Survivor! David vs. Goliath

danheaton

I'm not a huge fan of the theme, but the focus on the theme usually just comes in the first 3-4 episodes. Once we have a tribe swap, then Jeff sort of forgets about it for the most part. It's going to be cringe-worthy at the start with all the clips talking about David and Goliath. Yikes. With all that said, I'm excited for the new season! I need to actually catch up with some info on the players.

PUSH

So we aren't getting any "Meet the Cast" individual videos? We typically do, but I haven't been able to find any. Makes it hard to do my preseason winner pick, but I'll try my best. I've tried to make it easier by picking a male and female winner pick. I've had some highs and some lows, for example...

Low: Vytas was my winner pick for Cambodia.

High: Adam was my male winner pick for Millennials vs Gen X.

Last season I picked Brendan for male and Kellyn for female.

DvG male winner pick: Dan
DvG female winner pick: Alison

I'm also going to do something new this season... predict the first boot! I'm going to pick Elizabeth as the first boot.

danheaton

So we aren't getting any "Meet the Cast" individual videos? We typically do, but I haven't been able to find any. Makes it hard to do my preseason winner pick, but I'll try my best. I've tried to make it easier by picking a male and female winner pick. I've had some highs and some lows, for example...

Low: Vytas was my winner pick for Cambodia.

High: Adam was my male winner pick for Millennials vs Gen X.

Last season I picked Brendan for male and Kellyn for female.

DvG male winner pick: Dan
DvG female winner pick: Alison

I'm also going to do something new this season... predict the first boot! I'm going to pick Elizabeth as the first boot.

I still need to nail down my winner pick. For first one out, I'll go with Kara. I could also see a scenario where John the wrestler is the first one out, but he'll probably survive with the usual "we need strength!" conversations that happen.

PUSH

I kind of thought there was a weird feeling to this episode... like something was off with the editing and timing. Awful that Pat was injured on the boat ride back to camp. I wonder how production felt that they had to show that they actually boat contestants back to camp. I mean, it's no secret, but it's not something the producers advertise.

Initial thoughts:

I really like Dan, but he better not get caught up in a showmance or he'll be out quickly.

I also like Alison. She seems competent and well-rounded.

Christian is the forced Cochran character that every season has now. Like, we can go one season without a nerd forced on us. The only person who I ended up liking in that role was David.

John is also annoying.

Mike is fun, and I think he'll play a smarter game going forward.

The theme is already overplayed, so hopefully that goes away soon.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I enjoyed the first episode. From memory, I could name three or four contestants at most - but that’s typical for me in the beginning.

I’m just so put out by the David vs Goliath theme. It’s a total misnomer. As someone who went to Sunday School every Sunday for my entire childhood, I know who David was and what he became. It’s not a nerdy insult.

SAV

Original Poster
I liked that they actually showed most of the players in this episode. Terrible for Pat. I know I'd be devastated if this happened to me after waiting so many years to finally get on the show.

Christian was quirky to start, but is now getting annoying. I'm thinking him and the other nerdy chick are gonna hook up.

I don't know most of the names yet, but I did enjoy the episode.

PUSH

I enjoyed the first episode. From memory, I could name three or four contestants at most - but that’s typical for me in the beginning.

I’m just so put out by the David vs Goliath theme. It’s a total misnomer. As someone who went to Sunday School every Sunday for my entire childhood, I know who David was and what he became. It’s not a nerdy insult.
I'm kind of surprised they chose a theme with a religious background to be honest.

danheaton

Beyond some painful comments on the boat from Probst, I was actually relieved the David vs. Goliath theme wasn't as heavy-handed as it could have been. With no Tribal Council, we got a chance to meet a lot more players than usual. I like this cast a lot and think it's going to be a fun season. Once we get past the first string of episodes, we'll barely hear about the theme for a while thankfully.

PUSH

I'm loving the start to this season. I really like how the weather has played a factor. I miss the nature elements from the old days of Survivor.

I was super happy Lyrsa stayed. I'm really liking her. Jessica was okay, but nothing I would root for. This week I am liking Christian better. They toned down his nerd edit, and he has a great line when Gabby asked if he wanted to play with her, and he thought she was talking about playing in the sand. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Funniest Survivor moment in quite a while.

Dan on the Goliath tribe has lost me. I was into him if he could drop the showmance thing. However, he's so clueless. I like how the Goliath girls are playing. I also am liking Mike. I remember him from School of Rock as a kid, so that's kind of cool. Natalie is the worst.

I really like the play by Christian and Nick. If they sided with the others, they would have been on the bottom. However, Christian now has a strong and tested alliance with both Gabby and Nick. But I don't think anybody knows about his alliance with Nick.

The theme isn't being shoved in our face, and I am really thankful for that. It makes it more about the players, which is what ultimately makes the season. I am also happy that we don't have to cut away for 10 minutes each episode to go to some gimmicky island like we did last season. I am hoping it stays 2 tribes through swaps all the way to the merge. Three is too hard to keep track of, and we usually end up with one tribe that we never see because they keep winning.

danheaton

It was a relief to not have so much about the theme in this episode. I enjoyed it and also wanted Lyrsa to stay! I typically root for the underdogs, and seeing them flip the script was cool. I also didn't mind Jessica; she could have handled Gabby better, though. That scene with Gabby and Christian was great. She was basically flirting (mostly to help her game), and he had no idea. This is a fun cast! Dan is continuing the trend of bad Survivor Dans. They've all been terrible! And Natalie is not doing well. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

PUSH

If you haven't heard it, the interview with Pat on First One Out (Josh Wigler's podcast) is great. A lot more in-depth and longer than the other exit interviews (including the one on Rob Has a Podcast).
The only stuff I've seen of Wigler has been with Rob on his podcasts. He's always annoyed me on those. Is he toned down in his own? It's like he's an obnoxious boy trying to make everyone laugh. When he is being serious, I like him, but he's too goofy most of the time from what I've seen him on.

danheaton

I like Josh and think First One Out (which he's done before the past three seasons with a lot of pre-game content and interviews with Probst, all the cast, and some crew) is excellent. It doesn't spoil anything and gives a lot of insight on how the show was put together. I will say that The Wiggle Room (with the Wand-off) isn't my favorite thing, but that really comes down to personal preference and limited time.

Full disclosure: I used to be a blogger for Rob and have done some Amazing Race podcasts, so I'm definitely biased.

PUSH

I like Josh and think First One Out (which he's done before the past three seasons with a lot of pre-game content and interviews with Probst, all the cast, and some crew) is excellent. It doesn't spoil anything and gives a lot of insight on how the show was put together. I will say that The Wiggle Room (with the Wand-off) isn't my favorite thing, but that really comes down to personal preference and limited time.

Full disclosure: I used to be a blogger for Rob and have done some Amazing Race podcasts, so I'm definitely biased.
To be honest, really the only thing I've seen Josh in is BrantSteele fantasy Survivor season, so it's not the most "serious" topic when you have Wanda Shirk as a contestant. But that's so cool that you blogged for Rob! He's probably my favorite Survivor in any season 1-15. I love him and Stephen in the Know-It-Alls. That's the only podcast I pay attention to. Others I don't really have time for. I did watch the Survivor Fan Forum hosted by Andrea Boehlke with Dalton Ross in its two seasons, too.

artvandelay

I didn’t listen to First One Out for this season, but I did listen to it for the previous two seasons.

Rob’s podcasts are great. I am a patron. Truly enjoy Know it All’s and the exit interviews. The Big Brother content is excellent too. It was great to hear Eric Stein on this weeks Survivor podcast. It made me laugh when they’d bring in Big Brother references for Survivor.

danheaton

To be honest, really the only thing I've seen Josh in is BrantSteele fantasy Survivor season, so it's not the most "serious" topic when you have Wanda Shirk as a contestant. But that's so cool that you blogged for Rob! He's probably my favorite Survivor in any season 1-15. I love him and Stephen in the Know-It-Alls. That's the only podcast I pay attention to. Others I don't really have time for. I did watch the Survivor Fan Forum hosted by Andrea Boehlke with Dalton Ross in its two seasons, too.

Know-it-Alls is my favorite and the show I never miss. I also listen to all the exit interviews. I try to do the recaps and voicemails, but it depends on my time and the guests. Doing the Survivor blogs was a lot of fun. I started in Cagayan and did them every week through Kaoh Rong. I ended up stopping just because it took a lot of time to do them about each episode. Now I mostly just do the Amazing Race Canada podcast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom