News New Caribbean Beach Resort table service restaurant announced - Sebastian's Bistro

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
No, Shutter's didn't.
And that's why this generic theme illustrates a missed opportunity.
We will see I guess when the finished product comes out. I hope I’m not wrong. Not because I want to be right but because I would like a restaurant with a nice atmosphere and a good theme. CBR is my go to for moderates.

lawdogNOLA

Its interesting that they chose Sebastian. For a little context, when the restaurant was known as the Captain's Tavern, Sebastian appeared on the kids menu that doubled as a paper hat. Not to mention for a while the Little Mermaid appeared thought the resort on the mugs, in Centertown, the gift shops and even in the kids pool. By the mid 2000s it was all Nemo and Pirates.

OMG! Thanks so much for that flashback! I'd completely forgotten about "The Captain's Tavern" name (wife and I stayed there in 1994 and 2001), and I can remember that kid's menu now.

I've no problem with renaming Shutters, or using Sebastian. It does seem like a disconnect, however, between the name and the theming. Interior doesn't really say anything "Disney". I'm in the party that the minimalization trend Disney's gone for has swung waaay to far from the opposite direction.

That said, if it's good food, no one will care. And, irony, this is after they took the trouble with making the ceiling fans look like cutlass's at Spyglass Grill.

21stamps

Completely agree. That does not look like the type of restaurant one would take kids into. And what's the story here? You are eating at some restaurant in a Carribean Resort owned by Sebastian that only the 1% can afford? Give me a well themed, immersive resort restaurant with a story like Boatrwrights over this any day.

The fact that Sebastian is feeding you his own is about as sick as buying Bing Bong's tears at DCA.

I am actually surprised the Carribean Resort project did not incorporate more PotC. Little Mermaid has an entire section of a resort already.

Ok, I just read this one and have to ask, why doesn’t it look like a place where kids would eat?

I’m also wondering why people have such a problem with the name? Sebastian’s Cafe.. It doesn’t need to be decked out in little mermaid stuff.. Sebastian was a crab.. crabs exist in oceans and Caribbean beaches..they chose the name Sebastian to throw a nod to their famous crab.. not too far of a stretch to connect the dots there. Right? I don’t see the “disconnect” that everyone else appears to see. 🤷‍♀️

In case anyone forgot- this is Sebastian, the crab with a Caribbean accent and famous song..with steel drums... like they play in the -Caribbean. :)

Last edited:

21stamps

It would be a fine addition to most any strip mall. I liken the "theme" far more to Key West, the Carolina Coast areas, or Bermuda, than anything remotely Caribbean.

A brighter color palette, a greater mix of materials (including items like old "washed up" wood beams, corrugated metal, old tires, and other "found" articles commonly used in Caribbean laypeople "construction"), and more "mismatched" chairs and light fixtures would have all given a much more unique themed environment to "transport" the guest to a Caribbean jerk shack or fish house.

Key West
turtle-kraals-restaurant-key-west-front.jpg

Carolinas
Outer-Banks-Restuarant-Tour_51.jpg

Bermuda
POPUP_HDR.jpg

Caribbean:

bomba%20shack%20copy%202.png

Heritage-Kitchen-950x530.jpg

Unless they are going for the Colonial look of the Caribbean, in which case who cares what it looks like. Which, I must assume, was the intent here.

Wait, nevermind, the intent is to not make any Guest too upset or ask any questions. Mission accomplished. More milk toast, anyone?

Sorry for the multiple posts.. but this one... come on ;). Key West is like a Caribbean Island.
Your photo of the Caribbean restaurant is of a shack, and yes they exist, but believe it or not.. they actually have “sit down restaurants” in the Caribbean as well. They even eat with forks!!!

Anyway, the description had me at Latin, Caribbean food.. I’ll probably never go to CBR for just a restaurant, but it sounds like it coukd be an exciting menu.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

You CAN critique something you love. It's not "hating it". Why is wanting something better so wrong? I just can't look at something with rose colored glasses.

We absolutely do critique when it is warranted. We just disagree about what is “better.”

Sticking a picture of a generic crab on there isn’t “better” to me.

Did shutters make you feel like you were transported to the Caribbean? Because it always made me feel like I was being transported into a place that couldn’t decide whether it’s theme was that of a tex mex restaurant or Carribean inspired, with a touch of Luby’s cafeteria.

...and a touch of inside a large closet.

21stamps

We absolutely do critique when it is warranted. We just disagree about what is “better.”

Sticking a picture of a generic crab on there isn’t “better” to me.

...and a touch of inside a large closet.

I think everyone, myself included, needs to watch the Little Mermaid sometime this weekend. Pay attention to the crab, and we all may have that “oh yeah, I get it now” moment. :) @Kman101 , maybe it’s been awhile since you’ve seen it.
I didn’t know the names or who some of the Rapunzel and Tiana characters were.. happens to the best of us.

LSLS

Ok, I just read this one and have to ask, why doesn’t it look like a place where kids would eat?

I’m also wondering why people have such a problem with the name? Sebastian’s Cafe.. It doesn’t need to be decked out in little mermaid stuff.. Sebastian was a crab.. crabs exist in oceans and Caribbean beaches..they chose the name Sebastian to throw a nod to their famous crab.. not too far of a stretch to connect the dots there. Right? I don’t see the “disconnect” that everyone else appears to see. 🤷‍♀️

In case anyone forgot- this is Sebastian, the crab with a Caribbean accent and famous song..with steel drums... like they play in the -Caribbean. :)

Personally I kind of like the name, but I wish they left the actual character off the sign. I think the subtle hint of it would have been cool. I don't like that he is front and center of the logo.

Missing20K

Sorry for the multiple posts.. but this one... come on ;). Key West is like a Caribbean Island.
Your photo of the Caribbean restaurant is of a shack, and yes they exist, but believe it or not.. they actually have “sit down restaurants” in the Caribbean as well. They even eat with forks!!!

Anyway, the description had me at Latin, Caribbean food.. I’ll probably never go to CBR for just a restaurant, but it sounds like it coukd be an exciting menu.

So like a Caribbean island is a Caribbean island? Cool, good info to know. I had no idea when I was there. Seemed pretty 'Murica to me.

Two photos, one is a shack, the other less shack like, but still "rustic", yes. I used both examples for a reason. I feel they are more indicative of the charm of the people and culture of the Caribbean than the "sit-down restaurants" that are of the Colonial era aesthetic (white table cloths, worm wood chairs, chandeliers, stuffy waitstaff). An aesthetic in which CBR is already drowning.

Also in the Caribbean islands, food shacks, jerk stands, and the like sit side by side with the Colonial aesthetic "sit-down restaurants". They are not mutually exclusive and this could have been an opportunity to enhance the experience through a more "authentic" experience of wandering CBR and having each from which to choose.

People still use forks? ;)

SteamboatJoe

It looks like it could be too fancy to be a restaurant people would be comfortable taking kids to. Though it will be in the Disney bubble and will have Sebastian's face on it so that admittedly probably won't be an issue. I am not saying a family friendly restaurant has to be cartoony or garish but this looks like the lobby bar of some chain hotel in a ritzy suburb.

Incomudro

We will see I guess when the finished product comes out. I hope I’m not wrong. Not because I want to be right but because I would like a restaurant with a nice atmosphere and a good theme. CBR is my go to for moderates.

It's certainly attractive, and an update was much needed.
If I walked into it, I would certainly find it nice.
But I understand what others are talking about.

SteamboatJoe

Personally I kind of like the name, but I wish they left the actual character off the sign. I think the subtle hint of it would have been cool. I don't like that he is front and center of the logo.
Yes, this I could've lived with. There is still the irony of a crab that sings about landfolk's love for cooking his fellow undersea residents and who also survives one such attempt himself, peddling seafood but, then again, Disney has an entire attraction beloved by many based on dark humor.

EDIT: Wow, I found another word I believed to be innocuous that you can't say on this forum. I must be hanging around too many pirates or something.

Last edited:

baymenxpac

yup, i'm right here. totally cool with the name, just would like a more subtle nod. many even a backstory.

"an aspiring restaurateur was laying on the beach one evening, all but ready to give up on his dream of opening an upscale caribbean bistro. suddenly, he heard words of encouragement from the sand below. thinking it was just the sun playing tricking on him, the young chef was assured that this voice belonged to a friendly red crustacean named sebastian, who was attending to royal business for king triton on the island. the owner heeded his new crab friend's helpful advice and named his restaurant in his honor."

if you insist on IP, incorporate it in a fun way to add to the mythology of your existing resorts.

Patcheslee

It looks like it could be too fancy to be a restaurant people would be comfortable taking kids to. Though it will be in the Disney bubble and will have Sebastian's face on it so that admittedly probably won't be an issue. I am not saying a family friendly restaurant has to be cartoony or garish but this looks like the lobby bar of some chain hotel in a ritzy suburb.
I feel like it's not something I would want to go to by looks. Considering it reminds me of Beach Club more than Carribean though may not mean much. IF they have a good steak I'd tolerate feeling out of place.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It's certainly attractive, and an update was much needed.
If I walked into it, I would certainly find it nice.
But I understand what others are talking about.

That is definitely a reasonable assessment in my opinion. But you don't really need my opinion to make a reasonable assessment. :p

21stamps

So like a Caribbean island is a Caribbean island? Cool, good info to know. I had no idea when I was there. Seemed pretty 'Murica to me.

Two photos, one is a shack, the other less shack like, but still "rustic", yes. I used both examples for a reason. I feel they are more indicative of the charm of the people and culture of the Caribbean than the "sit-down restaurants" that are of the Colonial era aesthetic (white table cloths, worm wood chairs, chandeliers, stuffy waitstaff). An aesthetic in which CBR is already drowning.

Also in the Caribbean islands, food shacks, jerk stands, and the like sit side by side with the Colonial aesthetic "sit-down restaurants". They are not mutually exclusive and this could have been an opportunity to enhance the experience through a more "authentic" experience of wandering CBR and having each from which to choose.

People still use forks? ;)

Key West, an Island, is a great mix of upscale and super casual Caribbean vibe...similar to a lot of SoFla’s “Caribbean island” neighbors.

I just felt like your photo examples left a lot out. Sure, islands have a lot of shacks, they also have a lot of colonial buildings.
A shack stand would be great for a pool bar.. but from the photo and description in the OP, it’s a sit down restaurant. I won’t comment on the decor until it’s completed, but I don’t get a “1% vibe” from what’s shown in the drawings. The color palette is spot on for the theme.

Maybe I’m not reading that much into it.. I don’t know. This doesn’t scream “not family friendly” to me.. looks like a Caribbean themed restaurant imo.

B0AB6DFF-1E7B-44E4-B6F4-495734796673.jpeg
06D1E5C5-C5B4-4C44-8C73-47C19D65C26D.jpeg

Missing20K

Key West, an Island, is a great mix of upscale and super casual Caribbean vibe...similar to a lot of SoFla’s “Caribbean island” neighbors.

I just felt like your photo examples left a lot out. Sure, islands have a lot of shacks, they also have a lot of colonial buildings.
A shack stand would be great for a pool bar.. but from the photo and description in the OP, it’s a sit down restaurant. I won’t comment on the decor until it’s completed, but I don’t get a “1% vibe” from what’s shown in the drawings. The color palette is spot on for the theme.

Yes, as I stated, I chose them in particular to highlight my points. I also stated that islands have both shacks and colonial buildings, sometimes right next to one another. I was attempting to highlight that this could have been an opportunity to recreate that experience.

I respectfully disagree about the color palette.

Again, if they wanted the colonial, New World, Caribbean look, they are sorta close in a very generic, my grandma won't be offended, strip mall, I-4 kinda way. I am of the belief, however, that "theme" is a poor choice, given the vibrancy of all of the culture of the islands, not just the Plantation owners.

LSLS

So I googled best Caribbean Restaurants, and got links to all sorts of places. I def see what Missing20k is talking about. There are places that are not shacks, but almost like reclaimed buildings, and then the fancier looking places (like this). The thing I thought would stand out as out of place is the chandeliers, but plenty had elaborate ones. The thing that DID stand out were the chairs. Every place had either wicker chairs, or open back wood chairs. Many also had majority white, but used color in the doorways/windows (which I think would be easy enough here just to add the color).

A couple other things I noticed. Nearly all of them highlight their patios for outdoor dining. I wonder if this will have something similar. The last thing I noticed is that at places that had this look, they were much more upscale ($10-15 for soup, $30 for fish, etc.). I keep going back to that logo, and how if this is going to be modeled on these types of places, I don't like the cartoon logo. Just how I (as someone who's experience is limited to day trips to the Bahamas on a cruise ship) see these things. I just hope it has some really good food if I ever try it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom