Caribbean beach resort worth staying? Due to refurb

Geppetto

Original Poster
How bad is the construction at the Caribbean beach resort? Is the pool and food court open? Is it worth staying? This week?

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
A friend from work was there a couple of weeks ago, he said the noise is hardly noticeable afaik the food court is closed but there is an alternative to it available, he didn't mention the pool being closed to to me.

lawdogNOLA

We're back from a 9-night stay, 5/29-6/7. The noise was not bad for us in Aruba Building 55, which was the closest to the construction at the Riviera. The main noise source was the Riviera; expect that to remain the case until it is completed. Next was the expansion and refurbishment of Old Port Royale. It was not bad while we were there and while we used the pool, which is open and in great shape. Other than adding a 4th gondola pylon while we were there, there was nothing much going on at the Riviera Skyliner station. There was lots going on at the Main Skyliner station, but it wasn't very nosiy when we ate at the new Spyglass Grill in Trinidad South. Those who stayed at Jamaica could give a better answer, but it didn't seem very noisy. They also started construction on what seems to be a 5th gondola pylon in Jamaica's parking lot, but this was fairly far away from any of the buildings, right up next to the roadway.

There are Island Markets for snacks in a number of rooms throughout the resort, with Coke Freestyle machines also replacing some ice machines at limited locations. These expand your resort mug drink options into the hundreds, and are available 24/7. The new Quick Service Counter restaurant, The Spyglass Grill in Trinidad South, offers breakfast lunch and dinner. It is covered, and next to the quiet pool in Trinidad South. It is open air and the food is good. They had a TV there, on the wall, set to Disney Junior while we were there, and plenty of ceiling fans with a pleasant, open-air view of the south part of Barefoot Bay and the new Skyliner Station (construction site).

The food tent at Centertown offers breakfast and dinner buffets for the price of a quick service meal on the dining plan! The dinner buffet has some nice Caribbean twists, and competes well with any other buffet at WDW. Even if you're paying cash, it's still a great savings versus other dinner buffets. Lunch is more basic quick service fare, but still good.

So, construction: Not bad. Further, rooms are all refurbished, and compare well, amenity wise, with deluxe resorts. Also, the Caribbean Cay Island in the middle of Barefoot Bay acts as a sound barrier to construction at the Riviera and Old Port Royale. Trinidad North is a very good place to be these days. Food: Very good right now. Pool is open and great.

It is well worth staying at.

lawdogNOLA

Great info, thx! The buffet will really help us use up a few extra Quick Service credits if we can make it up in time for breakfast a few of days! :p

What was the bus frequency / wait times like?

That, I can't say. We drove, and I've found that it's faster getting around using our car for 3 of the parks, with only MK sometimes beating out the car with bus times, due to the doorstep delivery of the buses, and since we were lugging a scooter around, we never even went to MK except by car. I can say that it seemed like there were always buses at the CBR, and that there are new electronic bus signs showing expected arrival times at all the bus stops. Also, bus times are now available on the My Disney Experience App, if you've got a valid reservation.

higgipoker

That, I can't say. ...

All sounds great, thanks! We noticed last year it would be useful, and seemingly simple feature to add, to have the bus times on the app!

Don't see anything yet, I suppose it may kick in once we have checked in at the resort. Can't wait! :cool:

PG 134

TV's in the bus stops display estimated bus arrival time. Internal Shuttle has 7 stops. Parks and Springs routes have 6 stops before departing the resort. ESPN picks up at the new Old Port Royale stop.

HouCuseChickie

Not sure what building they were in, but my parents stayed there last week and had a nice stay. They didn’t feel the construction was bad , plus it meant really good rates for them.

higgipoker

We are in Aruba right now. As we spend very little time at the resort anyway we are hardly affected by the refurbishments.

Room is great and the buffet is fantastic value if you are on the quick service dining plan.

Buses have also been great both to and from parks, though one morning we did arrive at the bus stop to hear people complaining about waiting an hour. Our experience has been top though.

lawdogNOLA

I'm glad to hear it's going great for you. We also stayed in Aruba, building 55, which, as you know, is right next to the construction for the new Riviera Skyliner station, and is closest to the Riviera construction area. Have a great trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom