if my memory serves right.
WL & AKL are generally the cheapest. I don't know rack rates but I was able to help a friend book WL for $230 (w/tax) a night in Sept and my in laws stayed at AKL for about $245 (w/tax) around the same time. We just came back from FQ and paid $160 a night pre tax. 2019 will be interesting as they will probably start scaling back % on those room discounts. We rented DVC for next trip just to avoid the hoping of a room discount.

jaklgreen

WL & AKL are generally the cheapest. I don't know rack rates but I was able to help a friend book WL for $230 (w/tax) a night in Sept and my in laws stayed at AKL for about $245 (w/tax) around the same time. We just came back from FQ and paid $160 a night pre tax. 2019 will be interesting as they will probably start scaling back % on those room discounts. We rented DVC for next trip just to avoid the hoping of a room discount.

I would like to know how you got those prices. Please share.

jaklgreen

I use a certain travel agency. I don't know if we are allowed to share them publicly on these boards. But I'm happy to pass on their information in a private message if you are interested.

I did not realize that travel agencies got such good deals. You would think that they would advertise these amazing prices.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I did not realize that travel agencies got such good deals. You would think that they would advertise these amazing prices.

Not all agencies do get these rates. Some agencies reserve blocks of rooms and Disney extends special pricing to them. They then pass those rates down to us! 😊

jaklgreen

Not all agencies do get these rates. Some agencies reserve blocks of rooms and Disney extends special pricing to them. They then pass those rates down to us! 😊

I don't think that that is a good thing. It creates a false occupancy rate and jacks up the prices. Plus you should always get the best rate from booking directly. I am surprised that Disney allows travel agencies to do that.

DisneyJoe

I don't think that that is a good thing. It creates a false occupancy rate and jacks up the prices. Plus you should always get the best rate from booking directly. I am surprised that Disney allows travel agencies to do that.
Anyone, even you, or a dance studio or other group, can enter into a group contract with Disney to get group rates. You only need to guarantee 10 rooms or more.

Expedia etc can do it too.

For agencies that do this, it is highly speculative, and they can lose much money - as well as paint themselves as a Walmart type agency where clients will only book with them when they have a group rate, if they don't, they lose business. The business they do get runs on razor thin profit margins.

Last edited:

PrincessNelly_NJ

Not necessarily. Because they sign a contract with Disney. Disney knows exactly what % of rooms are allocated to these travel agencies vs booked another way. For Disney, it's guaranteed money. It's the travel agency that absorbs all the risk.

lewisc

To the original questions:
  1. Check in is the same. Online check in, bring your magic bands and your room number will be texted to you.
  2. Children. There are a lot of kids in Disney. Some are behaved better then others. Kids in deluxe hotels aren't any different then kids in value resorts. Some posters want to stereotype. "Spoiled, entitled" rich kids aren't any better behaved then middle class kids. Kids are generally well behaved but exceptions occur in all resort classes. One exception. Group kids groups are more likely to be booked in the All-Stars. Second exception CSR is a business/convention resort. Many conventioneers bring their kids some don't.
  3. Transportation. Value and moderate resorts supply bus transportation to the parks. Deluxe hotels generally offer one other form of transportation to some parks, boat or monorail. AKL is bus only.

Disney is starting to reduce the differences between the resort classes.

1. Renovated value and moderate resorts are getting Queen beds.
  2. Disney is getting rid of the environmental wasteful small bottle of shampoo... in all resorts. By the end of the year even the deluxe resorts are expected to have the wall mounted dispensers.
  3. The Skyliner is going to service a value resort and moderate resort.
  4. Room service used to be exclusive to deluxe resorts. I'm pretty sure 24 hour room service is history in the resorts. Even value resorts offer limited delivery of some food items.

Deluxe resorts have interior corridors, balconies and patios. This makes the resort seem quieter and allows you access to main building (food) in inclement weather.

Networth

To the original questions:
  1. Check in is the same. Online check in, bring your magic bands and your room number will be texted to you. Yes, most the time. Unless you need to go to the front desk for anything. Than you will be standing on a longer line at a value most times.
  2. Children. There are a lot of kids in Disney. Some are behaved better then others. Kids in deluxe hotels aren't any different then kids in value resorts. Some posters want to stereotype. "Spoiled, entitled" rich kids aren't any better behaved then middle class kids. Kids are generally well behaved but exceptions occur in all resort classes. One exception. Group kids groups are more likely to be booked in the All-Stars. Second exception CSR is a business/convention resort. Many conventioneers bring their kids some don't. I feel the larger the resort means more kids. Which probably makes it “feel” worse at the values. You are correct though, that money doesn’t buy class or manners unfortunately.
  3. Transportation. Value and moderate resorts supply bus transportation to the parks. Deluxe hotels generally offer one other form of transportation to some parks, boat or monorail. AKL is bus only. Some have multiple modes to one or two parks I.e. Monorail, walking, & boat.

Disney is starting to reduce the differences between the resort classes. So Disney can charge more across the board and have higher prices for specific resorts, based off location and amenities.

1. Renovated value and moderate resorts are getting Queen beds. As they finally should.
  2. Disney is getting rid of the environmental wasteful small bottle of shampoo... in all resorts. By the end of the year even the deluxe resorts are expected to have the wall mounted dispensers.
  3. The Skyliner is going to service a value resort and moderate resorts. See above about price based solely off each resort. No more value, moderate or deluxe.
  4. Room service used to be exclusive to deluxe resorts. I'm pretty sure 24 hour room service is history in the resorts. Even value resorts offer limited delivery of some food items. Some still have 24/7 Quick service. Also real room service with a menu vs. just lack luster pizza.

Deluxe resorts have interior corridors, balconies and patios. This makes the resort seem quieter and allows you access to main building (food) in inclement weather. Yup, yup.

Last edited:

DisneyJoe

Deluxe resorts have interior corridors, balconies and patios. This makes the resort seem quieter and allows you access to main building (food) in inclement weather.
Yes, but - some have separate buildings where you still need to go out in the inclement weather - ie. GF, Poly, CR - some DVC resorts.

YankeeMouse

Bigger difference between Value and Moderate than Moderate to Deluxe. Have stayed all 3 categories. Like the inner hallways at Deluxe for sure. Kids are kids everywhere. But more space around the common areas is always nice and you can get that at Moderate if you want to forgo spas, concierge, that type of thing.

lewisc

Bigger difference between Value and Moderate than Moderate to Deluxe. Have stayed all 3 categories. Like the inner hallways at Deluxe for sure. Kids are kids everywhere. But more space around the common areas is always nice and you can get that at Moderate if you want to forgo spas, concierge, that type of thing.
I'll respectfully disagree. To me the biggest difference is the difference between moderate and deluxe. You're picking up interior corridors (which means balconies and patios), signature dining, much more elaborate themeing , and better transportation options. The upgrade from value gives you a bigger room and restaurant. Being able to walk (or take a boat) from the EPCOT resorts to EPCOT and DHS is a big difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom