A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

asianway

My thoughts on the James Gunn situation- there's no 100% right or wrong option, however Disney KNEW James Gunn said those things, they KNEW he apologized in 2012 and he's done no similar actions or tweets since. The Disney knee-jerk reaction of immediately firing him was the worst part of that.

Will Disney get rid of any Seth MacFarlane shows when they take over Fox, because he's made some pretty awful comments ON his actual TV shows that could be construed badly. It's called shock humor and there used to be a time where we could accept it for what it is and not read too far into it. Yes, what James Gunn said was horrific, but that was the point! That was the kind of industry he was in with Troma at the time.

Using the same situation, I don't think Roseanne should have been fired, but given some "cool off" time to make up for it. I'm in no way a fan of hers, but she's been making shock humor for years also.

I mean, I watched Top Gear and now The Grand Tour with Jeremy Clarkson who has said some horrible things as well, but I'm still a fan of his and don't think he'd ever really harm someone.

For Disney/Marvel this is a really bad situation because the MCU has been such a cash cow and Guardians has been a huge part of that. I think they should have given James Gunn a different role, maybe just as a producer/consultant, but use the same script and not allow him to direct the film. Something of a compromise, but that ship has sailed I fear.
No ones pointed me to a full apology yet...

AEfx

No ones pointed me to a full apology yet...

Not to mention...reportedly Disney was not aware of the extent of this - people keep saying Disney knew for a fact about all of this, but that has not been established. Disney may be woefully negligent if they didn't, but that is another topic. When people say "joke tweets" they are over-simplifying it, as well - it was also blog posts and pictures posted on his site.

Princess Leia

I'm kind of disappointed that I don't see more people talking about Ruby Rose being harassed off of Twitter after being cast as Batwoman. Disappointed, but not surprised - given how the culprits in this case don't fit the current cultural narrative of dismissing "toxic fandom" being driven by crazy misogynistic neo-Nazis, LOL.

Sorry, Rian Johnson - next excuse? ;)
I just didn’t bring up since it wasn’t Disney related.

It’s awful and Twitter needs to be destroyed

AEfx

I just didn’t bring up since it wasn’t Disney related.

It’s awful and Twitter needs to be destroyed

Not even so much talking here, but just in general - it is being reported on, but I'm not seeing much reaction versus, say, when Kelly Tran left Twitter.

It might not be the Disney company, but it does speak to a lot of the themes and discussions we have had around here of late - and it relates back to them IMO by how the situations are being treated/interpreted. I think a lot of people are afraid to touch it because they then have to admit several inconvenient things - most importantly, that there are extremist mobs on both sides, but also the suddenly complicated discussion about what an actor is allowed to play or not - and who does one support here when the infighting is within the same "community" (those that identify as LGBTQ).

There are a lot of contradictions that people would need to resolve in order to weigh in on it. That's why people aren't talking more about it - if, like people keep dismissing the Gunn situation over, the outrage was coming from "alt right trolls", I think people would be a whole lot more vocal and upset that yet another person was harassed and bullied off of social media.

Rodan75

I'm kind of disappointed that I don't see more people talking about Ruby Rose being harassed off of Twitter after being cast as Batwoman. Disappointed, but not surprised - given how the culprits in this case don't fit the current cultural narrative of dismissing "toxic fandom" being driven by crazy misogynistic neo-Nazis, LOL.

1. Not Disney related.
2. No longer giving you oxygen to keep hammering the same points over and over again.

The Empress Lilly

Harassed away....or princessy millenial egos that just can't take criticism anymore?

Edit: as for the second point, yes, nobody does crazy pitchfork mob better than the left / college aged / identity politics obsessed. The alt right's got nothing on their lunacy and flimsyness, driven by an absolutists belief in being right and correct. Borrowing from religious extremists that marriage between morality and intellect that lends zeal and righteousness to their intellectual ideas and uncritical intellectual scrutiny to their moral ones.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

It's kind of a weird place we're in... the point of acting is pretending to be things you're not? If Batwoman can only be played by a Jewish lesbian (how many of those actresses are there?), then I just don't think a Batwoman show is likely to go forward. Then you won't get LGB or Jewish representation. I think it's asking too much for our faking to be real.

The Empress Lilly

It's kind of a weird place we're in... the point of acting is pretending to be things you're not? If Batwoman can only be played by a Jewish lesbian (how many of those actresses are there?), then I just don't think a Batwoman show is likely to go forward. Then you won't get LGB or Jewish representation. I think it's asking too much for our faking to be real.
I didn't understand this part of the criticism either.

It seems to be a bit contradictory too. The demand is that the lesbian Jew can only be played by a lesbian Jew. Combined with the demand that identities are fluid and not defining, that is, anybody can be any gender or orientation, and that race doesn't exist.
Nor do body types exist for that matter, nobody is too fat or too thin to play any role, or else they are bodyshamed.

Kman101

This "bullying for equality" needs to stop. For me, it washes away the point they're ultimately trying to make. (And no one please take this as me against equality, lol, but some of the tacticts used are disgusting and bullying and to me that just negates the point someone is trying to make, whether I agree with them or not)

The_Jobu

Ruby Rose is a lesbian. She's been hired to play Batwoman. So what? I don't understand how an actor or actresses sexuality affects their acting abilities one iota.

It's even dumber than that. Batwoman is a lesbian, but far-left whackadoos went after Ruby because she was a)"too conventionally attractive" and b)not "lesbian enough"

The internet is a magical place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom