RIP Stan Lee - Co-creator of Spider-Man, the Hulk and Many Others

lebeau

Original Poster
Stan Lee's impact on pop culture cannot be over-stated. He was a giant in comic books and that influence has spilled over into every other media you can think of. Most relevant to this forum, there would be no Marvel Superhero Island if not for Stan "the Man".

Excelsior!

JoeCamel

Stan Lee's impact on pop culture cannot be over-stated. He was a giant in comic books and that influence has spilled over into every other media you can think of. Most relevant to this forum, there would be no Marvel Superhero Island if not for Stan "the Man".

Excelsior!
Might want to put this in more places than the Universal thread....

lebeau

Original Poster
Might want to put this in more places than the Universal thread....

There's one in movies and animation as well as chit chat, I think we're good with Stan Lee posts, even though the news is very important (and very,very sad).

Yeah, I figured this would be discussed elsewhere but there should be something here for the Universal community. Marvel is a big part of the Universal experience.

DRD

What Stan Lee cameos are there in Marvel Superhero Island? I recall one in the Spiderman ride. Think I heard a reference to him in the Hulk queue on the loudspeaker (but I could be wrong). Any others I missed?

Tom Morrow

What Stan Lee cameos are there in Marvel Superhero Island? I recall one in the Spiderman ride. Think I heard a reference to him in the Hulk queue on the loudspeaker (but I could be wrong). Any others I missed?
He appears numerous times in Spider-Man and has a voiceover at the end. There are one or two references to him in the Hulk queue but none over the loudspeaker unless perhaps team members deliver one manually.

I think the main road in Marvel Superhero Island is called Stan Lee Blvd.

lebeau

Original Poster

As Tom Marrow pointed out, Stan is all over the Spider-Man ride. He's in the queue and the ride itself. In the Hulk queue, I remember a plaque that featured the names of several prominent Hulk creators including Lee.

DRD

I only rode Spiderman once so I appreciate you all jogging my memory. And yes, I remember now that the Hulk reference was his name on the wall rather than over the loudspeaker. I recall it being a "blink and you'll miss it" type thing. Thanks for helping me remember.

lebeau

Original Poster
I only rode Spiderman once so I appreciate you all jogging my memory. And yes, I remember now that the Hulk reference was his name on the wall rather than over the loudspeaker. I recall it being a "blink and you'll miss it" type thing. Thanks for helping me remember.

As a comic fan, I enjoyed all the tributes. It was good to see so many creators get a shout-out. Those guys rarely get the credit they deserve.

DRD

Aw man...I'm going to miss his voice so much. He had one of those "narrate your life moments" kind of voices. Maybe not the rich baritone of Morgan Freeman that people associate with that, but a great one nonetheless.

One of the things I've been conflicted about, but ultimately pleased overall with, is how eulogy writers have handled giving credit to his co-creators in their Stan Lee remembrances. Even tackling the strained relationships he had with Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. And doing so without making Lee out to be "the bad guy" but rather blaming it on the process...and celebrating Lee's uncanny ability to be pitchman for Marvel and the genre as a whole.

I wonder if Universal has done anything at Superhero Island to honor him? Like I could see the characters wearing black armbands this week as a way to pay homage to The Man.

lebeau

Original Poster
Aw man...I'm going to miss his voice so much. He had one of those "narrate your life moments" kind of voices. Maybe not the rich baritone of Morgan Freeman that people associate with that, but a great one nonetheless.

One of the things I've been conflicted about, but ultimately pleased overall with, is how eulogy writers have handled giving credit to his co-creators in their Stan Lee remembrances. Even tackling the strained relationships he had with Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. And doing so without making Lee out to be "the bad guy" but rather blaming it on the process...and celebrating Lee's uncanny ability to be pitchman for Marvel and the genre as a whole.

I wonder if Universal has done anything at Superhero Island to honor him? Like I could see the characters wearing black armbands this week as a way to pay homage to The Man.

I definitely agree about giving credit to Lee's collaborators. Jack Kirby had as much to do with early Marvel as Stan Lee did. That's not to take anything away from Lee. But Lee was, as you say, a natural pitchman and Kirby was a shy artist. So naturally, Lee found himself in the spotlight while Kirby was easy to overlook. They had a bitter falling out, but ultimately reconciled.

I read that the Superheroes had a special meet and greet that day. I think someone said they signed pictures of Stan. The details weren't crystal clear. Guests have been leaving tributes to Lee in the queue for Spider-Man and Universal has been allowing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom