Tacit differences between Value - Moderate - Deluxe

eliza61nyc

As I type this, I'm sitting on a brand new queen bed at Pop.

Quality does go up, but not by much. And if a mod or luxe that hasn't bought new beds in a while might have a lesser bed experience then a tier below them.
but I will point out the word "new". for the longest times the values had nothing but fulls. I think in 2106 was when they started expanding. we use to fly in late and spend the night at a value but stopped because of the tiny beds. all stars still have doubles

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
but I will point out the word "new". for the longest times the values had nothing but fulls. I think in 2106 was when they started expanding. we use to fly in late and spend the night at a value but stopped because of the tiny beds. all stars still have doubles
All the better to charge you more, my dear!
tenor.gif

jaklgreen

The 'bed is a bed' comment also stood out to me because the one time we stayed at a moderate, our rooms had horrible beds. Sure, it met my requirement of being at least a queen, but I could feel the springs in my back and hips and it squeaked horribly every time I rolled over. I didn't bother to request a new room because both beds in this room and the beds in the separate room my parents had booked were equally as awful. i.e. if multiple rooms have horrible beds, switching rooms isn't likely to fix this problem. In fact, we've found the mattress quality at WL and AKL to be inferior to what you find at the Epcot and Monorail resorts. So, I really feel they pair bed quality (and bedding quality) to resort class/price.

I also agree on the space matter. Yes, I tend to be a bit more claustrophobic, but the bathroom set up in our POR room was ridiculously cramped. I felt like we had to hurdle the toilet to get in and out of the shower, which made the area a sloppy soggy mess. The rest of the room space felt like the room space you get at WL and AKL...but I also find those pretty cramped too if you're not in a bunk bed room. It's easier to tolerate in a summer trip where we don't have as much luggage because summer clothes take up more space, but we have to pack a lot more for winter trips because of varying temps...which takes up a lot more room space...even if you unpack. As it was...we had very little room for our summer stuff and unpacked luggage at POR. I had to stack things under the table just to make space.

I also missed having a balcony/patio. I know that you're not guaranteed one at every deluxe resort, but if you plan your room requests accordingly, you have a pretty good chance of having one. You'll never have one at a mod. I know some people say they'd never use it since they are in the parks from open to close, but it's so nice to go out on your balcony for a quick breakfast or a late night drink...especially if you have a view. I loved my early morning breakfasts at AKL while looking out on the safari and I remember sitting on ours at WL and watching what we could see of fireworks from MK while having a couple of beers.

Finally, I'd always heard about buses bursting at the seams at the end of the night. We've had some crowded bus situations at the deluxe resorts, but nothing like what we saw at the mods. When we stayed at POR...every single night the buses were insane...regardless of park. Buses going to the park were fine and transport time wasn't any better or worse than staying at some of the deluxe resorts, but end of the night...WOW! It made me wish we had just driven our own vehicle.

FWIW, they will switch out just the mattress for you if you ask. I checked into POFQ once and the bed was horrible. I walked down to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager and nicely explained to her that the mattress was well past it's prime. I went to the parks and when I came back later, they had switched the mattress out.

Last edited:

bunnyman

For those of you who don't know, I have a trip planned in January 2019. After some extensive research we've decided to stay at the Coronado Springs Resort, thanks to the discount pricing of "Magic your Way". I know about some of the differences but i'm still open to learning more. I understand that it may be difficult to get a solid conclusion, taking into account the number of values / moderates / deluxes and their locations..

But as a whole, what are the "hidden" differences between the three?
For example..
1. Does check-in, check-out tend to be more convenient in Deluxe?
2. Are crowds / children generally better behaved?
3. Does traveling point A to point B require less effort? Hotel to Park, Park to Hotel, Hotel to Car, etc.

I'd like to hear your experiences, biases; heck anything you'd like to contribute.

To be honest, based on your example, I've had long check in lines at deluxes, I've walked quite far to car at deluxes, the deluxe buses aren't necessarily the shortest walk to the bus depot at the parks, and depending on where your room is walking to the hotel bus depot can be quite a hike (i.e. Yacht and Beach Club). At my age with older kids, I prefer the deluxes for the larger rooms, the availability of more varied dining (i.e. not just a food court or family restaurant), a nicer lounge, better pool theming, etc. That being said, I have no problem with the moderates, while the values always feel a little bit cramped. It usually boils down to how long we'll be staying and how much we want to spend.

righttrack

The Deluxes are smaller resorts usually (exception being POFQ) and that makes them a bit more manageable, especially after a hard day in the parks.

CaptainAmerica

The CM language barrier can be very real too. If you speak English, more native English speaking Cast are at Deluxes, with fewer at Mods, and fewest at Values.
Most guest-facing CMs at Animal Kingdom Lodge are from Africa and they're generally amazing. I agree with your general point about higher quality CMs, but "native English" is oversimplifying.

surfsupdon

Most guest-facing CMs at Animal Kingdom Lodge are from Africa and they're generally amazing. I agree with your general point about higher quality CMs, but "native English" is oversimplifying.
I disagree. Having just returned from AKL in November, the CMs from Africa were the cultural representatives, stationed in the lobby for games and facts, and out by the savannah and fire pit.

Front desk, concierge, bell services, gift shop, Mara, and recreation spoke terrific English, night and day change from the barrier that can exist at a Value.

I understand your point (and it was worth mentioning) bc the African cultural representatives were the HIGHLIGHT of AKL. Friendly, compassionate, knowledgeable, and genuinely amazing to speak with. Cannot rave enough about them.

correcaminos

I disagree. Having just returned from AKL in November, the CMs from Africa were the cultural representatives, stationed in the lobby for games and facts, and out by the savannah and fire pit.

Front desk, concierge, bell services, gift shop, Mara, and recreation spoke terrific English, night and day change from the barrier that can exist at a Value.

I understand your point (and it was worth mentioning) bc the African cultural representatives were the HIGHLIGHT of AKL. Friendly, compassionate, knowledgeable, and genuinely amazing to speak with. Cannot rave enough about them.

Still "native language" is oversimplifying. I have family who spoke another language first. Then at about 2-3 they learned English (even living here in the US). You'd never know by talking to them. Just because another language is native to someone is deficient in another. Bilingual is a real thing.

dreamfinder

Size, decor, and amenities.

As you go up in resort class, the rooms should get larger, and have slightly more upscale amenities. These will range from quality of things in the room, to type and level of services offered by the resort itself. IE values have food court and pizza delivery, moderates typically will add table service, and then deluxe will add full blown room service.

Things like service and guest behavior is completely random and at whim and different from day to day. I've had great service at a value and terrible service at a deluxe, and the same for guest behavior.

jaklgreen

Still "native language" is oversimplifying. I have family who spoke another language first. Then at about 2-3 they learned English (even living here in the US). You'd never know by talking to them. Just because another language is native to someone is deficient in another. Bilingual is a real thing.

My family is the exact same way. My parent's generation all came over from the "old Country" and all learned how to speak English. My generation is bi-lingual but you would never realize it by talking to my because I don't have the accent that the older generation does. I don't think that there is any excuse for someone who is born and raised in this Country(or have been here at least a decade) to not be fluent in English. Many, many people still speak their native tongue and English just fine.

wlodge_man

For those of you who don't know, I have a trip planned in January 2019. After some extensive research we've decided to stay at the Coronado Springs Resort, thanks to the discount pricing of "Magic your Way". I know about some of the differences but i'm still open to learning more. I understand that it may be difficult to get a solid conclusion, taking into account the number of values / moderates / deluxes and their locations..

But as a whole, what are the "hidden" differences between the three?
For example..
1. Does check-in, check-out tend to be more convenient in Deluxe?
2. Are crowds / children generally better behaved?
3. Does traveling point A to point B require less effort? Hotel to Park, Park to Hotel, Hotel to Car, etc.

I'd like to hear your experiences, biases; heck anything you'd like to contribute.

I would like to share my opinion on your choice. I agree that we don't spend a lot of time in our rooms, but I think that the most important decision (well, price too) is where you plan on spending the most time on property. If you are planning on spending more time in the Magic Kingdom, then I would suggest that you look at resorts that are closer [or have more convenient transportation] to that park. Deluxe, as some have said, usually mean a shorter time from resort to park, but it depends on what resort and what park. Not sure if you have small children, but location is even more important if you want to return to your resort to give the kids a rest.

I don't think this was mentioned, but why not split your trip between 2 resorts? We did it, it's not that big of a deal as the CM's move your luggage while you're at the parks. This way if you're torn between 2 resorts, or you want to move your home base as you focus on different parks, you can. Plus then you get to experience 2 resorts in 1 trip!

The resorts are great; visited several but only have stayed at 2 resorts in all our trips. I guess you'll figure out what my favorite is. ;)

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I would like to share my opinion on your choice. I agree that we don't spend a lot of time in our rooms, but I think that the most important decision (well, price too) is where you plan on spending the most time on property. If you are planning on spending more time in the Magic Kingdom, then I would suggest that you look at resorts that are closer [or have more convenient transportation] to that park. Deluxe, as some have said, usually mean a shorter time from resort to park, but it depends on what resort and what park. Not sure if you have small children, but location is even more important if you want to return to your resort to give the kids a rest.

I don't think this was mentioned, but why not split your trip between 2 resorts? We did it, it's not that big of a deal as the CM's move your luggage while you're at the parks. This way if you're torn between 2 resorts, or you want to move your home base as you focus on different parks, you can. Plus then you get to experience 2 resorts in 1 trip!

The resorts are great; visited several but only have stayed at 2 resorts in all our trips. I guess you'll figure out what my favorite is. ;)

I like your ideas. This is my first trip to WDW in over 10 years and in my mind, I wanted to make this as easy as possible. I thought about tacking on an extra day at a cheaper hotel but ultimately decided against it. 5 days with 5 day park hopper is a good enough start for me haha.

I'm hoping that some day in the future i'll be able to afford a few nights at a Deluxe. That'll be the day(s) :)

Networth

I have stayed at all levels, stayed at a Value once, never again. I found it the opposite of relaxing when I want to wind down in the evening. That is all I will say about Values as I don’t have anything nice to add about my experience with Values.

I have stayed at Moderates a hand full of times, nothing really ill to say about them except the room layout with the bathroom etc. I don’t like having no balcony and no ability to walk, take a boat, or monorail to the parks. I would stay in a Moderate again if we needed to.

We only stay at Deluxe's at this point (we even bought DVC now). I find them more peaceful and relaxing overall. Typically better amenities with in the room, food options, transportation options, CM’s quality etc.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

I'd agree with you there, most of the CM's from the continent of Africa speak English better than most of us with a more precise vocabulary.

righttrack

Maybe its just us but after being in the parks all day - walking the long hallways of deluxe resorts feel just as long as the walks at the moderate resorts from the bus depots.

Sometimes, yes. I always said to my wife, I want to be dropped off at the door, take an elevator and fall into bed. Very few resorts, even the deluxes have that. Closest to that is actually the Swan/Dolphin.

daisyduckie

Sometimes, yes. I always said to my wife, I want to be dropped off at the door, take an elevator and fall into bed. Very few resorts, even the deluxes have that. Closest to that is actually the Swan/Dolphin.

And even at the Dolphin you can end up with a room heck and gone from the elevator. I counted last trip, and it was over 100 steps from getting off of the elevator before even turning down the hallway our room was in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom