News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

geekza

Disney doesn't allow cast member to go to even one Not So Scary for free (and offers an increasingly limited amount of discounted tickets for Cast) and serves a thanksgiving meal that you have to pay to enjoy in their cafeteria.
Sounds like working for Amazon. I remember asking when I was hired there if we got free Prime as one of our benefits. They laughed at me and said, "Sure. For a yearly donation of $79!" (That was several years ago.) I will say that they did feed us pretty well on holidays and on days when they knew that things were going to be stressful.

OG Runner

Tyhey used to hype Rocket Rods as the longest fastest ride at Disneyland....while those things may be true, It was an utter disappointment. Had they not slashed the budget and built the ride as conceived it would still be a top draw e-ticket...
Saying at this point Guardians Of The Galaxy is going to be the most amazoing ride ever hold little weight... Wait until the inevitable budget cuts start...

Was the failure of Rocket Rods really a budget issue? The idea was to reuse the People Mover track. Unfortunately, it could not
deal with the additional stress from a high speed ride, making the possibility of an accident, very real.

geekza

Was the failure of Rocket Rods really a budget issue? The idea was to reuse the People Mover track. Unfortunately, it could not
deal with the additional stress from a high speed ride, making the possibility of an accident, very real.
That's what I heard as well. Because the tracks weren't engineered for high-speed vehicles, they discovered that the posts holding up the track were starting to crack.

sedati

never been, huh?
... or watch a @marni1971 vid?
;)

My first view of Spaceship Earth was when it was only a steel frame, and my first view of the park was the huge concept art they had on World Drive. Epcot Center was a bit of an obsession ever since.

I'd advise giving Martin's vids another viewing. Most pavilions went through a pretty severe change when sponsors were locked down. The imagineers started off with purer concepts and ideals that were bent and cut to adapt to a more corporate vision.

Last edited:

Bocabear

The track was originally to be banked at the curves allowing for a smoother running experience...When the track upgrades were cut from the budget, the speed up slow down caused damage to the entire ride system... Or so I was told... It always struck me as an unfinished ride...the budget cuts on the show scenes were very evident... It was kind of sad actually...

smile

My first view of Spaceship Earth was when it was only a steel frame, and my first view of the park was the huge concept art they had on World Drive. Epcot Center was a bit of an obsession ever since.

I'd advise giving Martin's vids another viewing. Most pavilions went through a pretty severe change when sponsors were locked down. The imagineers started off with purer concepts and ideals that were bend and cut to adapt to a more corporate vision.

not only that, but some weren't selling at all until they were adapted (who was ever gonna hop on the poseidon train? :joyfull:)
... yet, i am, however, basing my judgement on the grounds of every iteration of those attractions that went live and feel my point still stands - if you must stand over there, so be it :happy:

Professortango1

2). I think you'd be surprised to find out that a majority of Disney theme park guests ARE Marvel fans. Given the huge success and box office records, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the majority of the American population in GENERAL are marvel fans. Hence, why Marvel Superhero Island has been one of Universal's most successful and popular theme park lands/attractions since it first opened, and why they won't back down on the rights.

3). In 10 years, the same crowd level as RNR would be pretty high up there, so we agree on SOMEthing. So yea, once the "buzz dies down," it'll still be holding an hour/hour and a half worth of wait time. Maybe more considering, again, Epcot has no thrill rides.

I think Universal's success with Marvel Superhero Island is because of the rides present. Spiderman is a great ride and broke new ground. People like drop towers and large coasters. I think if it was themed to Jackson's King Kong with a Tower Drop, Skull Island EMV ride, and big random coaster the area would be just as popular. People like the rides. Lost Continent has amazing theming, but no real crowd-pleasers hence why it is up for removal. IOA only has two majorly successful areas; Hogsmede and Superhero Island. Jurassic Park and Toon Landing are both adequate with some thrilling rides. Seuss and Lost Continent only survive due to their aesthetics.

Hour/hour and half wait for RNR? We go in late summer and we rarely wait longer than 35-45 minutes. The only reason RNR has stayed as successful as its been is because Hollywood Studios is a park lacking attractions. For us, there's only RNR and TOT that are must-see's. Midway Mania is a major hitter for most people and Star Tours is a classic attraction that still pulls decent crowds. But that's 4 attractions right there. I liked Great Movie Ride, but the majority of guests didn't visit it anymore. So yeah, when the majority of your crowds are being split among 4 rides, 2 of which are the only unique rides your park offers, the lines will remain consistent.

Rich Brownn

The budget was reduced and upgrading the tracks was cut from the project.
Correct. The original plays called for banking the turns, and redoing some of the "squiggle" area. By not doing those not only was there stress on the track, but the constant speeding up and slowing down wore out the engines. Originally they were supposed to zoom out - and stay in zooming mode.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Banked curves wouldn't have obviated the need for shoring up lateral supports and would have caused as much problems as constantly slowing down and speeding up. The supports weren't made to take the shearing forces that a sped-up ride would cause in any direction. They would have needed banked curves *and* flying buttresses.

begood524

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but are they removing the solar panels from the top of the Energy building? If so I wonder if they will be purely cosmetic or will they be rewired to power something?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but are they removing the solar panels from the top of the Energy building? If so I wonder if they will be purely cosmetic or will they be rewired to power something?

The concept art still showed them, indicating that that might stay, even if not functional...I think it would be a good PR move to leave them there, even if they're just able to charge a few smartphones with them by this point.

Jambo Joe

never been, huh?
... or watch a @marni1971 vid?
;)

a little heavy-handed in the post shows, perhaps (still is), but i never feel/felt theme was a corp, and i think it's unfortunate if that's all you saw or could see...
for my money, the attraction developers did a bang-up job straddling that line on the proper side with a few, notable exceptions
  • for a brief moment in the seas pre-show... but then 'the deluge' and all is forgiven
  • for a brief moment at the end of horizons... even tho that sparkling ge logo was cool
  • and yes, during the current decent i feel somewhat immersed in siemens :bored:
That’s gross man.

Lensman

The concept art still showed them, indicating that that might stay, even if not functional...I think it would be a good PR move to leave them there, even if they're just able to charge a few smartphones with them by this point.
I'd be surprised if they were functional at all and producing any power at this point, even if any of the inverter(s) were still working, there's bound to be enough panel failures after this many years for each string to be open.

From a cost perspective, I'm not sure it would make sense to replace everything and get it working. The economics are much better for their new utility-scale project vs a commercial-scale project like this one.

The original panels only generated 77 kilowatts of power. I'd estimate that a new installation could generate between 600 - 1200 kilowatts, depending on how much panel coverage they can get on the roof. They could probably power the whole ride (during the day). By comparison their new utility-scale solar project is 50 megawatts.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'd be surprised if they were functional at all and producing any power at this point, even if any of the inverter(s) were still working, there's bound to be enough panel failures after this many years for each string to be open.

From a cost perspective, I'm not sure it would make sense to replace everything and get it working. The economics are much better for their new utility-scale project vs a commercial-scale project like this one.

The original panels only generated 77 kilowatts of power. I'd estimate that a new installation could generate between 600 - 1200 kilowatts, depending on how much panel coverage they can get on the roof. They could probably power the whole ride (during the day). By comparison their new utility-scale solar project is 50 megawatts.
The array was replaced in 1998; 20 years ago but it wasn’t vintage 1982.

Lensman

The array was replaced in 1998; 20 years ago but it wasn’t vintage 1982.
Whew! And that's great precedent if it was originally replaced 16 years after the original installation. So a replacement today after 20 years would match the lifespans of panels. I guess we can only hope?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom