Tipping for Mousekeeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
DH and I took our first WDW trip in 1984 and have gone back almost every year since - twice a year since we joined DVC. We write either “housekeeping” (by DH) or “mousekeeping” (my preferred term) on a piece of paper folded around the tip. We’ve never had a tip left behind.

Denise. W

Never called you a liar. Didn't imply that you were lying. Not bragging about how many times I've been there (I'm very well aware that compared to many people on message boards we have been there very few times. Thanks for bragging about your Disney trips. We're all impressed. And by the way, I stated that I was only referring to our last 8 trips. I've been there more than that but I was not the one in charge of leaving the tips on those trips.). I simply stated these facts: 1. I've always addressed our envelopes to "mousekeeping" and never had them left behind. Included the numbers to show it wasn't just a single trip or a one time "lucky" thing. 2. In all these years I've never heard of someone indicating a tip envelope wasn't taken simply because it said "mousekeeping" instead of "housekeeping" before you said it. 3. I was simply wondering if the left-behind "mousekeeping" envelopes were not left in an obvious place and the housekeepers didn't see them. Doesn't really matter, mine were always taken even though many of our mousekeepers spoke very little English. 4. I think we're all aware that "mousekeeping" is a made-up word. I've also read that it is a term that is explained during orientation so that everyone in Disney housekeeping is aware of it.

No need to get all wound up about it. Have a good evening and try not to twist other peoples words to make yourself the victim. If my innocent comments got you upset, you might want to consider not posting on message boards as I'm pretty mellow and laid back -- wait to get upset until someone actually does call you a liar.
Actually, I have been on message boards since the late 1990's (RADP and the DIS) so I know the drill. Have a nice day.
Denise

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
This is the drill
images(34).jpg

Not sure how it applies to mousekeeping 🤔🤔🤔

Yellow Shoes

I’m a bit late to the game here.
There are MANY websites to purchase or make Mousekeeping envelopes. Google it.

Also, to prevent confusion, here is Spanish for
“For our housekeeper”
para nuestro ama de llaves

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I’m a bit late to the game here.
There are MANY websites to purchase or make Mousekeeping envelopes. Google it.

Also, to prevent confusion, here is Spanish for
“For our housekeeper”
para nuestro ama de llaves

Goodness what if they don't read Spanish?!?!? We have left both cash on nightstand folded, and also sometimes in envelope title MOUSEKEEPING. Never ever came back and found it left behind. :angelic:

disneyfireman

I am just curious, this is their job, why are we tipping mousekeeping? Do they make a reduced salary, like a server? I am unaware. We do not have mousekeeping, we clean up after ourselves and get new towels everyday from the carts, so this is new to me. We were robbed my housekeeping in another hotel years ago, so we no longer have them enter the room
They are paid much more than a server. Tipping is totally up to you. We do not tip most nights. Some we do. A couple bucks. The service we get is no more or less than it’s supposed to be.

Last edited:

DisneyOutsider

We usually decline mouse keeping for the duration of our stay and then leave a $5-$10 tip upon checkout, since they will be cleaning up whatever is left of our mess.

You shouldn't feel forced to tip, but I think as someone fortunate enough to take a paid vacation, it's something you should seriously consider.

Sorry to hear that . We had the ceiling fan running all night and it kept the balloon dancing which must have worked.
Not to derail this thread, but then again, there have been so many threads about this so why not....but the balloon thing didn't work for us. The air shut off as soon as we went to sleep. Every time I woke up in a puddle of sweat, I literally had to dance around the room until it turned on again. Then it was on for 20 minutes and then it snapped off. I think I got more exercise dancing around the room in the middle of the night to get the air back on than from walking around the parks. Grrrr.
Call the front desk about it, they will send someone up who can change the thermostat. They push the buttons in a certain order and it works like a regular thermostat. At least that is what happened to us a couple of years ago at SSR.

Club Cooloholic

I am just curious, this is their job, why are we tipping mousekeeping? Do they make a reduced salary, like a server? I am unaware. We do not have mousekeeping, we clean up after ourselves and get new towels everyday from the carts, so this is new to me. We were robbed my housekeeping in another hotel years ago, so we no longer have them enter the room
It's common practice in the US to tip housekeeping. If 2 dollars a day is too mvuh of a stretch for you on your Disney vacation, perhaps you should rethink such a trip.

Dave B

It's common practice in the US to tip housekeeping. If 2 dollars a day is too mvuh of a stretch for you on your Disney vacation, perhaps you should rethink such a trip.
Never heard of this in my life, but I will also say that we do not have housekeeping come in our room since we were robbed a few years back, so maybe this is why I am not aware

disneyfireman

Nothin to do with that. As for common practice. Disagree with that. Some tip. Some don’t. Different strokes for different folks.

Club Cooloholic

Never heard of this in my life, but I will also say that we do not have housekeeping come in our room since we were robbed a few years back, so maybe this is why I am not
Nothin to do with that. As for common practice. Disagree with that. Some tip. Some don’t. Different strokes for different folks.
Guys, Google hotel tipping in the United states . I'm sorry you were never properly educated on how this works. And a lot ofpeople apparently do not understand this common custom. There are lots of them that society continues to ignore, like giving your seat in a bus to an elderly person or pregnant woman, allowing the person exiting a building to to do so before trying to push your way into the building. Again it's not required, it's not a law, but it is the decent and yes classy thing to do.

Last edited:

disneyfireman

Guys, Google hotel tipping in the United states . I'm sorry you were never properly educated on how this works. And a lot ofpeople apparently do not understand this common custom. There are lots of them that society continues to ignore, like giving your seat in a bus to an elderly person or pregnant woman, allowing the person exiting a building to to do so before trying to push your way into the building. Again it's not required, it's not a law, but it is the decent and yes classy thing to do.
Opinions are free. You have yours others has one also . Opening a door for an old person and tipping in a hotel room two different things. Tipping is personal preference. And as for properly educated as to how it works. Lol. Gotcha.

Club Cooloholic

Opinions are free. You have yours others has one also . Opening a door for an old person and tipping in a hotel room two different things. Tipping is personal preference. And as for properly educated as to how it works. Lol. Gotcha.
So your that guy that demands to not leave a tip for the cabin steward on a cruise ship? Cause yes Disney will just assume your going to tip them because....yes that's common practice.

BuddyThomas

Hurray! More people bragging on social media about not tipping. I hope that makes you feel good about yourself. You keep doing you. Me, on the other hand, if I’m not willing or able to give a few bucks a day to the person changing my sheets and scrubbing my toilet, I think I’ll just stay home instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom