Did the Japan Pavilion get a Refurb?

Voxel

President of Progress City
Original Poster
I slowly realizing that I am the “typical” out of shape American.. I’m so far behind on my live blogs and by the time to my hotel at the end of the day I’m exhausted.. That being said, here is a new update from day 3..

Day 3 Why can’t more restaurants work this way?

If you can’t tell already, I enjoy wandering around cities and seeing what I discover. “Last night” I was searching around for unique locations in Tokyo when I stumbled across this suburbian temple.. After sleeping in a bit, I began the trek to this little known locations. Luckily I was heading away from the city, so much of my commute was in the opposite direction of most locals. After hoping 2 trains and walking just over a mile, I found myself at this gem. And boy was it worth it.

017AEECE-86DB-4282-951D-48280D90E4A2.jpeg
(I’m actually really impressed with this photo. It’s been one of my favorites from my trip so far). As you can tell, the area is very unique. It’s hard to believe that there is a baseball field next door and nothing but residential homes all around..
But how can you beat this:
158F4600-D32F-4B5B-8637-E11F60F107C3.jpeg

After finishing my exploration and admiration for this small temple (That I sadly can’ remember the name of this shrine at the moment). Leaving the area I realized I had no major plans for the rest of the days so I began wondering around Tokyo.. As I continue my exploration, I came across the rail junction that I found quiet beautiful. For such a large city, there is a lot of green here.

2F4860E1-820B-4806-ADD8-716FA421E458.jpeg

I decided to swing out of this area and head to Akihabara. Sadly I was soo distraction by all the maids... I mean dancing lights and billboards that I forgot to take photos.. But for @spacemt354 I did get a photo of my Lunch.. (Sorry I took a bit out of it before I got my camera out.. I was really hungry and proud of myself for ordering food in Japanese)
E7F3BE90-0A89-4BE1-9428-D6FF88D4AEA3.jpeg

During this time, I also stumbled into Yodabashi.. OMG tech heaven. ALL tech stores should be like this. I love the execution of selling products in Japan, they don’t just have a picture and say BUY THIS KEYBOARD. Every keyboard they have in stock is on displayed, ( I’ll have to pull a photo off my skype) but they had 50+ Keyboards on display for testing. It made the nerd in me very happy. To better understand this size of this store, image an 8 story Best Buy with every floor having as much space as a Best Buy. It was heaven. I saw an 8K tv.. I didn’t know I needed an 8K TV until I saw it.. It was here where I found my first present for my mom.
F0580405-48AF-4EFC-A21C-60D804081968.jpeg

Yes, they are Japanese presses of the Beatles Album.. Sadly they did not have my mother’s favorite album, but I believe she will be quiet happy with Hard Day’s Night. It is her favorite movie after all.

Finally, I went back to Conveyor Belt Sushi. Because A) it’s Cheap, B) it’s good, C) it’s on a flipping Conveyor Belt. What more do you need.
618796CA-1CA4-4CBB-9F86-B6973D91D470.jpeg

Wait what’s this! Another day update for Day 4?!?

Day 4... Why do I even make plans?

Sadly today I was suppose to hike Mt. Takao. Sadly, weather in Tokyo (and Japan in general) has been Utter trash. As much as I wanted to hike the Mountain, doing it in pouring raid did not seem like my best idea so instead I wondered around Tokyo and did a lot of shopping. (Japan’s love of Stationary is beautiful, I’m going to buy a lot more notebooks/supplies while I’m here. They make the best Notebooks, sadly I can’t send a picture now due to how they wrap things for Tax-Free. However I may do a Haul report at the end of this).

I started off this morning watching the weather report, had no clue what was being said. However I love the use of old school material and techniques to get the information across. I mean look at this graphic.
4F909D57-8329-4FE1-A88F-510089CC43A5.jpeg

To enjoy my last day in Tokyo I decided I needed to pay a visit to less popular shrine to ask for blessing for my friend @ScoutN. Here is the shrine in question:
1D07CB47-4BE9-4059-BD8B-5F1D4B565A97.jpeg

Walking through Shibuya to pickup myself a gift, I finally go close to Hachiko to take a photo. If you do not know the story of Hachiko, I truly recommend reading it. Quick grab your tissues and read it. For those who want the gist of the tale, Hachiko was an Akita who lived with his owner near Shibuya station, Ueno. Ueno worked at the local Univeristy and at the end of every day Hachiko would go to the station to wait for him. Sadly Ueno died from Cerebral Hemorrhaging while at work and never returned. Hachiko proceeded to return to the station right as the train was to arrive, every day for the next 9 years, nine months and 15 days.
C7003F3A-9F8C-47F6-B0CC-E2EE979B41F7.jpeg

I finished off this relatively short day by buying my self a used model train.. Future note to those going to Japan. Prices might be cheaper on the weekends, the set I got went up about ~$30 dollars between the Weekend and Tuesday. I knew that places had unofficial sales during the weekend but I forgot about it at the time. But all is well. I still 1/3rd the price I would have paid for this model back in the states. (I might try to get some more, since used seems to be reasonably priced).
0EE9890F-2EA6-431E-94DB-5262862BA58E.jpeg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I slowly realizing that I am the “typical” out of shape American.. I’m so far behind on my live blogs and by the time to my hotel at the end of the day I’m exhausted.. That being said, here is a new update from day 3..

If you can’t tell already, I enjoy wandering around cities and seeing what I discover. “Last night” I was searching around for unique locations in Tokyo when I stumbled across this suburbian temple.. After sleeping in a bit, I began the trek to this little known locations. Luckily I was heading away from the city, so much of my commute was in the opposite direction of most locals. After hoping 2 trains and walking just over a mile, I found myself at this gem. And boy was it worth it.

View attachment 311869(I’m actually really impressed with this photo. It’s been one of my favorites from my trip so far). As you can tell, the area is very unique. It’s hard to believe that there is a baseball field next door and nothing but residential homes all around..
View attachment 311878

After finishing my exploration and admiration for this small temple (That I sadly can’ remember the name of this shrine at the moment). Leaving the area I realized I had no major plans for the rest of the days so I began wondering around Tokyo.. As I continue my exploration, I came across the rail junction that I found quiet beautiful. For such a large city, there is a lot of green here.

View attachment 311870

I decided to swing out of this area and head to Akihabara. Sadly I was soo distraction by all the maids... I mean dancing lights and billboards that I forgot to take photos.. But for @spacemt354 I did get a photo of my Lunch.. (Sorry I took a bit out of it before I got my camera out.. I was really hungry and proud of myself for ordering food in Japanese)
View attachment 311871

During this time, I also stumbled into Yodabashi.. OMG tech heaven. ALL tech stores should be like this. I love the execution of selling products in Japan, they don’t just have a picture and say BUY THIS KEYBOARD. Every keyboard they have in stock is on displayed, ( I’ll have to pull a photo off my skype) but they had 50+ Keyboards on display for testing. It made the nerd in me very happy. To better understand this size of this store, image an 8 story Best Buy with every floor having as much space as a Best Buy. It was heaven. I saw an 8K tv.. I didn’t know I needed an 8K TV until I saw it.. It was here where I found my first present for my mom. View attachment 311872
Yes, they are Japanese presses of the Beatles Album.. Sadly they did not have my mother’s favorite album, but I believe she will be quiet happy with Hard Day’s Night. It is her favorite movie after all.

Finally, I went back to Conveyor Belt Sushi. Because A) it’s Cheap, B) it’s good, C) it’s on a flipping Conveyor Belt. What more do you need. View attachment 311873

Sadly today I was suppose to hike Mt. Takao. Sadly, weather in Tokyo (and Japan in general) has been Utter trash. As much as I wanted to hike the Mountain, doing it in pouring raid did not seem like my best idea so instead I wondered around Tokyo and did a lot of shopping. (Japan’s love of Stationary is beautiful, I’m going to buy a lot more notebooks/supplies while I’m here. They make the best Notebooks, sadly I can’t send a picture now due to how they wrap things for Tax-Free. However I may do a Haul report at the end of this).

I started off this morning watching the weather report, had no clue what was being said. However I love the use of old school material and techniques to get the information across. I mean look at this graphic.
View attachment 311874
To enjoy my last day in Tokyo I decided I needed to pay a visit to less popular shrine to ask for blessing for my friend @ScoutN. Here is the shrine in question:
View attachment 311876

Walking through Shibuya to pickup myself a gift, I finally go close to Hachiko to take a photo. If you do not know the story of Hachiko, I truly recommend reading it. Quick grab your tissues and read it. For those who want the gist of the tale, Hachiko was an Akita who lived with his owner near Shibuya station, Ueno. Ueno worked at the local Univeristy and at the end of every day Hachiko would go to the station to wait for him. Sadly Ueno died from Cerebral Hemorrhaging while at work and never returned. Hachiko proceeded to return to the station right as the train was to arrive, every day for the next 9 years, nine months and 15 days.
View attachment 311875

I finished off this relatively short day by buying my self a used model train.. Future note to those going to Japan. Prices might be cheaper on the weekends, the set I got went up about ~$30 dollars between the Weekend and Tuesday. I knew that places had unofficial sales during the weekend but I forgot about it at the time. But all is well. I still 1/3rd the price I would have paid for this model back in the states. (I might try to get some more, since used seems to be reasonably priced).
View attachment 311877
Love the train. My father had a huge HO layout when I was growing up. What was the final price?

spacemt354

Chili's

View attachment 311869(I’m actually really impressed with this photo. It’s been one of my favorites from my trip so far). As you can tell, the area is very unique. It’s hard to believe that there is a baseball field next door and nothing but residential homes all around..
View attachment 311878

View attachment 311870

View attachment 311871

During this time, I also stumbled into Yodabashi.. OMG tech heaven. ALL tech stores should be like this. I love the execution of selling products in Japan, they don’t just have a picture and say BUY THIS KEYBOARD. Every keyboard they have in stock is on displayed, ( I’ll have to pull a photo off my skype) but they had 50+ Keyboards on display for testing. It made the nerd in me very happy. To better understand this size of this store, image an 8 story Best Buy with every floor having as much space as a Best Buy. It was heaven. I saw an 8K tv.. I didn’t know I needed an 8K TV until I saw it.. It was here where I found my first present for my mom. View attachment 311872

Finally, I went back to Conveyor Belt Sushi. Because A) it’s Cheap, B) it’s good, C) it’s on a flipping Conveyor Belt. What more do you need. View attachment 311873

View attachment 311874
View attachment 311876

View attachment 311875

View attachment 311877
That conveyer belt sushi though...:hungry:

D Hulk

Vox, if you find yourself in a traditional sushi restaurant, the sort without conveyor belts, here’s a couple of recommendations:

Try the “chirashi,” which is an assortment of all popular sushi types artfully arranged atop a rice bowl. Filling and good variety, and usually a reasonable price for all you get.

Or get “omakase,” chef’s choice. The sushi chef is now in a battle with your stomach where he must serve up his greatest creations until either you or he give up. It’s pricier but a great experience.

Loving your report!

Voxel

Original Poster
Vox, if you find yourself in a traditional sushi restaurant, the sort without conveyor belts, here’s a couple of recommendations:

Try the “chirashi,” which is an assortment of all popular sushi types artfully arranged atop a rice bowl. Filling and good variety, and usually a reasonable price for all you get.

Or get “omakase,” chef’s choice. The sushi chef is now in a battle with your stomach where he must serve up his greatest creations until either you or he give up. It’s pricier but a great experience.

Loving your report!
I’ll check it out. I did one traditional place but I didn’t know about those options. Hmm

Voxel

Original Poster
Day 5... Of Panic and Concerns

Going to bed the night of the typhoon I had many concerns. Will my trip be ruined? Can I get to Kyoto? Will Kyoto still be there?? Am I going to have to spend a few more nights I’m Tokyo and cancel my other plans.

Okay so mostly silly concerns on my end of the spectrum, but I wasn’t sure how the typhoon would be handed. Imagine my content when I wake up in the morning and the Shinkansen is running!! After doing some digging, I found out it was only running because they did around the clock repairs to the line over night. (I.e. probably about 3 days worth of work in America).
Though I’m concerned to see how long this will take to fix (undates on it. It took less than a week to remove that section)
574AE525-D846-45C4-9B11-ABE53EBF614B.png

Figuring that there might be a bit of a morning rush. (The trains did not run past 10am yesterday). I decided to explore my neighbor a bit more. In my exploration I stumbled past a familiar looking dealership but not one I was expecting.
47469920-FB83-49D4-A2A8-63901131EC86.jpeg

Further down the block I found a beautiful part that was right behind my hotel. I decided to take two laps around it before heading out.
B481CEC7-9099-4A3F-A6DC-5DA48DE069D0.jpeg
C13591F1-103C-418F-8C96-6FEF18D09BDD.jpeg

Checking out of my hotel, I made my journey to Tokyo station. I would have taken more photos but it was a bit of a nut hut. Stopping for a second will get you ran over. However it wasn’t long before I made it to my destination.

753A535D-7C1E-4ED4-9CF1-D4CCF8AE86E5.jpeg
Isn’t it the most beautiful thing you have ever seen. I love it. I say let’s replace the monorails with these bad boys!!

I was on my way to Kyoto with nothing but beautiful scenery on my way.

C82C472D-EC6F-4592-BEAB-6186C75C1FAA.jpeg
4E2D803C-7673-415C-B680-2363E8653F12.jpeg
EBFC6194-F0BD-43FE-B287-264081CAC851.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom