Christmas disappointment ....

Damon7777

I missed that part in the Biblical narrative where Mary and Joseph started the Germanic tradition of decorating a Christmas Tree.

I find it inappropriate to introduce straws around here since Disney is moving towards no straws; but yet here you are building one of the biggest strawman...

(the thread creater never claimed what you are refuting.........if you are going to disagree can you at least wait for something that was actually said first)

eliza61nyc

we all know that Disney can " do anything." and so three years ago when I was there for Christmas, I was shocked and disappointed not to find and " LIVE or REAL Christmas trees.. ' it was all fake and plastic and not very Disney.. if they can have a real tree in Rockerfeller square in New York, they can have live trees in Disney world. for one ..because they can KEEP THEM IN DIRT and keep them alive the whole time in the park.. Yes.. Disney is capable of doing this.. it was too fake and Christmas was more of a theory and snowflakes and hot chocolate and winter thyme as opposed to the true meaning of Christmas.. Yes the Candlelight processional was on point.. but that was it for all the parks.. and if you didn't see that .. it was plastic and fluff.. JOMHO.. I assume that the ripping will start within seconds.. Merry Christmas..

lol, uhmm you do realize the the entire Disneyworld is pretty much "fake" I mean from Cinderellas castle to the Epcot ball it;s all an illusion

Next I've always hated the fact that Rockerfeller center, the White house, Philadelphia all cut down fully grown beautiful trees to display for a short period of time. and even with the root ball intact I've heard massive trees generally don't do well upon replanting. I'm not an arborists, it's something I read. I know the one in Rockerfeller center is donated then destroyed after the holidays. Sorry I disagree with you but i would not want hundeds of trees like that destroyed just for Disney.

so I wished they would all switch to fake displays.

lol, I'm also a bit hypocritical as I prefer live trees in my house.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

sorry about the word theme.. i regress my spelling talents..
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Your spelling talent doesn't disturb me one bit.

I too love real Christmas trees. But...think of all the poor trees that are felled. Perhaps it is better if we leave our forests undisturbed, rather than cut them down and replace them by monoculture Christmas trees.

I once read a dismaying article how the replacement of actual forests by monoculture trees created virtual green deserts. They look like forests, as in a large concentration of trees, but are otherwise devoid of life.

eliza61nyc

I find it inappropriate to introduce straws around here since Disney is moving towards no straws; but yet here you are building one of the biggest strawman...

(the thread creater never claimed what you are refuting.........if you are going to disagree can you at least wait for something that was actually said first)

I think it was the last bit about not symbolizing "the real meaning of Christmas". You really can't argue for "live Christmas trees" and then complain about the "real meaning of Christmas" in the same breath. sort of an oxymoron don'tcha think

thomas998

I don’t agree with the complaint either, but why are people calling the OP a troll?
It's not so much a reflection on the OP as it is the people yammering "troll". In my experience the word troll is overused and generally gets thrown out by people that don't like what someone says, but rather than spend the time to refute what they disagree with they are either lazy or unable to string together a rebuttal so they just start yapping "troll" like a kid in elementary school.

eliza61nyc

It's not so much a reflection on the OP as it is the people yammering "troll". In my experience the word troll is overused and generally gets thrown out by people that don't like what someone says, but rather than spend the time to refute what they disagree with they are either lazy or unable to string together a rebuttal so they just start yapping "troll" like a kid in elementary school.

I look at it differently. It's like if someone post complaining about it being outrageously hot in Disneyworld in July. lol, sorry that's what I call a "troll" a post that is ridiculous and just posted to get a "rise" out of the group, not really for discussion.

Now I just did a 30 sec google/wikipedia search and found that most conifers (trees we use as Christmas trees) are not tolerant of hot humid weather (lol, Florida) so let's think of this economically . I'm trying to put up decorations on a massive scale (Wh, rockerfeller center etc only need one) throughout 3 parks and the best thing to use is some thing that I know have to worry about (or have a staff) not making it through the entire holiday?

I have not seen the trees so I can't comment if they look fake or not but I have seen some really gorgeous fake trees.

Last edited:

thomas998

As others have said, real trees won't grow in that part of Florida and secondly (and probably most importantly), people on here are complaining about straws on these boards and what a waste it is and you want to cut down hundreds of live trees every year just so you can see live trees at the MK? Quick, someone over at Epcot, grab the machine at the old Soarin' that used to pump the Pine scent into the ride and hook it up in the MK for this guy...we can put it to good use...
Actually people that think pine trees won't grow in that part of Florida are wrong. The Longleaf Pine which will grow to 80 feet tall along with 5 or 6 other varieties of pine trees will grow quite well in Florida - and that includes the Orlando area. I suspect their are other reasons they don't use real Christmas trees, probably the fire hazard that they would pose. I know when we had real trees growing up which we put up during Thanksgiving would start to look kind of bad by Christmas and would constantly be dropping pine needles even though we were constantly keeping the bottom submerged in water.

thomas998

I look at it differently. It's like if someone post complaining about it being outrageously hot in Disneyworld in July. lol, sorry that's what I call a "troll" a post that is ridiculous and just posted to get a "rise" out of the group, not really for discussion.
The OP didn't post a complaint about something as ridiculous as complaining about heat in July.

yoda_5729

It wouldn't have much of an effect elsewhere, but at least for Magic Kingdom, which is probably the most iconic and significant tree in all of Disney World, the Utilidors may make that difficult. If you installed a tall evergreen, it's probably got to have an amazing root structure, assuming you are trying to keep it alive. If not, then you'd eventually be killing the tree off. Epcot's is pretty big though, so it might be the one most people photograph. Also, many of the trees at the resorts are themed directly to the resort, and can be quite different in designs. I agree as well, that when counting the resorts, Springs, the parks, etc, it wouldn't make sense for live trees to be used. Evergreens aren't as abundant in Florida as they are in Washington and NYC. If there was a resort, probably Wilderness Lodge would make the most sense, but due to already discussed problems, that'd probably be more work, and problems, then Disney wants to deal with.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
sorry. I am a disney addict.. I go .. I cry.. I cry when I don't go.. but I don't always drink the kool-aide.. and yes.. they grow Christmas trees in the carolina's .. and the last time I checked the map.. that was fairly close to Florida..
Fairly close? A median point in South Carolina and Central Florida are over 400 miles apart. That 400 miles takes you through 2 growing zones. Your more common Christmas trees peek at zone 7. Central Florida is a zone 9.

eliza61nyc

The OP didn't post a complaint about something as ridiculous as complaining about heat in July.
potatoes/ potahtoes. i find "no real christmas trees" in florida just as, I'll say interesting.

Just me, but I do agree that I should play nice. I don't want to be a bully.

Maybe we can decorate some Palm trees

KBLovedDisney

Ha! It's early and I think I used the wrong phrase. I meant to say, it isn't brick and clay. (Brick and mortar is more of a business term).

Need more coffee...
coffee-cat.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom