The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Phroobar

It was bigger than that.
It probably contained this kid.

0tgkqk0tceg01.png

mickEblu

Original Poster
Those with children that don't need strollers can sympathize with those that do.

My issue is more with the tank sized strollers and those operating the strollers that don’t mind parking in the middle of a walkway or ramming your ankles. I have a 3 year old and always have a stroller of course. However, our stroller is smaller than the ones Disneyland use to rent out when I was a kid.

Animaniac93-98

I've really come to appreciate the more atmospheric parts of Disney attractions. Not that seeing sets populated with animated figures isn't impressive in its own right, but there's something more realistic and engaging about discovering a space and imagining the past and present history of what has happened there.

In real life, you walk by people's houses and only get tiny glimpses (if that) of what happens inside. The same holds true for the caves in Pirates and Big Thunder, the hallways of The Haunted Mansion, the dungeons of Snow White, the canyon of Cars Land, Indy's temple queue etc. Even the second floors of NoS and Main Street have a sense of place to them that gives more to the illusion of life than actual animation.

True world building doesn't come from literally building every part of a world, but giving the viewer enough to understand the world they are inhabiting. It's why you feel like those Pirate caves are miles away from the rest of the park, or those Haunted doors have Haunted rooms behind them. That's the real magic of Disneyland, IMO.

It's also why Pixar Pier doesn't work. It's just IP iconography on flat buildings. A shame because an amusement pier of that size could have some "life" to it beyond the visible guests who experience it.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I've really come to appreciate the more atmospheric parts of Disney attractions. Not that seeing sets populated with animated figures isn't impressive in its own right, but there's something more realistic and engaging about discovering a space and imagining the past and present history of what has happened there.

In real life, you walk by people's houses and only get tiny glimpses (if that) of what happens inside. The same holds true for the caves in Pirates and Big Thunder, the hallways of The Haunted Mansion, the dungeons of Snow White, the canyon of Cars Land, Indy's temple queue etc. Even the second floors of NoS and Main Street have a sense of place to them that gives more to the illusion of life than actual animation.

True world building doesn't come from literally building every part of a world, but giving the viewer enough to understand the world they are inhabiting. It's why you feel like those Pirate caves are miles away from the rest of the park, or those Haunted doors have Haunted rooms behind them. That's the real magic of Disneyland, IMO.

It's also why Pixar Pier doesn't work. It's just IP iconography on flat buildings. A shame because an amusement pier of that size could have some "life" to it beyond the visible guests who experience it.

Well said. This is is why I thought that losing the wall of trees along the north ROA was a loss because you lose that sense of mystery. On the surface the new berm/ waterfalls are more visually impressive but for me don’t create that raw place making that the trees did.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

ULTRA SUPER MINI TRIP REPORT (10/21)

Stopped by the parks Sunday afternoon on the way home from a weekend in Irvine for a wedding.
-HMH was down in the afternoon which was a letdown for my GF.
-Got legit stuck halfway up the Pirates return lift hill for a solid 15-20 minutes.
-New WOD is decent, but nothing overly amazing. Told my GF about the "backstory" as we left and she agreed it was somewhat interesting, but does nothing to enhance your shopping experience.
-Stopped at Salt&Straw on the way out. Just as good as I've had at other locations, though the absence of the classic Roasted Strawberries and Toasted White Chocolate flavor was a bit of a letdown. Still, I was pleased with my Pots of Gold and Rainbows and Gooey Chocolate Brownie combo. Very glad its there.

Darkbeer1

It's In-n-Out's 70th Anniversary Today!

http://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/2...n-n-out-burger-in-honor-of-its-70th-birthday/

>>The late celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain called In-N-Out Burger’s Double-Double a “perfectly designed protein delivery system.”

The ground-breaking fast food chain is also a delivery system for the California dream.

That could explain why In-N-Out has achieved cult status.

The fast food chain celebrates its 70th anniversary on Monday, Oct. 22. The first location, a tiny stand, opened its doors in Baldwin Park on Oct. 22, 1948.

In-N-Out will mark the occasion by releasing its 2019 T-shirt in restaurants on Monday, according to Denny Warnick, vice president of operations. And an official party will take place Nov. 17 at the Fairplex in Pomona in partnership with Hot Rod Magazine.

In-N-Out grew at the same time as Southern California’s freeway system and suburbs and, as “California’s first drive-thru,” is a part of California’s car culture.

In-N-Out is owned by the descendants of its founders, Harry and Esther Snyder, does not franchise and maintains a strategy of slow, deliberate growth. Its current president, Lynsi Synder, recently told Forbes she doesn’t foresee opening restaurants east of Texas.

It has 334 restaurants in six states, fewer than one for every 100 of the 36,000-plus McDonald’s locations worldwide. Yet it punches above its weight and has an international reputation. In its early years, it actually beat McDonald’s with some of its innovations, such as drive-thru speaker systems.

Rich T

It's In-n-Out's 70th Anniversary Today!

http://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/2...n-n-out-burger-in-honor-of-its-70th-birthday/

>>The late celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain called In-N-Out Burger’s Double-Double a “perfectly designed protein delivery system.”

The ground-breaking fast food chain is also a delivery system for the California dream.

That could explain why In-N-Out has achieved cult status.

The fast food chain celebrates its 70th anniversary on Monday, Oct. 22. The first location, a tiny stand, opened its doors in Baldwin Park on Oct. 22, 1948.

In-N-Out will mark the occasion by releasing its 2019 T-shirt in restaurants on Monday, according to Denny Warnick, vice president of operations. And an official party will take place Nov. 17 at the Fairplex in Pomona in partnership with Hot Rod Magazine.

In-N-Out grew at the same time as Southern California’s freeway system and suburbs and, as “California’s first drive-thru,” is a part of California’s car culture.

In-N-Out is owned by the descendants of its founders, Harry and Esther Snyder, does not franchise and maintains a strategy of slow, deliberate growth. Its current president, Lynsi Synder, recently told Forbes she doesn’t foresee opening restaurants east of Texas.

It has 334 restaurants in six states, fewer than one for every 100 of the 36,000-plus McDonald’s locations worldwide. Yet it punches above its weight and has an international reputation. In its early years, it actually beat McDonald’s with some of its innovations, such as drive-thru speaker systems.
If only their burgers and fries weren't so bland! I love In n Out's atmosphere and consistently great employees, but their food--to me--tastes like almost-literally nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom