Easy to travel bottle brands?

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
I know I keep posting that I'm a newbie when it comes to traveling with a baby, but I just am (it's so weird to feel like a newbie!) :D We are leaving in two and a half weeks, and I'm planning on shipping a bunch of stuff down and ordering more on Instacart so we don't have to travel with a ton of stuff (we also ordered a stroller from a local place so it will be delivered to our hotel).

My daughter typically uses Avent bottles with a size 3 nipple, and I'm not sure if I should just buy and boil some in advance, then reuse and wash them every day while we're there, or if there is a better bottle for traveling. She'll be turning 7 months while we're there and is taking formula and just starting solids (today, actually!), so she'll be getting bottles 3-4 times a day. I'm planning on bringing probably 6 bottles, I think, to play it safe.

My doctor said that her immune system is built up fine at this point so I don't have to worry about bringing any type of sterilizer, just using dish soap will get them nice and clean for her. So any tips about using and traveling with bottles are much appreciated -- especially brands (although I'm thinking she might not appreciate getting a new brand of bottle and nipple all of a sudden on vacation so maybe it's better just to buy some new Avent bottles and sterilize them in advance.

Princess_Beatrice

Just bring the bottles you have. It’s not worth the extra trouble of buying and introducing something new.
During our last trip my son was 11 and still on formula. I packed 5 or 6 bottles. We stayed in a villa so I washed them in the dishwasher once a day.

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone! Did you bring a drying rack for them or just set them on a towel to dry? We'll be at POP and I will have room on the table (we're light Packers so it'll be mostly my baby's stuff!) to set things out to dry.

Next trip we're getting a villa - it will be so much easier!

WDWDreamer4

We also used Avent bottles. I breastfed but had bottles just in case. When we used bottles we just washed them and left them to dry on a towel in the room. I took a small bottle of free and clear dish soap and used a washcloth to clean. I would not introduce a new bottle at this point.

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
We also used Avent bottles. I breastfed but had bottles just in case. When we used bottles we just washed them and left them to dry on a towel in the room. I took a small bottle of free and clear dish soap and used a washcloth to clean. I would not introduce a new bottle at this point.

You may consider bringing your own small towel to lay them out on. Just a thought.

Thank you both! I am packing special baby dish soap (I'll tape the pump and keep it in a plastic bag), and I think I'll throw in our own towel too. Great ideas :) We're leaving in 9 days so it is crunch time - I'm afraid I'm going to forget something important, but hopefully not!!

kimberlymautz

I agree with everyone else! Using your normal bottles and washing in the sink is so easy. I just went in May with my kiddos, my daughter turned 7 while we were there and my son was 7 months. I brought 6 bottles down and packed enough for each day plus an extra (just incase). I also started introducing a sippy cup a couple of days before so I could make sure he was getting enough fluids because holy moly did this boy SWEAT. I just used a towel to dry, but I've recently bought a small drying rack that folds flat for our trips down the shore and it's made my life easier and I wish I'd had it then.

I haven't seen your other posts you've mentioned (because I've been a slacker on here recently) but I would also suggest grabbing some cooking towels if you don't have them already! My son LOVED them and it kept him cool even on the hottest days and he could chew on it which helped with his poor aching gums also. Haha. I got one in the parks (I believe it was about $15) but then saw them at Walmart down there when we stopped for formula and they had them for $5!
20180520_113105.jpg

We had to tie it to the stroller so he would stop dropping it. Haha.

Have a great trip! It's such a fun age!

CaptainAmerica

(we also ordered a stroller from a local place so it will be delivered to our hotel).
I know it wasn't your question, but IMO that's a terrible idea for two reasons.

1. You know how to use your own stroller. You can open it, close it, operate it, etc. with minimal hassle.

2. You're going to want your stroller in the airport. In my experience (seven week-long trips with a child 3 and under), having the stroller in the airport is even more important than having the stroller in the parks.

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
I agree with everyone else! Using your normal bottles and washing in the sink is so easy. I just went in May with my kiddos, my daughter turned 7 while we were there and my son was 7 months. I brought 6 bottles down and packed enough for each day plus an extra (just incase). I also started introducing a sippy cup a couple of days before so I could make sure he was getting enough fluids because holy moly did this boy SWEAT. I just used a towel to dry, but I've recently bought a small drying rack that folds flat for our trips down the shore and it's made my life easier and I wish I'd had it then.

I haven't seen your other posts you've mentioned (because I've been a slacker on here recently) but I would also suggest grabbing some cooking towels if you don't have them already! My son LOVED them and it kept him cool even on the hottest days and he could chew on it which helped with his poor aching gums also. Haha. I got one in the parks (I believe it was about $15) but then saw them at Walmart down there when we stopped for formula and they had them for $5!
View attachment 298901

Great idea about the towels - thanks! We have started her on the sippy cups the past few days too 👍 Your little boy is so cute 😊

I know it wasn't your question, but IMO that's a terrible idea for two reasons.

1. You know how to use your own stroller. You can open it, close it, operate it, etc. with minimal hassle.

2. You're going to want your stroller in the airport. In my experience (seven week-long trips with a child 3 and under), having the stroller in the airport is even more important than having the stroller in the parks.

Ironically, we have barely used our stroller at home so we don't know it very well at all (and neither does our daughter). We are using a wearable carrier in the airport, so I'm not too worried about it (although those may be my famous last words 🤣). Thanks, though!

boilerpicc

We always brought enough bottles to cover feedings for a day, and then washed them in the room at night. I packed a bottle brush and a small bottle of dish soap. One time, we stayed at a beach house and used the dish soap there to clean bottle, not noticing that the soap had lotion added to it. It must have made the bottle taste weird, because our daughter wouldn't drink anything from it. Since then, we always packed soap.

It's been a couple of years since I last travelled with bottles, but the Baby Care Centers used to have Muchkin bottle sterilizers available for use. We used them a couple of times during our trip. That might be an option too. Those places are amazing!

Nsaudra

View attachment 298901

What a beautiful baby , he has a great smile

Weather_Lady

Thanks, everyone! Did you bring a drying rack for them or just set them on a towel to dry? We'll be at POP and I will have room on the table (we're light Packers so it'll be mostly my baby's stuff!) to set things out to dry.

Next trip we're getting a villa - it will be so much easier!

When we traveled with a baby, we packed our folding bottle drying rack from home, simply because the bottles dried so much faster on it, although if you don't already own a folding one, I wouldn't bother investing in one. That, a tiny bottle of dish soap (we just squeezed some into a rinsed-out sample shampoo bottle from a previous trip) and bottle/nipple brush are all you really need to wash up bottles when you're away.

Keep in mind that if, in a worst-case scenario, all the nipples tore or bottles broke while you were on your trip, you can find more (along with baby food and any other baby supply you can think of) at any of the onsite hotel gift shops.

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
When we traveled with a baby, we packed our folding bottle drying rack from home, simply because the bottles dried so much faster on it, although if you don't already own a folding one, I wouldn't bother investing in one. That, a tiny bottle of dish soap (we just squeezed some into a rinsed-out sample shampoo bottle from a previous trip) and bottle/nipple brush are all you really need to wash up bottles when you're away.

Keep in mind that if, in a worst-case scenario, all the nipples tore or bottles broke while you were on your trip, you can find more (along with baby food and any other baby supply you can think of) at any of the onsite hotel gift shops.

I am pleased to report that we ended up taking our bottles from home and washing them out -- it worked out really well. We were at POP, and the newly refurbished rooms actually helped quite a bit. We used the new "ice bucket shelf" (for lack of a better term) as "bottle central" and set them on paper towels there to dry at night and after feedings in our room.

Thank goodness we don't have to deal with bottles anymore! Just sippy cups...and toddler tantrums 🤣 Seriously though, we are so excited to take our daughter in December (she'll be 2 weeks away from her 2nd birthday). She loves her Mickey toys and we listen to a bunch of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse songs on our HomePod (she isn't watching TV yet). She knows Mickey, Minnie and Daisy really well, so we can't wait to see how she reacts when she meets them 😍

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom