Syrup

DisneyGigi

Most of the real Maple syrup I've come across is thinner and more liquid than the generic pancake syrup.
I keep it in the fridge, so it is thick. I usually only use it to cook with and it will mold left out. Maple Pork Loin is to die for, that and of course Maple Fudge.

Jon81uk

I keep it in the fridge, so it is thick. I usually only use it to cook with and it will mold left out. Maple Pork Loin is to die for, that and of course Maple Fudge.
My Costco maple syrup is also in the fridge and is still thinner than the golden syrup I keep at room temperature.

dreamfinder

The only downside I see to the packets is cost. They are really expensive.

List price for a case of 20 is the same as a case of 24 Stinger gels. So relatively in line with what one would pay for a mostly natural energy gel product. Not at all what one would want to pay for pancakes though.

And even if you compare to real syrup, while I can't easily find the nip sized bottles online, I think they are usually $2-3 per at the maple houses around me. So still relatively in line. The real stuff ain't cheap.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My Costco maple syrup is also in the fridge and is still thinner than the golden syrup I keep at room temperature.

The real stuff is thinner than the corn syrup/HFCS fake stuff. I would never be able to finish a Costco size bottle of maple syrup...and theirs is very good. My daughter dislikes the real stuff. :eek: I know....

righttrack

We have traveled with a couple from Vermont. They brought their own beer and syrup everywhere they went. They said, and they are right, that once you get used to the best, you just can't have the other stuff.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The real stuff is thinner than the corn syrup/HFCS fake stuff. I would never be able to finish a Costco size bottle of maple syrup...and theirs is very good. My daughter dislikes the real stuff. :eek: I know....
That is not an uncommon opinion in the states. In fact, in most surveys, the fake stuff has about 90% +/- of the market in the US.

bigrigross

You know, I used to get so grossed out when my grandfather would put pure corn syrup on his pancakes when I was kid. Didnt even know at the time that it was the exact same stuff I was eating except for some flavoring and color additives..... I cant stand the fake stuff now.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
List price for a case of 20 is the same as a case of 24 Stinger gels. So relatively in line with what one would pay for a mostly natural energy gel product. Not at all what one would want to pay for pancakes though.

And even if you compare to real syrup, while I can't easily find the nip sized bottles online, I think they are usually $2-3 per at the maple houses around me. So still relatively in line. The real stuff ain't cheap.

Close in price to my Stinger energy gels.

Fair enough. I guess if you want the best syrup, you have to be willing to pay extra for it.

Phonedave

You can just scrape the mold off the top and the rest will be fine. If you are antsy about it, just scrape the mold off and then boil it.

I have done this many times with malt syrup when making beer. Malt and maple syrup have too high of a sugar content to grow mold. However, on the very top, moisture in the air can dilute the sugar content to a point where it will support mold growth. So the top will have mold, but not the whole container.

One other way to prevent this aside from refrigeration (which is a pain with 20 lb tubs of malt) is to put something on the top of the syrup that will block the air and prevent the top layer of the syrup of getting diluted. I used to use a 1/8" layer of cheap vodka on my malt syrup (I also use it in my fermentation airlocks instead of water), but that may make for interesting pancakes.

DisneyGigi

You can just scrape the mold off the top and the rest will be fine. If you are antsy about it, just scrape the mold off and then boil it.

I have done this many times with malt syrup when making beer. Malt and maple syrup have too high of a sugar content to grow mold. However, on the very top, moisture in the air can dilute the sugar content to a point where it will support mold growth. So the top will have mold, but not the whole container.

One other way to prevent this aside from refrigeration (which is a pain with 20 lb tubs of malt) is to put something on the top of the syrup that will block the air and prevent the top layer of the syrup of getting diluted. I used to use a 1/8" layer of cheap vodka on my malt syrup (I also use it in my fermentation airlocks instead of water), but that may make for interesting pancakes.

The kind a I get comes in glass bottles with a tiny spout. I did try to scrape it with a knife but just ended up smearing it inside the bottle. I buy smaller amounts and keep it in the fridge just in case. Great information though, and I did have a Bloody Mary for breakfast at Disney soooo... 😂

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Tried the Untapped @larryz mentioned. A 1 oz pack is sufficient for a stack of pancakes. And it's pretty good syrup. Will be bringing to WDW next month as my energy choice for Marathon 10k.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom