News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyernmost

I did not.
If Martin said he didn't say it, then I will concede that my "believed" source was incorrect. But, I did read it someplace on these boards. I said Martin mostly because of all you people he is the only one that I would ever consider to have a clue. It Might have been an offshoot of a different thread, but, it was in response to my speculating that it seemed odd that there would be no lighting of any sort in the Gondola's. I don't make that stuff up, contrary to the desire of some to imply that.

If they don't I can't wait for the lawsuits to happen since it could create a situation that has no one else around to deter the actions of a pervert. Of all the dangers that everyone has spent so much time creating that is the most realistic one that I can think of. So, I apologize if I accredited that information to Martin if it wasn't him, but, whoever agreed that they would have them was wrong making me wrong. You win... It's not going to happen, but, we'll see eventually.

Goofyernmost

Not getting involved in this one... aside from ‘twasnt me. Maybe someone else? I Didn’t know you thought I’d said it (as I said I don’t generally come in this thread anymore). All I’m aware of was a planned no power feed to the towers.
OK, I already admitted that it probably wasn't you, I just thought it was you and I wasn't referring to power to the towers. I was referring to recharging capacities at the station. They can be done quickly with today's technology and not have to have a direct current to each Gondola through out the ride. They only run about 10 minutes between stations. Small potatoes. They make electric transit buses that can completely charge up with just a short stop in a terminal. Not a new idea and the battery pack for such a thing would be really small because of the small amount of power used per vehicle.

If they don't have it, they don't have it, but, just like a lot of the crap I read on the boards it seems pretty stupid and short sighted of those high paid Disney lawyers to not see the possible huge problem total darkness can be. Not like a bus loaded with people traveling through areas with street lighting. Much, much worse, but, I guess that many people will have the opportunity to reach deep in the pockets of TWDC for exposing them to some bad stuff that can happen on a dark enclosed, inescapable capsule floating above the ground. Good luck with that.

DisneyCane

If they don't I can't wait for the lawsuits to happen since it could create a situation that has no one else around to deter the actions of a pervert. Of all the dangers that everyone has spent so much time creating that is the most realistic one that I can think of. So, I apologize if I accredited that information to Martin if it wasn't him, but, whoever agreed that they would have them was wrong making me wrong. You win... It's not going to happen, but, we'll see eventually.

I don't think it will matter as far as perverts go. It's not like it is 100% pitch black at night that you can't see anything. A pervert could get their jollies with much less risk in the HM stretching room, the TOT pre-show or around the castle for fireworks. I would think the confined space of a gondola cabin would deter a pervert more than anything because the victim will know who it is and the perpetrator will be stuck there and risk a beating by a husband/father.

Unplugged

Just got back from a quick trip and I wandered the property a bit to check out the mess. Keep in mind my opinions are based on the snap shot in time that I saw the project in it's incomplete state.

The towers pretty much max out a tree height along Buena Vista Drive, but IMHO look tacky. It was like driving through Six Flags. The towers at EPCOT's International Gateway looked better as they were green, however there are NO trees back there due to all the construction for Skyliner/Rat/etc. The turn station in front of Boardwalk (along Buena Vista) was just odd. The feeling I get from this whole implementation is not good. I'm not saying it isn't a good solution to what they were trying to accomplish, but am saying the personal experience of seeing this solution is personally not a "warm fuzzy".

I still think they'd have been the wiser to extend the water way both from WS Lagoon to CB/Riveria Lagoon, and from Studios to CB/Riveria Lagoon, then used more Friendships. While the biggest issue would be the bridges for Buena Vista Dr & Victory Way, they would have gain some additional great paths for biking/jogging/walking. I know the Skyliner has a greater hourly capacity, but IMHO it doesn't mesh well into the overall resort style and original design intentions, while raising more questions about practicality then it addresses.

Goofyernmost

I don't think it will matter as far as perverts go. It's not like it is 100% pitch black at night that you can't see anything. A pervert could get their jollies with much less risk in the HM stretching room, the TOT pre-show or around the castle for fireworks. I would think the confined space of a gondola cabin would deter a pervert more than anything because the victim will know who it is and the perpetrator will be stuck there and risk a beating by a husband/father.
OK, I'm sure that in a perfect world a mentally deranged person will have considered all those possibilities. However, no matter what the outcome, you cannot undo something that has already been done. And this is different with stretches of unlit areas between stops.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Just got back from a quick trip and I wandered the property a bit to check out the mess. Keep in mind my opinions are based on the snap shot in time that I saw the project in it's incomplete state.

The towers pretty much max out a tree height along Buena Vista Drive, but IMHO look tacky. It was like driving through Six Flags. The towers at EPCOT's International Gateway looked better as they were green, however there are NO trees back there due to all the construction for Skyliner/Rat/etc. The turn station in front of Boardwalk (along Buena Vista) was just odd. The feeling I get from this whole implementation is not good. I'm not saying it isn't a good solution to what they were trying to accomplish, but am saying the personal experience of seeing this solution is personally not a "warm fuzzy".

I still think they'd have been the wiser to extend the water way both from WS Lagoon to CB/Riveria Lagoon, and from Studios to CB/Riveria Lagoon, then used more Friendships. While the biggest issue would be the bridges for Buena Vista Dr & Victory Way, they would have gain some additional great paths for biking/jogging/walking. I know the Skyliner has a greater hourly capacity, but IMHO it doesn't mesh well into the overall resort style and original design intentions, while raising more questions about practicality then it addresses.

I kinda agree with you regarding the look of the towers. However, once the system is running and there are brightly colored gondolas floating by at a constant rate, I think the towers may tend to blend into the background a little more. I guess we will see.

While I like the idea of providing more pedestrian access across the property, the entire process of creating a canal system in this area would be quite an undertaking. First, the water level of the WS Lagoon and Crescent Lake is not at the same level as the other canals around the property. In fact, the Lagoon/Lake water crosses the canal water on a bridge near the International Gateway. In order to make a water system work, it would have to be built at the higher level. That would require much more engineering and higher bridges for road crossings.

Plus, those friendship boats are just too slow. It's quicker to walk from EPCOT to DHS than to take a boat.

note2001

I believe Martin confirmed it not long ago. No lighting in the buses is a horrible idea as well. The only benefit is contributes to is to stop the reflection in the windshield that creates a glare that is annoying, but, not unsafe. And there are other simple ways to prevent that, which a number of drivers were amazingly smart enough to figure out. No lighting invites problems but it is especially elevated within a small area. Having been a bus driver I am painfully aware of the folly of no lighting and was shocked when I first rode one of Disney packed full of people, grope buses. The only thing that really is a concern when sorting through all mentioned stupid scenario's listed in this thread.

And like all the other stuff, there are things that we just don't know for sure. Is that one of them? Sure, but, all they do by not simply solving that problem is open themselves up to major problems. It doesn't have to be light bright enough to read a book by, but, just enough so it isn't complete darkness. I don't see any added lighting along the pathway to help illuminate the interiors so I would not surprise me to see some small easily chargeable lighting system on each Gondola. The technology does exists and with the fact that the number of stations they pass through that could be used to recharge the devices a very real and wise thing to have included. AC no way!... safety lighting, well, Disney will get what they deserve if they left it out for the sake of saving money. That could end up being the costliest saving in the history of mankind.

My belief is that Disney will have some small LED lights fitted in, with a small solar power cell on the roof. However, you forget the age we live in: there doesn't seem to be anywhere we can go anymore (theater, haunted mansion, bus) that doesn't have a few cell phone screens lighting up the way. Complete darkness is reserved for multi day blackouts.

Last edited:

Flalex72

No insider has confirmed it. That falls under "well, surely there must be some lighting!" forgetting that buses shut off all their light at night en route.

I've considered the fact that Disney buses are unusually dark at night, but they benefit from the perceived safety of having a CM on board, and from having a good reason to turn the lights off.

My odds are still about 50/50 on these things having some sort of lighting or onboard audio system. Nothing says WDW like a good infotainment spiel!

Incomudro

I kinda agree with you regarding the look of the towers. However, once the system is running and there are brightly colored gondolas floating by at a constant rate, I think the towers may tend to blend into the background a little more. I guess we will see.

While I like the idea of providing more pedestrian access across the property, the entire process of creating a canal system in this area would be quite an undertaking. First, the water level of the WS Lagoon and Crescent Lake is not at the same level as the other canals around the property. In fact, the Lagoon/Lake water crosses the canal water on a bridge near the International Gateway. In order to make a water system work, it would have to be built at the higher level. That would require much more engineering and higher bridges for road crossings.

Plus, those friendship boats are just too slow. It's quicker to walk from EPCOT to DHS than to take a boat.

Yes, it's going to look quite a bit better when these towers are "strung," and the gondola's are gracefully cruising along.

rickdrat

On a related note, these little beauties could solve the power problem easy. Damn shame Universal holds the IP on them.

Mr_Fusion_by_emmokapp.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom