Lighting in Pandora

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Pandora could stand to have a lot more of the bioluminescent plants luminescing. A lot more of the red and yellow plants would mix with all the blue to create a soft white light mix.

EPCOTServo21

I think, with any project, there will always be elements that would or could vastly improve the overall design and feel of an area. Unfortunately, as with everything, there are so many limiting factors when it comes to stuff like this (some that I’ve seen mentioned on here before and others that I’m not sure anyone would ever even think of unless it was something they were working on themselves). Having so many limitations and hoops in place in order to achieve even the (seemingly) most menial of things can, and does, really affect the end result of a project.

I personally would add that i think more luminescent plants would definitely help the area at night. There’s definitely a (missed) opportunity there.

rsm

The sad thing is that the section of Fantasyland by Pooh is darker than Pandora ever was. Do they add lights there because it's too dark? NooooOOOOoooo...
This. I'm a lighting designer by trade and next time I'm there I'm going to bring a light meter to both areas. Personally I LOVE how dark it is outside of Pooh but I can't believe they get away with it. But you're right, Pandora was never that dark.

EPCOTServo21

This. I'm a lighting designer by trade and next time I'm there I'm going to bring a light meter to both areas. Personally I LOVE how dark it is outside of Pooh but I can't believe they get away with it. But you're right, Pandora was never that dark.

They aren’t “getting away” with much at all. Pandora wouldn’t be open if Reedy Creek didn’t measure and approve the lighting levels....but you using your own meter will be sure to give you some surprising results!

rsm

By "getting away with" I was referring to guest complaints ; not code requirements or inspections.

Patcheslee

We were there a couple weeks after Pandora opened. I didn't mind the lighting aesthetically, but I definitely broke out some glow sticks for the DD8 at the time. Made it easier to find her.

Trackmaster

There very well might be some minimum standards that have to be met. Lighting is out of my wheelhouse, but the state sets codes and design standards for everything from window height, to the spacing between the balusters on a fence or stair case so it is quite possible that there is a minimum lumen and color temperature required for the lighting for a public area.

Nah, for the Six Flags Fright Fest, they turn all of the lights off in the midways and start blowing fog everywhere so that their costumed entertainers can sneak up behind you and scare you in the pitch black. This isn't in a maze or a haunted house, its in the general pathways that you need to walk to from section to section. There's no minimum standard once you buy a ticket. You assume the risk. Granted, there were a ton of cops stationed around the park when the lights go off though.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m guessing six flags doesn’t have the same risk management team that Disney does. Lots of local parks and attractions do all types of things that Disney won’t do. I mean tourist railroads all over the country run classic steam locomotives, at wdw they are installing electric starters on the steam locomotives and they don’t allow engine crews to stand on the tender to re-fill the water.

Trackmaster

I’m guessing six flags doesn’t have the same risk management team that Disney does. Lots of local parks and attractions do all types of things that Disney won’t do. I mean tourist railroads all over the country run classic steam locomotives, at wdw they are installing electric starters on the steam locomotives and they don’t allow engine crews to stand on the tender to re-fill the water.

Well, I think at Disney whenever there's a problem, they just pull the guest by the arm, walk them through the underground tunnels, and you mysteriously never hear of that person again...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom