The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

wdwfan4ver

I had a similar experience with my Grandmother as long as you change coffee to cigarettes. I was a tad on the chubby side as a child too. She felt that if I smoked instead of eating that it would be helpful. She, of course, was wrong, but, she meant well. It is amazing how many problems can be directly linked to ignorance. To her defense, everybody smoked in the 50's. I was never able to connect why my grandmother thought it was OK, but, my parents were so set against it. I really don't believe it was a health issue because there was little to no talk about that part of it. I think that at the time they just thought that was an adult activity like that three letter word starting with S.
I understand what smoking could do towards weight considering what happened to my dad before I was born, but he had to go back to square one. My dad lost 50 pounds in a 3 years time from starting to smoke as a teenager. My dad stopped smoking by cold turkey when he was 33 years old.

While losing weight is a good idea, how he did it was the problem. Smoking hurt my dad's health before he quit when I was a kid. My dad was getting medical problems off and on when he was a smoker, but those medical problems stopped when he quit. Besides the medical issue, my dad was starting to try to stop smoking after it was found out that my younger brother and I suffer from asthma and allergies. His smoking was one of the things that caused our allergies to act up.

My dad ended weighing more after he stopped smoking than he did before he started to smoke.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I understand what smoking could do towards weight considering what happened to my dad before I was born, but he had to go back to square one. My dad lost 50 pounds in a 3 years time from starting to smoke as a teenager. My dad stopped smoking by cold turkey when he was in he was 33 years old.

While losing weight is a good idea, smoking hurt my dad's health before he quite when I was a kid. My dad was getting medical problems off and on when he was a smoker, but those medical problems stopped when he quit. Besides the medical issue, my dad was starting to try to stop smoking after it was found out that my younger brother and I suffer from asthma and allergies. His smoking was one of the things that caused our allergies to act up.

My dad ended weighing more after he stopped smoking than he did before he started to smoke.
Part of all that is metabolism. Smoking really doesn't do anymore for weight loss other then occupying time that might be used to eat. But, it doesn't usually mean anything by itself while smoking. Health-wise, yes, although I didn't have any health issues until I quit. My bronchial COPD let up, I hardly cough at all anymore and, at the risk of jinxing it, I haven't even had a cold since then. By coincidence metabolism starts to change as we age and the older we get the more likely we are to quit, so it might be more just coincidence along with increased eating to make up for the smoking cravings. All connected mentally, but, not necessary physically.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The sweet spot is not actually the combat pay, but rather that while you're in a combat zone, you don't have to pay taxes on any money earned. Imagine your paycheck being 30% larger for 15 months!!

I'd gladly give each and every military person tax free combat or not. My Dad was Career too. He enlisted when he was barely 17 years old, his friends Mom forged permission papers for him to join right out of high school. He had a nice duty in occupied Japan and a nasty deployment of the first to go to Korea and kept getting his tour re-upped mandatory. Things were a little different back then. But he came back body intact and in control of his mind, fortunate. I had Uncles that came back from WWII messed up for life. My youngest Uncle that passed this summer (on the same day as my Aunt, his older sister) was in Vietnam in a nasty deployment, he also came back pretty much sound. Came home went to college and lived the life the average person does.

Given my families dedication to the military I have a real soft spot for Veterans Day and what it means to all of us in appreciation of those who served for us. It has been an annoying week for me with the weirdness in the news surrounding WW1. Both sets of my my Grandparents immigrated just after WW1 to the USA, fortunate enough to survive all that on the other side of the pond to grab a boat and get the heck out of there. The nuttiness and lack of heartfelt appreciation to veterans I could have done without this weekend. And a Big {{{HUG}}} of appreciate to you to my friend. Never forgotten. Always appreciated and respected.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I had a similar experience with my Grandmother as long as you change coffee to cigarettes. I was a tad on the chubby side as a child too. She felt that if I smoked instead of eating that it would be helpful. She, of course, was wrong, but, she meant well. It is amazing how many problems can be directly linked to ignorance. To her defense, everybody smoked in the 50's. I was never able to connect why my grandmother thought it was OK, but, my parents were so set against it. I really don't believe it was a health issue because there was little to no talk about that part of it. I think that at the time they just thought that was an adult activity like that three letter word starting with S.

Blurg. But we judge that by what we know today not what we knew then. It evolves always to any subject of what we didn't know then but now have learned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom